Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Johnny Damon signs with Yankees (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=402449)

kenberman 12-20-2005 11:49 PM

Johnny Damon signs with Yankees

According to CBS in Boston. 4 yr deal, $52m.

hurumph

Joe Tall 12-20-2005 11:55 PM

Re: Johnny Damon signs with Yankees

Why do the Yanks continue to get older? I think they just hurt themselves as Damon showed some signs of age last year and he isn't all that young anyway. He never had an arm so if he legs break down, the Yanks just got themselves Bernie Williams part II.

12-20-2005 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

hurumph

[/ QUOTE ]

This move will get criticized by a lot of Yankee fans early on. I have a feeling they'll change their tune quickly, though.

kenberman 12-20-2005 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do the Yanks continue to get older? I think they just hurt themselves as Damon showed some signs of age last year and he isn't all that young anyway. He never had an arm so if he legs break down, the Yanks just got themselves Bernie Williams part II.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, but I'll miss him.

sublime 12-20-2005 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

hurumph

[/ QUOTE ]

bye!

now the red sox can trade for jeremy reed!

i was going to make a post about the NYY signing dotel to a good deal, then they go and do this??????

CASHMAN, YOU JUST HAD BERNIE WILLIAMS WEIGH DOWN YOUR TEAM FOR 2 SEASONS NOW YOU SIGN A GUY WHO WAS NEVER AS GOOD AS HIM ON THE SAME DECLINE??????????????????

UCF THAYER 12-21-2005 12:00 AM

God this is horrible, i would have much rather just waited 6 months for Mike Cameron.

sublime 12-21-2005 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, i will also. However, the RS cant make mistakes like the yankees can. this signing is a mistake.

Dynasty 12-21-2005 12:04 AM

Damon gets on my scumbag list along with Boggs and Clemens. It seems even worse with Damon since he won a World Series with the Sox and the rivalry peaked while he was on the team.

Damon will be 32 (and a half) at the beginning of the 2006 season. He'll be 36 at the end of the contract. By comparison, Bernie Williams was 37 at the end of last season.

sublime 12-21-2005 12:05 AM

i am perplexed by the NYY. the last few weeks i was CONVINCED that the NYY were going to do a slight rebuild on the fly and deal with being a 85-90 win team the next couple of seasons, then they go out and make one of the worst signings this offseason. i mean really, WTF goes on over there?

pokerdirty 12-21-2005 12:07 AM

*cries inside*

brettbrettr 12-21-2005 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Damon gets on my scumbag list along with Boggs and Clemens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't the Sox think Clemens was done and wish him sayonara? Also, Boggs got a ring out of the deal, so I don't see how you can fault that.

brettbrettr 12-21-2005 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i mean really, WTF goes on over there?

[/ QUOTE ]

This one has Steinbrenner written all over it. He loves stars. He disregards age.

I don't like this move at all. Damon is a great hitter. But he's got no arm and in two years he'll pretty much be Bernie.

kenberman 12-21-2005 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, i will also. However, the RS cant make mistakes like the yankees can. this signing is a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. this reminds me of the pedro/mets deal. will make sense for 2 or 3 years, but not the last. we'll see if it ends up being worth it.

sublime 12-21-2005 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Damon gets on my scumbag list along with Boggs and Clemens. It seems even worse with Damon since he won a World Series with the Sox and the rivalry peaked while he was on the team.

Damon will be 32 (and a half) at the beginning of the 2006 season. He'll be 36 at the end of the contract. By comparison, Bernie Williams was 37 at the end of last season.

[/ QUOTE ]

and johnny was not nearly as good as bernie to begin with (obv talking prime years)

Dynasty 12-21-2005 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't the Sox think Clemens was done and wish him sayonara? Also, Boggs got a ring out of the deal, so I don't see how you can fault that.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter. Red Sox players who sign with the Yankees get on the scumbag list.

Bill Parcells is there too.

kenberman 12-21-2005 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter. Red Sox players who sign with the Yankees get on the scumbag list.

Bill Parcells is there too.

