Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   2/4 games with a 10% up to $4 rake (Borgata)... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=97188)

blackaces13 06-25-2004 12:39 AM

2/4 games with a 10% up to $4 rake (Borgata)...

If you play in these games, even with very loose/passive opponents, can you really expect to make any $. However slight, can you have an overall positive expectation assuming you tip $1 per pot won? You're likely to pay about 4BB's in rake and tip per hour, that seems mighty steep even against weak players.

So is thr game beatable. How about a 3/6 game with the same exact rake and only slightly better opponents?

Andy B 06-25-2004 02:33 AM

Re: 2/4 games with a 10% up to $4 rake (Borgata)...

I've never played at the Borgata, and I never was able to beat Canterbury's $2/4 HE game. I used to play a fair amount of $2/4 stud at CP which had a 10% rake capped at $4.50 and a $1 jackpot drop. I tipped a dollar, which is a lot to tip in a $2/4 game in my opinion. I beat the game for something like $7/hr because the players were so bad. Given the current climate, if you find the right game, it should be plenty beatable, even with the ridiculous overhead. I wouldn't expect the $3/6 players to be appreciably better than the $2/4 players, so it should be plenty beatable as well.

The primary factor in determining how well you will do in a game is your skill level relative to your opponents'. The rake will cut into your profits significantly, but if you play well and your opponents stink, you should be able to grind out a decent profit, relative to the stakes.

blackaces13 06-25-2004 08:01 AM

Thanks Andy...n/m

RollaJ 06-25-2004 08:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you play in these games, even with very loose/passive opponents, can you really expect to make any $. However slight, can you have an overall positive expectation assuming you tip $1 per pot won? You're likely to pay about 4BB's in rake and tip per hour, that seems mighty steep even against weak players.

So is thr game beatable. How about a 3/6 game with the same exact rake and only slightly better opponents?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes the game is very beatable.

3/6 would be fine, but I doubt you'll be able to find any better players.

I'd recomend playing up to 6-12 if you have the money as that game is soft too.

If in AC a while I think the risk/reward at the 4-8 at the Tropicana may be the best of all those low limit games

blackaces13 06-25-2004 08:32 AM

4/8 at the Trop huh? Are the players there nearly as bad as at the Borg? Because all the times I've been to the Borgata the players have been fantastically bad. Plus the waitresses are hot and the beer comes in bottles, so it would take a lot to get me to the Trop.

sfer 06-25-2004 09:01 AM

Hey Mike, you can consistently kill the Borgata 2/4 and 3/6. If you've got the roll you should seriously consider 6/12 if you spot a soft game.

MercTec 06-25-2004 09:46 AM

Went to the Borgata for the first time about a month ago. Played 3/6 at first, but had some bad luck (KK vs AA twice within 15 hands, flopped nut flush to get sucked out by a full house on the river after capping all streets etc etc) which hurt my roll a bit so I dropped down to 2/4 and won about 20BB in 9 hours. Not great but not terrible either. That includes tips on winning pots and tips to those aforementioned hot waitresses.

Games are very soft, so just play solid poker and you should do fine. Don't do anything fancy as it won't work at these limits....although checkraising does scare alot of the players so you can get yourself a free card if you're on a draw in position.

Just one quick anecdote...5 way pot,raised PF, i'm a bystander on this one, flop comes 996, a bet from UTG, and everyone calls. Turn comes another 9. A bet from UTG, 2 folds, 2 callers. River comes a K. UTG bets, call call. UTG turns over 92o for the quads......uh huh....92o utg in a raised pot. Have fun!

NotMitch 06-25-2004 09:46 AM

I have played in this type of game for about 70 hours (sample size a bit small I know) at Foxwoods and found it to be beatable at a pretty good clip even with the rake and tips, and I tip $1.

highlife 06-25-2004 11:03 AM

i agree the 4/8 at the trop is prob best bet for risk and reward considerations at that level.

scrub 06-25-2004 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Mike, you can consistently kill the Borgata 2/4 and 3/6. If you've got the roll you should seriously consider 6/12 if you spot a soft game.

