Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   bubble hand, UB $22 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=323529)

nath 08-26-2005 05:01 PM

bubble hand, UB $22

This is from a few days ago. Can't get the proper output from the hand converter.
The big question is, what does the small blind's bet mean?

Cutoff: 2840
Button: 2510
SB: 6130
BB (Hero): 3520

Blinds: 100/200

Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

cutoff folds, button raises to t400, SB calls, hero calls.

Flop: (t1200) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

SB bets 1200, Hero...

Raemius 08-26-2005 05:06 PM

Re: bubble hand, UB $22

I think he's taking a shot at the pot, thinking there being two queens already out, another queen having been dealt is not likely. I'd probably call this, You are probably way ahead. If he had the Q, he would want atleast some callers and not bet so high. What was your read on the guy?

I'd like to hear what some of the old hands have to say.

08-26-2005 05:10 PM

I'm not a good player, I'm actualy kinda new, but.. I'd raise, I think that the SB is looking to keep you undercontrol and buy the pot. I'd toss it back at him and see him fold.

I'm interested to see what others would do..

pearljam 08-26-2005 05:13 PM

Easy push. He is the big stack and is probably bullying or, "protecting" his 2. Also Q with a lower kicker then your J is more likely then QK or AQ.

PS: If you dont know what to do in this situation, fold this hand preflop from now on.

downtown 08-26-2005 05:25 PM

The SB's bet means he has a lot of chips and wants to buy the pot. Smooth call and let him fire another shot on the turn if he wants, at which point he'll hopefully put you all in or you can go all in over the top. If he checks the turn to you, don't be afraid to continue to trap and check back. You have position, use it. You're way ahead here 99% of the time (not 99% to win, mind you, just % of the time you're ahead).

downtown 08-26-2005 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Easy push. He is the big stack and is probably bullying or, "protecting" his 2. Also Q with a lower kicker then your J is more likely then QK or AQ.

PS: If you dont know what to do in this situation, fold this hand preflop from now on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh both parts of your advice are terrible IMO. Do you want the aggressive player to fold when you come over the top? I don't. Why not let him fire again? Why not let the LP player come over the top and bluff? It's unlikely, but we can hope, can't we? I am putting my chips in as a caller to an all-in with no hesitation here.

Folding QJ to a minraise, getting 5:1 and closing the action PF on the bubble with 17.5BB is also horrible. Puke!

nath 08-26-2005 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What was your read on the guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

He'd been decently aggressive with his stack, but I didn't see anything too out of line. I was the most aggressive player at the table.

[ QUOTE ]
If you dont know what to do in this situation, fold this hand preflop from now on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that wasn't an option getting 5:1 odds, and when I saw the flop i was like "BAM!" but the pot-sized bet wigged me out a little.

I'll give the results after I hear some more responses.

DyessMan89 08-26-2005 05:50 PM

Only thing I can see him betting here (that has you beat) is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. He might have that, but he probobly doesnt. Im calling the flop, and letting him fire away on later streets.

08-26-2005 06:03 PM

Had you pushed all in over the top on anyone recently? If so this could be a good time to do so again and get a spite call? If he seems smart he may realize the smooth call from an aggresive player as being a trap. Hard to say which way will get more money into the pot.

lastchance 08-26-2005 06:17 PM

Calls and gets his chips in on the turn.