[/ QUOTE ]

OT, but:
"I resign as HC of the NYJ"

maybe my favorite qoute ever, and it was directed right at Parcells

brettbrettr 12-21-2005 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems eminently reasonable.

pokerdirty 12-21-2005 12:16 AM

AIM Convo with Mr Voltron, notice the change in tone about 1/2 way through:

Voltron: i have a great halloween costume for next year
P. Dirty: ?
Voltron: im going to be jack bauer
Voltron: with a bulletproof vest that says CTU
P. Dirty: wow
P. Dirty: that hasn't been done
Voltron: STFU
P. Dirty: way to think of that one 5 YEARS LATER
Voltron: and i'll have other people dress up as terrorists and shoot them
P. Dirty: i'm sure you'll have some brown friends at upenn
Voltron: theyll just have to be the darker kind of jew i guess
Voltron: psssh
P. Dirty: what
Voltron: jack bauer pops his collar i bet
P. Dirty: lol
P. Dirty: no
Voltron: ?
P. Dirty: no no no nonononononononononono
Voltron: ??????????????
P. Dirty: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0#Post4246589
Voltron: 2p2 isnt loading for me
Voltron: wtf
Voltron: is it working for you?
P. Dirty: obviously
Voltron: wtffffffffffffffffffff
P. Dirty: or i wouldn't know that the yankees just signed johnny [censored] damon for 4 years $52 mil
Voltron: no
Voltron: your kidding
Voltron: asdiguyhebwuiloa4rhjf
Voltron: 120834u803yr08fihjddim21
Voltron: noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

kenberman 12-21-2005 12:17 AM

I think it's a good costume

sublime 12-21-2005 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you think so? I can't think of any deals w/ an AAV of $19m that have been signed recently. there are now a # of $13-$15m guys, but $19M?

well, lets look at the most recent, paul konerko.

if we use the past 3 seasons to project next seasons production using the baseball prospectus stat BRAR (batting runs above replacement) in a 3/2/1 weighting system (i am hijacking this from a poster on SOSH EricVan) then we get this:

manny:

62 x 3
62 x 2
73 x 1

konerko

48 x 3
40 x 2
4 x 1

manny comes out to project to about 63 RAR and konerko comes out to equal 38. of course some will say that, hey thats not fair konerko had a horrible year in 03, while i will say, yeah manny didnt!

manny cashes in at 3.30 runs per million

konerko cashes in at 2.92 per million spent

lets be very optimistic for konerko and eliminate 2003 (which i dont see a good reason to, but will for humor purposes)

konerko then clocks in at 44.8 expected runs which is 3.44 runs per million, still barely more cost efficient than ramirez.

lets now do abreu

his BRAR

54 x 3
73 x 2
60 x 1

projects to produce about 61 runs above replacement level, which equates to 4.17 runs per million.

you can now easily see why the red sox would do this deal, and philly would laugh at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

the post from earlier this month where i was making an attempt to put a value on how much a guy costs per run created.

here is how JD's new deal breaks down:

2003 22 BRAR (22x1)
2004 38 BRAR (38x2)
2005 35 BRAR (35x3)

he could be expected to produce 33.8 BRAR in 2006. at 13m that equates to 2.6 runs per million, which is worse than konerko. now johnny damon plays CF at an average level, so that gives him more value, however by year 3 this deal will be horrific not just bad.

rwperu34 12-21-2005 12:24 AM

This deal will help the Yankees in 2006/2007. It wouldn't be too far fetched for Damon to still be productive at the age of 35. I don't think this is a terrible signing for the Yankees. If Damon can continue to produce, which he surely will at the begining of the contract, this contract is on par with the Furcal contract in terms of $/yr. It's a little more risk, but the Yankees can afford to take that risk. So can the Red Sox. Another negative from the Red Sox perspective is, Kenny Lofton just signed with the Dodgers.

utmt40 12-21-2005 12:28 AM

I say dont let the door hit you in the ass on your way out!

12-21-2005 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
*cries inside*

[/ QUOTE ]

Their other alternatives weren't too juicy, and to get the likes of Torii Hunter may have meant dealing Cano and/or Chacon.

sublime 12-21-2005 12:33 AM

I don't think this is a terrible signing for the Yankees.

i dont either, when you compare it to the chan ho park signing.

its awful. period. you just cant look and say "well he will be good in 2005 and 2006" you have to look at the money he is getting and what he will produce over the life of the contract. its a [censored] signing, and if it was any other team in baseball who did it the laughing would be hard to stop.

sublime 12-21-2005 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
*cries inside*

[/ QUOTE ]

Their other alternatives weren't too juicy, and to get the likes of Torii Hunter may have meant dealing Cano and/or Chacon.

[/ QUOTE ]

jaque jones at 3/16 would have been a much better move.

