Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Persons killed in Iraq (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=396917)

odellthurman 12-12-2005 04:05 PM

Persons killed in Iraq

This is interesting, regardless of your position on Iraq.

Bush comments on 12-12-05 about number of persons killed in Iraq: "I would say 30,000 more or less have died as a result of the initial incursion and the ongoing violence against Iraqis," the president said. "We've lost about 2,140 of our own troops in Iraq."

And this is from a website devoted to remembering victims of the 9-11 terrorist attacks: "CONFIRMED DEAD: 2948 • REPORTED DEAD: 24 • REPORTED MISSING: 24 • TOTAL: 2996"

BCPVP 12-12-2005 04:58 PM

Re: Persons killed in Iraq

I think he's talking about those who died from combat-related injuries, not those who died in accidents. Just a guess.

theweatherman 12-12-2005 07:50 PM

I think he was trying to show that over 10X the amount of people havedied in Iraq than died on 9/11.

Autocratic 12-12-2005 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think he's talking about those who died from combat-related injuries, not those who died in accidents. Just a guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds right, though it would make his statement incorrect.

peritonlogon 12-12-2005 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

His early statement is not just American troops, but Iraqis too, and it's probably way on the low side.

BCPVP 12-12-2005 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

His early statement is not just American troops, but Iraqis too, and it's probably way on the low side.

[/ QUOTE ] According to this site, he's actually on the high side.

Arnfinn Madsen 12-12-2005 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] According to this site, he's actually on the high side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, maybe his source? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] In all honestly, I heard the clip when he says it and he does not claim that his number is correct. He puts it out as a guesstimate.

BCPVP 12-12-2005 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In all honestly, I heard the clip when he says it and he does not claim that his number is correct. He puts it out as a guesstimate.

[/ QUOTE ]
Which is the honest thing to do, since we really have no way of knowing precisely how many Iraqis have died. Hell, libs can't even nip at him for picking a lower, better looking number..

Cyrus 12-13-2005 03:50 AM

They are not persons, they are kilos

May I remind you how some of those "dead American soldiers" over whom Bush is crying crocodile tears are coming home to be buried ?

Cargo freight!

PoBoy321 12-13-2005 04:05 AM

You could basically throw out any number and make it right. I think that the really important number is the number of civilian casualties as a result of US military and occupational action in Iraq. You'll be able to find out exactly how many Iraqi lives are worth 1 American life.