Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   iPod vs. PSP question (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=405079)

ilya 12-25-2005 06:54 PM

iPod vs. PSP question

Sooo I'm trying to decide whether to get a PSP or one of these new video iPods. Leaning towards the PSP, cos it seems to do all that an iPod does, plus play games. I guess my question is...why would anyone get the iPod instead (style preferences aside)?

Thanks.

p.s. I think the ds crushes the PSP as a gaming machine, but there're still a few PSP-only games I want to play.

p.p.s. I really don't need 60 gigs, I will never want more than 1k songs on there.

Yeti 12-25-2005 06:59 PM

Re: iPod vs. PSP question

Why are you comparing a music device to a gaming device?

Anyway, 60GB > 1GB.

ilya 12-25-2005 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cos I think it's more of a marketing- than a reality-based distinction.

Yeti 12-25-2005 07:03 PM

I would not happily bung a PSP in my pocket, should it even fit. Scratching the screen would be awful.

12-25-2005 07:04 PM

I too am thinking about getting a PSP as an mp3 player. I don't have an iPod and although I would prefer a DS, PSP sounds like something I will find ways to be happy with.

kurosh 12-25-2005 07:08 PM

PSP is pretty big, size-wise.

12-25-2005 07:19 PM

do you think it is too big to be practical as an mp3 player?

kenberman 12-25-2005 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not as practical as an ipod.

this is kind of a dumb comparison

ilya 12-25-2005 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not as practical as an ipod.

this is kind of a dumb comparison

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you guys all think this is a bad comparison?!

They both play music.
They both play video.
They are in the same $$ ballpark. The deluxe PSP kit is $299. The cheaper video iPod is $299.
They are of comparable size. Yeah the PSP is bigger but not by thaaat much. It's about 1.5x as long, only a tiny bit wider, and about twice as deep.
They both have exposed screens & lots of accessories to protect those screens.
The iPod has more memory but the PSP plays games & lets you do internet stuff.

What is so crazy about comparing the two? Just because one is marketed mostly as a walkman & the other is marketed mostly as a gameboy, doesn't mean they are all that different in reality.

kenberman 12-25-2005 07:32 PM

b/c the Ipod is much much better for anybody looking for an mp3 player.

the PSP is a portable gaming gadget that happens to play mp3's.

they're not just "marketed" different; they are different

Jack of Arcades 12-25-2005 07:32 PM

It obviously depends on what you want to use it most for.

The Yugoslavian 12-25-2005 07:38 PM

ilya,

I have the video iPOD and I'm really happy with it. However, as you know I have fewer gaming needs as you. So far I have converted videos so that I can put them on my iPOD. Mainly pron....and while I have had issues with the sound/video tracking at the same time, generally I'm quite happy with watching stuff on it (altho the PSP would has a significantly bigger screen right?). I got the 30gb version and while it is enough for the music I want to have on there.....I certainly couldn't get by with 1gb.

From what I know about you I'd lean towards the PSP unless you feel the DS will be ur main portable gaming platform...then get an iPOD (I still go to work on my GBA [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] and likely will for a while if I jones for gaming on the go).

Yugoslav

The Truth 12-25-2005 07:44 PM

I got a video ipod for x-mas. What kind of conversion do i need to do of my video files? and where do i go to get converters etc?

thanks
blake

ps ill post a report about which to get later. I used my phone as an mp3 player/phone/internet surfer/camera for the longest, i am gonna try this out though.

blake

Maulik 12-25-2005 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, 60GB > 1GB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Ilya,

While 60G > 1G size matters.

-Maulik

New001 12-25-2005 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got a video ipod for x-mas. What kind of conversion do i need to do of my video files? and where do i go to get converters etc?

thanks
blake

ps ill post a report about which to get later. I used my phone as an mp3 player/phone/internet surfer/camera for the longest, i am gonna try this out though.

blake

[/ QUOTE ]
I used a program called, I think, PSP Video 9.

gmrankin 12-25-2005 08:32 PM

Well... I have both and use them for different things... I have music on my ipod as well as videos... but it is a Mp3 player... try going on a trip and listening to music on your psp. it is big. you can put it in your back pocket, but everytime you sit down you will be taking it out. a real pain when you are caring luggage, backpack or whatever. The psp is great for games... i love gta, and it is also good for movies. i bought a 1gig memory card and can easily put i full length movie on it. anyway,

PSP Pros:
bigger screen
play games

PSP Cons:
bigger unit (i said unit)
UND movies expensive $15-20 a piece
1 gig memory card ($100.00)
games $30+

IPOD Pros:
Small
30 or 60 gig
plays vidoes
alot of memory for movies/music
can hook to my car radio
eaiser interface with itunes...

