Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Omaha/8 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   In omaha tournies... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=240972)

"spaceman"Bryce 04-27-2005 05:13 PM

In omaha tournies...

I have only found success by just waiting for the A2 hands unless im on blind or everyone folds to me except blinds.Does anyone else use this strategy? I am pretty new and so far this is the only way ive made cash. Does anyone else do this?Also what is wrong with this/what hands do you play?

Cleveland Guy 04-27-2005 05:47 PM

Re: In omaha tournies...

you need more than just A2 hands - A2 89 - no suits is very weak, as you might get half the pot.

"spaceman"Bryce 04-27-2005 05:49 PM

So in omaha I should wait for even better hands then A2???

CCx 04-27-2005 05:55 PM

"Waiting for hands" is a retarded strategy in any poker tournament.

"spaceman"Bryce 04-27-2005 06:03 PM

Not omaha h/l.

CCx 04-27-2005 06:06 PM

Hope we end up at the same table someday [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

"spaceman"Bryce 04-27-2005 06:33 PM

Hey i was asking for advice..mean people suck

FeliciaLee 04-27-2005 07:34 PM

There are way more nice people on this forum than mean, so let's just start over.

Okay, in a tournament there are many different strategies to succeed. It is very dependent on the amount of chips you are given and the structure.

In the only O8 tourney that I cashed big, the levels were an hour and we were given 3000 in chips, with blinds starting at 15/30 and gradually moving up. It was so slow that it was almost like a cash game. So it played a lot like a cash game. The "fast" O8 players quickly burned out trying to push with subpar hands.

In fast tourneys, waiting for A2, or "monsters" is such a horrible strategy, as I found out firsthand at Commerce in January. I totally got creamed by waiting for top hands.

Top tournament theorists seem to advise that if the structure is such that is more akin to a cash game, we play like we would a cash game. When things speed up, we have to play a lot more hands, and play them faster. Sometimes you just have to suck it in and push.

Keep asking questions.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
www.felicialee.net

Beavis68 04-27-2005 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Waiting for hands" is a retarded strategy in any poker tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is a retarded response, I would expect more from a "poo-bah"

Cleveland Guy 04-27-2005 11:03 PM

Bryce - let me give you a longer answer.

Simply playing A2xx - will mean that many times you are playing for half the pot. So if it goes heads up - you will just get your money back, and what little overlay there is. but if no low comes, - you are throwing away your money.

You really want to get your hands in on pots you can scoop.

I play almost any 3 card -5 or 4 card -6 at least to see a cheap flop. High coordinating cards are also playable, as are hands like A3KK.

I think just waiting for A2 - is more of a long term survival strategy than a winning stragey.

Also - if you beocome that tight - you won't get any action on your hands unless you are beat or quartered.

I hope that helps.