Voltron87 12-21-2005 12:39 AM

I like the deal, we have a pretty big hole in CF and damon can fill it for 1-2 years. He should have a .800+ OPS and he can cover a lot of ground, he obviously won't be an MVP candidate but he will definitely do a good job. He can be our leadoff hitter and provide some good speed on the bases. Honestly, he can bring speed to CF and hold down the fort defensively, and his OPS the last two years has been over 800 and should stay that way. That works very well.

sublime 12-21-2005 12:46 AM

I like the deal,

no, you like the fact that you get to have a good CF next year.

3rd grade math would tell you the 'deal' is horrible.

Pudge714 12-21-2005 12:46 AM

The Yankess overpaid for a over the hill player with star power I am shocked.

UCF THAYER 12-21-2005 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the deal, we have a pretty big hole in CF and damon can fill it for 1-2 years. He should have a .800+ OPS and he can cover a lot of ground, he obviously won't be an MVP candidate but he will definitely do a good job. He can be our leadoff hitter and provide some good speed on the bases. Honestly, he can bring speed to CF and hold down the fort defensively, and his OPS the last two years has been over 800 and should stay that way. That works very well.

[/ QUOTE ]

His last 3 years have been below .800 OPS on the road.

DougOzzzz 12-21-2005 12:48 AM

I don't think this is that bad for the Yankees. Sure, they overpaid a bit. The Yanks can afford to do that as long as they get production. Damon will probably be good for at least the next 2 years, and may be OKAY the next 2. He certainly is a major upgrade to last year's CFs.

The Red Sox were right not to match the Yankees offer, but the Yanks offense for 06 looks pretty awesome at the moment.

DougOzzzz 12-21-2005 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Split stats are overrated.

Voltron87 12-21-2005 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the deal,

no, you like the fact that you get to have a awesome CF next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

he can hit in a leadoff spot (since jeter is not a true "leadoff hitter") and play defense. that is all the team really needs right now, they dont need him to be as good as Arod or giambi.

DougOzzzz 12-21-2005 12:50 AM

By the way, where will Damon hit in the Yankee lineup?

They'd be dumb to knock Jeter from the leadoff spot. Doesn't seem like he'll be anywhere above 7th in the order, possibly a "second leadoff" man.

sublime 12-21-2005 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like the deal,

no, you like the fact that you get to have a awesome CF next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

he can hit in a leadoff spot (since jeter is not a true "leadoff hitter") and play defense. that is all the team really needs right now, they dont need him to be as good as Arod or giambi.

[/ QUOTE ]

i am not arguing that damon is valuable, i am saying the 'deal' is bad.

Voltron87 12-21-2005 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

which means his home OPS must be .950 or something, baseball is a game of math and numbers these days, at UCF they teach you about the laws of averages, right?

sublime 12-21-2005 12:52 AM

They'd be dumb to knock Jeter from the leadoff spot

that answers that question [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Voltron87 12-21-2005 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i am not arguing that damon is valuable, i am saying the 'deal' is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree, it is awesome on all levels.

btw i am suprised the sox did not match the yankees offer (maybe a sign of disharmony now that theo is sipping tequila on san diego beaches?) since it was only 5.2 million for multiple years.

DougOzzzz 12-21-2005 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

which means his home OPS must be .950 or something,

[/ QUOTE ]

Well there you have it. The Yankees signed Damon to beat the Red Sox at Fenway Park.

Voltron87 12-21-2005 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well there you have it. The Yankees signed Damon to beat the Red Sox at Fenway Park.

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting theory doug. so you are saying that damon will keep his old .900+ OPS at fenway even while he plays there in a different uniform and bounce up to a new .900 + OPS at yankee stadium as well (since it is now "home")? so home/road spilts dont apply because he is basically at home all of the time? interesting.

DougOzzzz 12-21-2005 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting theory doug. so you are saying that damon will keep his old .900+ OPS at fenway even while he plays there in a different uniform and bounce up to a new .900 + OPS at yankee stadium as well (since it is now "home")? so home/road spilts dont apply because he is basically at home all of the time? interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said, split stats are overrated - but Fenway is a hitter's park. It also suits certain hitters better than others. Wade Boggs owes much of his HOF career to a +.200 OPS split at Fenway. It's possible Damon is one of these guys who excels at Fenway and is just average elsewhere.

It's also possible that the H/R splits are the result of a moderate park effect and random chance.