Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   How much to buy in for in uncapped games (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=152631)

Ghazban 11-23-2004 09:58 AM

How much to buy in for in uncapped games

I normally play the 1/2 $100-capped NL game at Foxwoods but have been considering trying out the 5/5 game with no cap. What is a good amount to buy in for? Conventional wisdom is that you want to have all the worse players covered but, as I haven't played the game before, I doubt I'll be able to tell who those are the moment I sit down (unless I spot some live ones that also play the 1/2). Thanks in advance.

Paul2432 11-23-2004 10:28 AM

Re: How much to buy in for in uncapped games

Buy-in small (300-500) and if the game is good add-on. You can always add chips but you cannot subtract.

Paul

fsuplayer 11-23-2004 01:49 PM

yeah, buy in like 300 and keep 100-200 in quarters in your pocket so you can add on/top off real quick.

if the game is real good and you are comfortable, then rebuy 400-800 more.

Matt Flynn 11-23-2004 02:36 PM

in general i like to have <70bb or >150bb. prefer to avoid having 100 bb as it commonly leads to tough decisions that are so easily avoided with more or less money. the exception is the LC game, in which $2,000 is just so perfect but $3,000 also works well.

matt

FoxwoodsFiend 11-23-2004 02:39 PM

I started my bankroll off at the 1/2 game this summer and was playing the 5/5 game a month later. The one thing I learned is that you get put in a lot of tough spots where you don't know if big-stacks are trying to bully you or if they have you beat if you sit down with less than a thousand dollars. With only 300 bucks or so, you can't really get involved in any pots and have any clue what's going on, because one or two standard bets and you're practically all-in. I say sit down with a thousand, or not at all.

fsuplayer 11-23-2004 02:42 PM

i agree completely. 90-120 BB stack just sucks.

you cant feel good putting it in with TPTK, so you lose the protection of the short stack, and you can really "outplay" someone that much, bc one big raise or reraise and its felt time.

fsuplayer 11-23-2004 02:55 PM

. I say sit down with a thousand, or not at all.

this couldnt be more off.

most of the best players on 2+2 built their BR by buying in short at 5-5 games. with 300-400 in front of you, you dont really have to worry about anything other than get it in with an overpair or TPTK. guys with big stacks dont know how to play against short stacks and will chase w/o good odds or pay you off w/o really thinking twice.

buying short, while slightly boring to me personally, is a great way to build your BR.

bogey 11-23-2004 02:57 PM

good points, what do you guys usually buy in for online in the 100BB cap games then?

turnipmonster 11-23-2004 03:14 PM

I agree with matt and fsu, but paradoxically I always buyin for the max if I'm playing in a capped buyin game, since my goal to to ultimately build a big stack.

--turnipmonster

fsuplayer 11-24-2004 01:05 AM

I always buyin for the max if I'm playing in a capped buyin game, since my goal to to ultimately build a big stack.

yes, bc when I double up, i want it to be for the max. then I have a stack to actually play with.