Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   call bluff with AK? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=114292)

theBruiser500 08-18-2004 03:40 PM

call bluff with AK?

This opponent is bad, I don't have a read past that. What hands do you put him on?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $10 BB (4 handed)

Button ($328)
Hero ($914)
BB ($1043)
UTG ($443.45)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $10, Button calls $10, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $60</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, Button calls $50.

Flop: ($140) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $90</font>, Button calls $90.

Turn: ($320) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: ($320) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets $178 (All-In)</font>

Wayfare 08-18-2004 03:48 PM

Re: call bluff with AK?

I would call simply because you are getting so much from the pot. AQ/KQ/ all pocket pairs are good possibilities.

CollegePlayer 08-18-2004 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This opponent is bad, I don't have a read past that. What hands do you put him on?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $10 BB (4 handed)

Button ($328)
Hero ($914)
BB ($1043)
UTG ($443.45)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $10, Button calls $10, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $60</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, Button calls $50.

Flop: ($140) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $90</font>, Button calls $90.

Turn: ($320) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: ($320) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets $178 (All-In)</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Would he cold-call with AA?

I think this is an easy call, against typical players.

theBruiser500 08-18-2004 04:26 PM

i very much doubt he has a high pocket pair, note he limped after another limper

hoc 08-18-2004 05:01 PM

i'd like to know how much the guy brought in for. you say the guy is bad, but if the money will put him back to where he started it seems a good place for him to bluff and i would call. if it leaves him still below his buyin then i would fold and wait for a better opp as it is more likely he will carry on playing untill he has his money back. it might also cause him to run the bluff again.

hoc 08-18-2004 05:05 PM

the fact it is shorthand also gives you more chance that you will get his stack in the end, which makes the decision more of a coin flip.

Sal Allegra 08-18-2004 05:24 PM

If he had a pair, he might have raised, JJ's - AA's, he sucks so he might have A3 or hell K3s, but for 180 dollar bet, just call man.

tewall 08-18-2004 05:58 PM

Assuming the 178 were a half-pot bet, which is pretty close, you should call if you think there's better than a 1 in 4 chance of a bluff and fold if less. If you're not sure, look at your watch, and call if the big hand is between 12 and 8.

creedofhubris 08-18-2004 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming the 178 were a half-pot bet, which is pretty close, you should call if you think there's better than a 1 in 4 chance of a bluff and fold if less. If you're not sure, look at your watch, and call if the big hand is between 12 and 8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good analysis, tewall.

I find it very difficult to put opponent on a hand. It's clearly not a big pair, but a bad player could have a 3, or could have paired either of the other cards.

theBruiser500 08-19-2004 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I failed to look at it this way during the game. I have a very big aversion to paying people off (hence I get people telling me I'm weak-tight on here which I guess I am). So I just didn't want to pay off a better hand of his, and I decided there was a chance he had me beat so I folded. Had I looked at it your way, "is there a 1/4 or better chance I had him beat", the right way, I would have called. It just didn't make sense to me the way he played it, so I felt there was a good chance he was bluffing.