Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   A not very interesting AA hand (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=106884)

Vazh 07-27-2004 11:33 AM

A not very interesting AA hand

Opponents are decent but not great. I don't like the way I played it. I think I need to 3bet the flop or CR the turn. I lean towards 3betting the flop. I think by calling the flop bet I had decided to CR the turn, but then I decided I really didn't want to risk having the turn checked thru. It's the SB's flop raise cold-call that has me concerned he might be drawing.

Paradise Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $5.
UTG calls, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (11 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

River: (11.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 14.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 14.50 BB, between Hero, Button and SB.</font>

jt1 07-27-2004 11:36 AM

Re: A not very interesting AA hand

Yep, I don't do things like that out of position. Just 3 bet the fool.

NUReedy 07-27-2004 11:56 AM

Button probably has something like KQ, QJ, or AQ

sthief09 07-27-2004 11:57 AM

in a small pot, check raise the turn
in a big pot, 3-bet the flop

that's my take at least.

colgin 07-27-2004 12:13 PM

I would three-bet the flop here and then lead the turn. Since you did not I think you need to go for the turn check-raise.

All the best.

Colgin

mikeyvegas 07-27-2004 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in a small pot, check raise the turn
in a big pot, 3-bet the flop

that's my take at least.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, but why do you differentiate your line due to the size of the pot? When I first read this hand, I was thinking call the flop and check-raise the turn because of the number of players left seeing the turn and my position to the flop raiser. I have no great logic behind this, it's just what I've been doing.

sthief09 07-27-2004 12:36 PM

to steal Ed's line, say Bill Gates threw a million dollars into the pot. you go for a check-raise. it gets checked through. uh oh [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

in a small pot, if the fucker wants to take a free card, I'm not happy, but it was worth trying to squeeze out the extra bet.

Vazh 07-27-2004 12:42 PM

Does Ed (or anyone else) give a guideline as to what defines a big pot? I would consider this big once the flop raise gets back to me.

I just got the book yesterday and haven't read it yet.

colgin 07-27-2004 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does Ed (or anyone else) give a guideline as to what defines a big pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ed does give some guidelines although it is largely matter of judgment. I don't have thebook with me atwork so I can't give you a page number. It is on the section (surprise) on Big Pots v. Small Pots.

StellarWind 07-27-2004 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does Ed (or anyone else) give a guideline as to what defines a big pot?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's in the book. But don't expect any great enlightenment. He gives some general guidelines but there is no sharp dividing line. Not that I would expect one.

This pot is certainly big.