Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Omaha/8 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   100PL - Too weak with nut straight? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=358641)

mason55 10-16-2005 01:32 AM

100PL - Too weak with nut straight?

Should I have reraised flop when I know I have the nuts? I was worried about another AJ with the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. On the turn I just feel lost and have no idea what to do.

I call UTG with 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

3 others call plus SB and BB.

Flop comes Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked to me, I pot for $5.70. MP3 min-raises to $11.40. I call. The two of us take a turn.

Turn is T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and I get lost.

Burdzthewurd 10-16-2005 02:22 AM

Re: 100PL - Too weak with nut straight?

This is a toughy. You are a big dog (4-1) against nut straight/nut flush draw/top set with heart blockers, a 3-1 dog against top set with a better diamond draw, and a coinflip against nut straight/set. You need to include stack sizes here definitely. I would call, but if Villain was crazy, I wouldn't mind raising pot here. I'd tend to pump any heart turn that doesn't pair the board, along with any blank. In this case, I think a check is the best idea to see what Villain does.

mason55 10-16-2005 02:27 AM

I had 100 he had me covered. Forgot the turn action. I checked and he potted for ~40 or so.

mason55 10-16-2005 02:29 AM

Also, is this a good opportunity to call the flop and look for a safe turn? I always seem to miss those situations but this seems like a good example.

xorbie 10-16-2005 08:14 AM

There is no way I don't reraise full pot flop. People will gladly get all in with a set or with AJ no [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] at all.

Wintermute 10-16-2005 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was worried about another AJ with the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]
Yikes. Try to proceed based on a range-of-hands approach. Sure, there's a chance he's freerolling you with better flush or set+str, but there's probably an equal, maybe better chance he has naked str and you're freerolling him.

So I'd jack it again for the pot on the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
On the turn I just feel lost and have no idea what to do.

[/ QUOTE ]
My approach would avoid this problem--part of playing a hand like yours out of position is anticipating the chance that the board will give your opponent a bluffing situation... getting all-in on the flop makes your life easy.

mason55 10-16-2005 02:39 PM

Cool. Easy enough. I'm still learning when to worry about being freerolled.

Wintermute 10-16-2005 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cool. Easy enough. I'm still learning when to worry about being freerolled.

[/ QUOTE ]
Since the vast majority of other players in online games are not even aware of the concept of freerolling, a good rule of thumb to use is that whenever you flop/turn the nuts with *any* redraw, be willing to go to war, and play it aggressively.

There are exceptions (as in playing against a known winning opponent), but it's a good rule of thumb.

mason55 10-16-2005 02:44 PM

Awesome, thanks for the advice. Part of it might have been the fact that I just moved up last night. I think in the 50's I would have played this flop much stronger. I'm learning that the 100's really aren't much tougher though (except for running into a couple pretty good players).