Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Do you feel like a sissy when... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=380999)

ChuckyB 11-18-2005 01:32 PM

Do you feel like a sissy when...

...you fold on the flop after being a pre-flop raiser?

I've been finding that I'm folding on the flop more as opposed to taking one off just to see. I know it's the right thing to do when the pot/implied odds aren't and the flop isn't in my favor. But I feel like just a wimp doing it.

Anyone else?

mosdef 11-18-2005 01:37 PM

Re: Do you feel like a sissy when...

[ QUOTE ]

I've been finding that I'm folding on the flop more as opposed to taking one off just to see. I know it's the right thing to do when the pot/implied odds aren't and the flop isn't in my favor. But I feel like just a wimp doing it.

Anyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I feel like a winning player when I make bets and calls with positive expectation.

coffeecrazy1 11-18-2005 01:48 PM

Yeah...a wimp with more money.

I would say get over it, because such a move is the correct one...unless your self-image of being strong is more important to you than your self-image of being a winning poker player. If not...call/raise away.

Also, would you prefer your opponents to think you're a weak player or a strong one?

hellite 11-18-2005 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally, what you need to do is this:
multiply the the level of wimpiness X the probablility that your hand is good X the likelihood that villain knows you are a wimp X the likelihood that you actually are a wimp. Take this number and divide it by ZERO. If the number you get is greater than 1 you should be calling. If the number you get is less than 1 then you are a wimp.

mosdef 11-18-2005 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
multiply the the level of wimpiness X the probablility that your hand is good X the likelihood that villain knows you are a wimp X the likelihood that you actually are a wimp. Take this number and divide it by ZERO. If the number you get is greater than 1 you should be calling. If the number you get is less than 1 then you are a wimp.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got #DIV/0!. What does that mean? Is that less than or greater than 1?

soko 11-18-2005 03:02 PM

Div/0 is infinity

chesspain 11-18-2005 03:28 PM

I don't mind skipping all the way to the bank.

11-18-2005 04:22 PM

Sure, it sucks when you raise up your AdAh, get five callers, and the flop comes down 9 8 7 all clubs. SB bets, BB raises, UTG reraises, and you...?

- fold, knowing your hand isn't worth squat, or you say...
- "Cappucino!" because you're a tough guy and want to throw good money after bad?

Taking one off just to see is usually a recipe for disaster, IMO.

ScottieK

11-18-2005 07:18 PM

No, I would feel like a sissy not putting more bets in with the best hand. Of course, there are close calls that require call downs...

But folding on the flop after a preflop raise? I actually find it funny sometimes. I'll see players in chat calling me a maniac occasionally because they think I should play like them. Good times.

ChuckyB 11-19-2005 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind skipping all the way to the bank.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the best answer I've ever had...mainly for the mental picture of a grown man skipping down the street.