IPOD Cons:
smaller screen
no games??
$299-399

I like and use both but for different uses. pick what you want to do and get that. you want to play games. buy a PSP, you want to listen to music buy an ipod. they are different. can the psp play mp3s?? yes, but thats not what its best for. but if you can't afford both than pick which ever one suits your needs best and save for the other. You can pick up a 2g nano for pretty cheap?? thanks and good luck

Oh yea, for the question about video for ipods?? i use Xilisoft Video Converter. All you do is rip a dvd to your computer and use that program to convert it to the right format for your ipod. also works for psp. $35.00 but it works!

lighterjobs 12-25-2005 08:38 PM

well, it obviously depends on whether or not you want to play games.

i wouldn't get a psp because i have no interest in video games. i think the ipod's are better anyway because you can just store the videos on there and not have to carry around a case with a bunch of games/movies in it.

but if you are interested in video games the psp is a no brainer. my brother got one today and the graphics are awesome.

ilya 12-25-2005 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well... I have both and use them for different things... I have music on my ipod as well as videos... but it is a Mp3 player... try going on a trip and listening to music on your psp. it is big. you can put it in your back pocket, but everytime you sit down you will be taking it out. a real pain when you are caring luggage, backpack or whatever. The psp is great for games... i love gta, and it is also good for movies. i bought a 1gig memory card and can easily put i full length movie on it. anyway,

PSP Pros:
bigger screen
play games

PSP Cons:
bigger unit (i said unit)
UND movies expensive $15-20 a piece
1 gig memory card ($100.00)
games $30+

IPOD Pros:
Small
30 or 60 gig
plays vidoes
alot of memory for movies/music
can hook to my car radio
eaiser interface with itunes...

IPOD Cons:
smaller screen
no games??
$299-399

I like and use both but for different uses. pick what you want to do and get that. you want to play games. buy a PSP, you want to listen to music buy an ipod. they are different. can the psp play mp3s?? yes, but thats not what its best for. but if you can't afford both than pick which ever one suits your needs best and save for the other. You can pick up a 2g nano for pretty cheap?? thanks and good luck

Oh yea, for the question about video for ipods?? i use Xilisoft Video Converter. All you do is rip a dvd to your computer and use that program to convert it to the right format for your ipod. also works for psp. $35.00 but it works!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks man, that's very helpful. Happy holidays.

Stellastarr 12-25-2005 11:14 PM

There are games on the Ipod!

pmuir10 12-25-2005 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

thanks
blake

[/ QUOTE ]

i use this one

gmrankin 12-25-2005 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They are pretty weak though. I have messed around with the solitaire one, but it is a pain.

ilya 12-25-2005 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are games on my cell phone, too. Crappy games.

Is there an iPod version of Tempest? That would make a lot of sense IMO.

fluxrad 12-26-2005 12:02 AM

Buy the ipod. I have both an ipod and a PSP. I use the ipod all the time. I use the PSP...um...almost never.

I'm actually debating selling it on eBay because I use it so little.

12-26-2005 12:04 AM

how much would you sell it for?

gmrankin 12-26-2005 12:07 AM

and get the 60g. I didn't think i would need it but my 30g is full... i need more space!!! I am a ipod addict.

fluxrad 12-26-2005 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how much would you sell it for?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know yet. I'm on the side of keeping the thing just 'cause I don't want to take a bath on it. If I decide to sell it, you'll be the first to know.

KowCiller 12-26-2005 12:47 AM

FWIW I got a video ipod for christmas and I love it.

20Five 12-26-2005 01:04 PM

So I heard there is a software update or something with the PSP that now allows you to surf the web on it? is this true?

I too am in this quandry, but thinking either an Ipod Shuffle, or a PSP.. My only use as a music player would be to walk to work, about 15 min walk.. so i dont need tons of storage space, and the size of it doesnt really matter either as i could probably just throw it in my backpack if i had the bigger psp.

as far as games and movies, i wouldnt mind having something portable to play when im lounging around my apartment, the GTA looks sweet.. but im not convinced i need the added game/movie ability of the psp.

something like web surfing, or added other features might swing me towards a psp.. otherwise i'll save some bucks and get the $100 shuffle.

12-26-2005 01:21 PM

Yeah you can browse the web on a PSP, you can also fit a full length movie on a 1gb memory stick and still have room for music.