Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   What do you think about this quote? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=330769)

siccjay 09-06-2005 12:14 PM

Re: What do you think about this quote?

[ QUOTE ]
I think her choice of words was very unfortunate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you can chalk this one up as a bad choice or words.

Voltron87 09-06-2005 12:17 PM

barbara bush is so ignorant, and so goddamn out there, i cant even put it into words.

tek 09-06-2005 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't even understand what she's trying to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

She is saying that sleeping on astroturf with thousands and thousands of strangers is better than the hovels they came from...

jakethebake 09-06-2005 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do. I'm not sure the exact meaning of what she was saying, but I don't entirely disagree with her.

These people lost their homes and don't have any money. They found them a place to sleep. If I lost my home, I'd be in a hotel somewhere. I have money for a hotel and they don't. They're fortunate to have a place to sleep. Yea, I feel bad for them, but should we put them up at the Four Seasons?

siccjay 09-06-2005 12:21 PM

You are joking. Right?

Stuck 09-06-2005 12:22 PM

Let them eat cake.

09-06-2005 12:24 PM

I wish Texas would secede. It bothers me that they have the same voting rights down there as we do in NY.

touchfaith 09-06-2005 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are joking. Right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it. True colors show through at times like this.

swede123 09-06-2005 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do. I'm not sure the exact meaning of what she was saying, but I don't entirely disagree with her.

These people lost their homes and don't have any money. They found them a place to sleep. If I lost my home, I'd be in a hotel somewhere. I have money for a hotel and they don't. They're fortunate to have a place to sleep. Yea, I feel bad for them, but should we put them up at the Four Seasons?

[/ QUOTE ]

At first I thought of this as just a poor choice of words. Obviously nothing about these guys' situation is working out very well. But then I listened to the complete soundbite and the most insensitive thing in my opinion is when she goes on to say "it's sort of scary how everyone wants to stay in Texas." I can see how a city like Houston would be dreading a massive influx of poor people with no jobs, no houses or nothing of anything, but to go out and say it's kind of scary that they are wanting to stay is pretty damn heartless.

Swede

TheMainEvent 09-06-2005 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Her quote has nothing to do with who is paying. She is saying that the astrodome is perfectly acceptable for poor people, and the implication is that if suburbanites got evacuated, we'd better find some luxury accommodations because that's what they're used to.