Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Nice trip for Andy Beal (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=86231)

fleece_me 05-15-2004 03:44 AM

Nice trip for Andy Beal

Heard he won 11 million, told everyone how much he enjoyed his stay then promptly left town.

M.B.E. 05-15-2004 07:58 AM

Re: Nice trip for Andy Beal

No big deal, only 55 big bets.

Hirez 05-15-2004 02:08 PM

anyone want to explain what this means to the unedjumicated?

sam h 05-15-2004 03:18 PM

Beal is an uberwhale banker from Texas worth a couple hundred million. He decided a few years back to go to Vegas and learn poker from the best, meaning Reese, Brunson, Forrest, and others in the big game at the Bellagio. For reasons that are still a bit disputed, he quite playing in the big game there and decided he only wanted to play heads up. For a few years now he's been making trips to Vegas and playing for stakes like 30K/60K heads up against a group of people from the above mentioned group who pool their rolls and take turns playing him/busting him. Sounds like he did a lot better this time. I wouldn't really know, but I have not heard of this game getting as big as the 100K/200K stakes MBE implies.

AJo Go All In 05-15-2004 04:19 PM

it's true, forrest won a bracelet for 300K and then went over to the bellagio to play beal 100k/200k

Clarkmeister 05-15-2004 04:20 PM

"For reasons that are still a bit disputed, he quite playing in the big game there and decided he only wanted to play heads up"

The reasons may be disputed, but they should also be pretty freaking obvious.

J.Brown 05-15-2004 04:51 PM

I don't think this is true. I was with Ted F. after he won his bracelet and we were having beers with a group of friends until 3 AM or so. Doubt he went to play after that, in fact he was saying that he didn't want to play at all and that Andy B. was starting to play much much better. Anyway for what it is worth. J.

sam h 05-15-2004 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not much of an insider, but it isn't that obvious to me whether it was because he simply sucked playing full and didn't have the patience to do it or whether it was because they actually colluded against him, as I have heard he alleged at one point.

DanS 05-15-2004 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not much of an insider, but it isn't that obvious to me whether it was because he simply sucked playing full and didn't have the patience to do it or whether it was because they actually colluded against him, as I have heard he alleged at one point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong, but I think Clark's implication is that Beal's hyper-aggressive semi-maniacal playing style is better suited to heads up than a full ring game.

Dan

Clarkmeister 05-15-2004 05:46 PM

No. I am implying that there is collusion in that game. This problem is nicely circumvented by playing headsup.