Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Please stop using "Retarded" (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=84004)

ericd 05-04-2004 11:54 AM

Please stop using \"Retarded\"

Spend a day helping out at Special Olympics instead.

Michael Davis 05-04-2004 01:34 PM

Re: Please stop using \"Retarded\"

You're a retard.

-Michael

ericd 05-04-2004 01:40 PM

I guess I shouldn't be stunned by a response such as this but nonetheless I am.

Michael Davis 05-04-2004 01:45 PM

This response was, again, retarded.

Seriously, your post is utterly pointless. I am not opposed to helping Special Olympics, but I see no reason to post it here, and no reason to associate improper uses of the word "retarded" with giving money to Special Olympics.

If you have a point to make about the use of the word, then make it, but don't come at me spouting some crap about giving money to anyone. The fact that I enjoy using dollar bills as toilet paper over giving money to your cause has nothing to do with this forum.

-Michael

P.S. And, you're a retard.

ericd 05-04-2004 01:55 PM

Nowhere did I mention money. What I did was:

1. Ask that people stop using the word retarded the way they do in these forums.

2. I suggested that they might give some of their time to help at Special Olympics. I thought this might give them pause for throwing the word retarded around in the manner they do.

daryn 05-04-2004 01:56 PM

wow, what a flame fest out of nowhere!

spontaneous combustion if you will.

Homer 05-04-2004 02:00 PM

He's saying we shouldn't use the term "retard" as a putdown. We should show some consideration for people who actually suffer from mental retardation. They can't help the state they are in, and their condition should not be used to insult non-retarded people who are slow to understand something, say something stupid, etc. I don't see anything in his post that should make you think he wants us to give money to the Special Olympics. He's just saying that maybe if we volunteered for the Special Olympics, we would gain some perspective and would understand why using the term "retard" to insult people is uncalled for.

I think his message is simple and easy to understand. I think your responses were distasteful.

-- Homer

ericd 05-04-2004 02:02 PM

Thank you.

Duke 05-04-2004 02:36 PM

I'm definitely one of the biggest offenders.

I suppose it -is- a bit out of line to group horrible card players with people who are actually mentally handicapped. After all, real retards actually can't learn, and the players that it's usually applied to have no excuse.

It's actually a great point that you're making here, since the special olympics would show heartless bastards like me that retards actually do try, and they just can't. With normal people, there is no try.

Usually.

Maybe we should call them William Hung's, since he sucks and doesn't care. That would be more appropriate. I had a hard time convincing a buddy of mine that William did not have Down's syndrome, though, so maybe he is retarded.

Yeah I know I'm going to hell.

~D

Dynasty 05-04-2004 02:36 PM

I wonder if butchers are insulted when they here somebody say something like "I really butchered that hand".

I'm sure butchers, as a group, are decent people and perform their jobs competantly. So, why should they be burdened with their profession being synonymous with incompetance?

Why do people use language to denegrate the butchering (sp?) profession?

Andy B 05-04-2004 02:43 PM

I find that people frequently use "gay" in an inappropriate manner as well. I suggest that such people spend some time hanging out in gay bars.

RocketManJames 05-04-2004 02:43 PM

Ya, but William Hung gets paid LOTS of money to make appearances. Those poor non-thinkers who you are considering calling William Hungs don't get paid at all, but pay others instead.

Why don't we all just come up with a completely politically correct term for those we previously dubbed "retarded."

Any suggestions? I used the term "non-thinker" above, but maybe that's just wrong. There do exist those who don't think but are quite successful at what they do precisely because they don't think. Think of an incredibly boring and meaningless job that pays well... a thinker would go nuts and quit; the non-thinker would simply work it and continue to get paid.

-RMJ

Duke 05-04-2004 02:46 PM

Best. Post. Ever.

~D

daryn 05-04-2004 02:50 PM

the thing is, if a guy is gonna get that upset about the usage of the word retard for the reasons you listed, then he should also be upset when people refer to others as idiots. after all isn't an idiot just a guy with some certain IQ or lower, just above a cretin? certainly if one is born an idiot (gabby) it's not his/her fault.

Dynasty 05-04-2004 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Best. Post. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst grammer, ever.

It's once sentance. Why are you making it three sentances?

andyfox 05-04-2004 02:56 PM

You think calling a person a retard is equivalent to saying someone butchered a hand? How about if I say so-and-so jewed me down on a price? I had someone accuse me of this just last week, the second time in my life I heard the expression. Should I not be offended?

daryn 05-04-2004 02:58 PM

i don't think you should. i thought it was well known that jews were shrewd bargainers, no? not all course, but some generalizations are mostly correct. for instance, italians usually smell like garlic for some strange reason, what could it be?

