Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Epistemology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=366238)

10-26-2005 09:26 PM

Epistemology

Nothing specific, but I was just wondering how you answer the questions- What is Knowledge? and Do We Know Anything? Just looking for a little discussion on how to correctly answer these questions.

jason_t 10-26-2005 09:33 PM

Re: Epistemology

Read G.E. Moore.

chezlaw 10-26-2005 09:47 PM

good intro

Its a huge subject. I'd recommend reading the relevent chunk of
Robert Nozick - Philosophical Explanations. Cambridge: Harvard University Press

chez

10-26-2005 09:47 PM

I like the simple "knowledge = true, justified belief" definition.

The tricky bit, of course, is defining when a true belief is "justified". Personally, I insist on a causal element in my justifications. That is, I only allow a fact to be used as a justification for knowledge of a statement if the truth of that statement and the fact I am using are causally related in some way.

jason_t 10-26-2005 10:05 PM

The Blackwell Epistemology: An Anthology book is really nice, too.

snowden719 10-26-2005 10:26 PM

for those who think that justified true belief is knowledge I reccomend Edmund Gettier's essay "Is Knowledge Justified True Belief" it's very short and easy to understand.

chezlaw 10-26-2005 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for those who think that justified true belief is knowledge I reccomend Edmund Gettier's essay "Is Knowledge Justified True Belief" it's very short and easy to understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gettier problems are in the link above.

chez

10-26-2005 10:31 PM

I've read the gettier paper and although it complicates matters, the requirement of a causal relationship between the justification and the statement overcomes the problems he brings up.

Thus I can still call knowledge true, justified belief - I just must have more stringent requirements on the justifications I use.

chezlaw 10-26-2005 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've read the gettier paper and although it complicates matters, the requirement of a causal relationship between the justification and the statement overcomes the problems he brings up.

Thus I can still call knowledge true, justified belief - I just must have more stringent requirements on the justifications I use.

[/ QUOTE ]
The main problem I have with TJB is it skips the important bit about knowledge.

I want to tell which of my justified beliefs are true i.e. which are knowledge.
pointing out that the true ones are true isn't very helpful.

chez

jason_t 10-26-2005 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The main problem I have with TJB is it skips the important bit about knowledge.

I want to tell which of my justified beliefs are true i.e. which are knowledge.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what JTB is supposed to be doing.

S knows P is true iff
1. S believes P
2. P is true
3. S is justified in believing P.