Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   ruined by the river (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=391959)

ErrantNight 12-05-2005 04:30 PM

ruined by the river

3/6 6max (yeah, i should probably start posting over in hush, but that's neither here nor there), currently 5handed

i'm in the sb with JJ, one spade, one diamond

a tag that i have hundreds of hands with opens . he's solid, but he (for whatever reason) really likes to mix it up with me. usually in blind battles. usually this means being overly aggressive, not tricky.

i 3bet he calls.

flop comes A3diamonds and an 8 of not diamonds

bet/call.

turn is a 7 of also not diamonds

bet/call (?)

river is an 8 of diamonds and i can't imagine why i'd want to put any more bets into this pot

jat850 12-05-2005 05:01 PM

Re: ruined by the river

Is he the type to bet at you with nothing if you check because you showed some weakness? If so, will you call if he bets? I played JJ live yesterday in 2/4 in the SB, raising, and wound up facing 3 players and QKxA board. The Ace river caused me to chicken out and not bet it as I had both flop and turn. Got checked around to find out no one had an Q, K or A! Check if you feel like it, but if he bets, I think you need to call on this read in particular.

Scotch78 12-05-2005 05:05 PM

Given your read, my preference is for check-calling the turn and river. First, you could easily be behind, and playing out of position against a TAG is a great way to get charged the max. Second, if he has decided to see a showdown with something like 99, he'll probably raise the turn intending to check behind on the river. Third, the chance of him semi-bluffing a flush draw are pretty high, so you don't need to worry about giving a free card as much.

Scott

sean c 12-05-2005 05:08 PM

Hi Errant by bet/call do you mean villian called your bet on both streets or you bet and called a raise on both streets?

ErrantNight 12-05-2005 05:12 PM

i bet and he called. sorry, that was misleading.

Scotch78 12-05-2005 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Errant by bet/call do you mean villian called your bet on both streets or you bet and called a raise on both streets?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooh, good question. I had interpreted the action as bet-call on both streets rather than bet-raise-call. If it's the latter, then I would need to know exactly how overaggressive he gets with you, but I doubt I'd donk the turn then.

Scott

ErrantNight 12-05-2005 05:20 PM

i don't think he raises the turn w/o an ace

sean c 12-05-2005 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So the turn plan was bet/fold?

ErrantNight 12-05-2005 05:28 PM

yup... this was also my plan for the river... but then i disliked the river card... i'm wondering if it really changes anything

Scotch78 12-05-2005 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a pretty tight read given his aggro nature against you, which makes me curious how he's been overplaying hands?

Scott