Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Backgammon Resources (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=344326)

TaoTe 09-25-2005 10:07 PM

Backgammon Resources

Interested in books/internet sites concerning beginners backgammon. I did a search of amazon but came up with a dizzying amount of information which either seemed aimed at advanced players or had very mixed reviews as to the quality.

Is there a "bible" for backgammon players?

Regards,

Tao

amulet 09-25-2005 10:41 PM

Re: gammonpress.com

bill robertie (a 2 time world champion) has written many terrific books on backgammon. he also has a web site which sells, backgammon books (other authors books too), boards, computer software, etc.

thegammonpress.com

or call bill on his business line, 781-641-2091

TaoTe 09-25-2005 10:53 PM

He was my obvious choice because of his work on HOH.

amulet 09-25-2005 11:46 PM

his books are terrific, he gives lessons, and he also recommends and sells other people's books, and other products, which will help your game.

amulet 09-26-2005 10:58 AM

Re: Backgammon Resources

one last thought, in addition to buying a few of the boooks bill suggests for your level of play, i think you should ask him about a backgammon program called snowie. he sells several different programs. snowie is a wold class oponent, and you can learn a huge amount playing against it.

TaoTe 09-26-2005 01:14 PM

A few problems with the program would be that I run a Mac, so I imagine it wouldn't be compatible. Also, what is the price tag on that software?

BarronVangorToth 09-26-2005 01:25 PM

I don't have much to add to this discussion, other than to say that I definitely recommend Bill's books on backgammon. He is a great writer and was even kind enough to answer an email I sent him.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

bigjohnn 09-26-2005 01:25 PM

Amulet is spot on: the Bill Robertie books are easily th best for beginners/intermediates. Read 'Backgammon for Winners' first, and then 'Backgammon for Serious Players'. Once you've digested the material in those (i.e. read them both a number of times and started playing a bit online) then read his '501 Problems' book.

If Robertie's style isn't for you, then try 'Starting Out In Backgammon' by Paul Lamford. Where as Robertie generally commentates on a game to impart his wisdom, Lamford focuses on a particular concept in each chapter e.g. Priming games, back games, cube-handling.

As for software, Snowie is regarded as the best computer opponent. However, it is rather expensive. Instead, have a look at GNU Backgammon as it's free, and also does analysis of positions and decisions(I think it works on Mac as well).

Hope that helps.

John

amulet 09-26-2005 01:35 PM

snowie is expensive, but fantastic. i tried running it on a mac with virtual pc, but it was too slow. there are new versions of virtual pc out, but i suspect it still won't work properly. a friend who uses macs, bought an older used pc for next to nothing just to run snowie.

WhiteWolf 09-26-2005 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A few problems with the program would be that I run a Mac, so I imagine it wouldn't be compatible. Also, what is the price tag on that software?

[/ QUOTE ]

For the Mac (OS X), you might want to check out GNU Backgammon (link) I don't know how it stacks up against Snowie, but it kicks my (beginner) ass, and is freely available.