[/ QUOTE ]

More appropriately, you should alert the media if you spot a tough game. It's not the kind of thing you see every day.

scrub

RollaJ 06-25-2004 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More appropriately, you should alert the media if you spot a tough game. It's not the kind of thing you see every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

BTW I said the 4-8 game was good, not the dealers, not the beer, truthfully of the 2 I dont know which is worse

scrub 06-25-2004 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW I said the 4-8 game was good, not the dealers, not the bear, truthfully of the 2 I dont know which is worse

[/ QUOTE ]

Strange as this sounds, I sort of like the Trop, even now. The room is darker and quieter than the other rooms in AC, which I think makes it a much more pleasant place to sit and relax in.

I don't drink while I play, so I can't speak for the beer, and I'll admit that the dealers aren't the bets (or the worst) I've seen.

But RollaJ is right--the game is good and the limit is a great transition between the smallest games in the room and the larger small stakes games. The switch from 3/6 to 5/10 and 6/12 was the most jarring switch that I've ever made, and looking back, I think that 4/8 game would have been a great transitional game for me to play in.

scrub

chesspain 06-25-2004 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Strange as this sounds, I sort of like the Trop, even now. The room is darker and quieter than the other rooms in AC, which I think makes it a much more pleasant place to sit and relax in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that means without the sense of sight you have to guess the origins of stains by smell or feel only.

scrub 06-25-2004 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess that means without the sense of sight you have to guess the origins of stains by smell or feel only.

[/ QUOTE ]

I rarely find speculating about the origins of stains to be +Emotional EV... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

scrub

sfer 06-25-2004 11:58 AM

I've sat in bad 6/12 games there every so often. Not tough, but not good. Like 7 heads-up flops every orbit. Of course, usually one guy was seeing all of those flops...

risen 06-25-2004 12:12 PM

The only thing I ever liked about the trop is the fact that they sent over asian whores to give you massages at the table if you had the dough. Those borgata waitresses need to add that skill set. And While digressing onto the subject of Borgata waitresses, when I was there last playing 10/20 at about 3 AM, They were replaced by a Borgata Waiter. Which though similarly skimpily clad, did not please my eyes nearly as much. I had to go without hot chocolate until he rotated off. I know you have to be equal opportunity employers and all, but looking up to give a waitress a head nod for service and being met instead by the steely gaze of a dude in a tight fitting shirt ruins my shwerve.

scrub 06-25-2004 12:23 PM

Yeah, BorgataDude sucks.

Dawn, the very cute asian Borgata waitress actually plays in the small NL game when she finishes up some of her shifts. The game she sat in was next to my 10/20 table last time I saw her do it, and she turned what had been a terrible game into an incredibly live game in about 5 minutes. Now THAT is a skill set... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

scrub

blackaces13 06-25-2004 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know you have to be equal opportunity employers and all, but looking up to give a waitress a head nod for service and being met instead by the steely gaze of a dude in a tight fitting shirt ruins my shwerve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats's pretty funny man. I've seen the Borgata drinkman too. I bet he makes a shyteload in tips just the same as all the waitresses there must. It not like the girls working there are gonna bang you (or me) anyway.

toots 06-25-2004 12:33 PM

Drinks carrying dudes in tight fitting shirts?

Where was this again?

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

scrub 06-25-2004 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Where was this again?

[/ QUOTE ]

The funniest thing is that he's not even an attractive or particularly built guy, which makes the tight shirt look even more comical.

scrub

RollaJ 06-25-2004 12:50 PM

I have seen a guy toss a green chip into one of the waitreses pushed up cleavage (she asked he not do it anymore when he was throwing red chips, not surprisingly she allowed the green chip).That being said, I doubt the guy makes as much

toots 06-25-2004 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Where was this again?

[/ QUOTE ]

The funniest thing is that he's not even an attractive or particularly built guy, which makes the tight shirt look even more comical.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, never mind then.

Shoot, and I was all ready for an AC road trip. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]