Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Trader Joe's food (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=393884)

12-08-2005 12:43 AM

Trader Joe\'s food

I just ate some of the corn tortilla chowder soup and it was okay. I usually get their salmon jerky, canadian bacon, wine, various chips and nuts, some bread, and I bought their buffalo wings but I don't like it much.

What do you guys usually get? I want to try different stuff but before I do, I'd like to see what the OOT crowd prefers.

Thanks

IronDragon1 12-08-2005 12:44 AM

Re: Trader Joe\'s food

It's been ages since I've been able to shop at Trader Joe's (sadly) but I was always a fan of the taquitos and turkey stromboli.

calmasahinducow 12-08-2005 12:47 AM

Their frozen desserts are amazing. They also have a very good selection of wines and beer. I like basically everything in the store now that I think about it.

12-08-2005 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's been ages since I've been able to shop at Trader Joe's (sadly) but I was always a fan of the taquitos and turkey stromboli.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you tried the taquitos from CostCo? I get those all the time and I really like them. I think their called DeliMex or something. Are the Trader Joe's one better tasting?

12-08-2005 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Their frozen desserts are amazing. They also have a very good selection of wines and beer. I like basically everything in the store now that I think about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Their buffalo wings and enchilada sucks. Maybe it's just me or maybe I cooked them wrong but they were nasty. I ended up throwing them away.

Most of their stuff seems pretty good although some of their stuff is only for hardcore Trader Joe customers, IMO.

astroglide 12-08-2005 12:55 AM

my grocery shopping involves hitting 3 stores: dierberg's (local nice chain), whole foods, and trader joe's. if i had to select only one, it would be trader joe's despite how tiny it is in comparison to the others.

some regular items for me

- turkey stromboli (salt and dip in sauce below)
- garlic marinara, tomato basil marinara, bolognese sauce

- mediterranean pizza
- pesto and spinach/cheese pizza (rebadged amy's organic)

- lemon grass chicken bowl
- chicken vindaloo bowl
- massaman curry chicken bowl
- red curry shrimp bowl (a little light on sauce)
- spinach tandoori chicken bowl

- spinach garlic cheese chicken sausages (add mustard)

- organic carrot sticks and garlic hummus

- mini beef tacos
- fresh hot salsa

- spicy thai green beans
- misc frozen veggies (edamame, roasted corn, etc)

- southwestern salmon pieces (with corn and salsa)

SossMan 12-08-2005 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
- spicy thai green beans

[/ QUOTE ]

are those the ones w/ the little (pine?) nuts in them? If so, they are fantastic. I also like the frozen gorganzola pesto tortellini. The gnonkies are awesome, too.

Chairman Wood 12-08-2005 01:28 AM

A variety of things. However their fish, even though it is frozen is far superior compared to regular supermarket's fish. I used to grill up swordfish I got there regularly. In addition, I used to buy A LOT of wine there.

dblgutshot 12-08-2005 01:30 AM

Kinda off on a tangent, how much do you guys speed weekly or monthly on groceries (not takeout or eating out). And is it for 1 or 2 or more people. Also include how often you dine-out or take-out only if they are quite significant.