Andy B 05-04-2004 02:59 PM

Worst spelling ever

Well, the worst spelling in this thread, anyway.

Duke 05-04-2004 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you making it three sentances?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I should have used ellipsis (...)(sp?) to indicate the pauses.

I take it you didn't vote Simpsons in the cartoon poll.

~D

ericd 05-04-2004 03:10 PM

My last response to this thread

When I wrote this post I expected no responses. I thought I'd just let you know that using the word retarded as it is used on these forum offends me.

I was surprised by a couple of you who responded. I didn't realize the logical thought pattern that was used at poker can be mutually exclusive from dealing with human issues.

I will sign off on this issue. I hope a few of you who viewed this will heed my request.

Eric

Mike Gallo 05-04-2004 03:11 PM

here ..its hear .

Did you butcher the language or are you a retard?

Just kidding I could not resist.

Dynasty 05-04-2004 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I take it you didn't vote Simpsons in the cartoon poll.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just read that thread for the first time and was forced to vote for "Misc assorted japanese animation adventure type cartoons" so that Star Blazers got it's proper vote. However, I don't like any other anime.

Comic Book Guy is funny. I recently just saw the Best...Death...Ever for the hundreth or so time.

daryn 05-04-2004 03:12 PM

Re: My last response to this thread

i still maintain that if the use of a word like that offends you, than you must be offended by a lot of other words like idiot, moron, etc.

a lot of things offend a lot of people. luckily, nobody is forcing you to read this forum.

Wakko 05-04-2004 03:14 PM

This thread is so gay.

http://www.photo.net/photo/pcd0155/gay-parade-20.jpg

Dynasty 05-04-2004 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You think calling a person a retard is equivalent to saying someone butchered a hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Does every comment in this thread have to have equivalent weight as the original post?

Sooga 05-04-2004 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if butchers are insulted when they here somebody say something like "I really butchered that hand".

I'm sure butchers, as a group, are decent people and perform their jobs competantly. So, why should they be burdened with their profession being synonymous with incompetance?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's a good comparison.. I don't think anyone's putting down butchers when they say 'I butchered a hand'. When people think of butchers they think of guys just hacking away at big ass pieces of meat with a big knife, without much care for precision or anything. So when someone 'butchers' something, I think they mean that they didn't do things as carefully and precisely as they could have. I don't think it's a slight to the upstanding butchering community. Anyone who thinks otherwise must be retarded.

Sincere 05-04-2004 03:34 PM

Daryn, I think this may be one of the rare times I agree with you.

Personally, I get offended when other people are offended so easily. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Sloats 05-04-2004 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's a good comparison.. I don't think anyone's putting down butchers when they say 'I butchered a hand'. When people think of butchers they think of guys just hacking away at big ass pieces of meat with a big knife, without much care for precision or anything. So when someone 'butchers' something, I think they mean that they didn't do things as carefully and precisely as they could have. I don't think it's a slight to the upstanding butchering community. Anyone who thinks otherwise must be retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are stating that there is no skill involved in being a butcher and that any retard can be a butcher. That is offensive.

B-Man 05-04-2004 04:37 PM

Star Blazers ruled

Which did you like better, the first season or the second season?

moondogg 05-04-2004 05:10 PM

Here's why you got flamed, and why it was entirely predictable:

It's understandable that you wish people did not use the term. However, it is not understandable that you expect people to stop using it.

I understand that it offends you, you have every right to be offended. However, you have to understand that I, and most of the rest of the world, don't really give a sh*t what offends you or anyone else.

I don't think that anyone would argue (seriously, anyway) that calling people "retarded" is not really a good thing to do. It's not nice, and people probably shouldn't do it. But, in the grand scheme of things, it's pretty small.

Our society is littered with terms, expressions, and stereotypes which can be deemed offensive. One of the amazing about our society is that people will pick out a single item (such as sexual orientation, religion, race, and, in this case, mental capacity), and claim that the misuse of that one term is offensive and should stop immediately.

Note for anyone reading this who may be offended from time to time: If the remark is simply insensitive (such as calling someone a retard), and is not especially vicious or dehumanizing (e.g. holocaust jokes), learn to live with it. Nobody is saying that it is OK for people to talk like that. What I am saying is that you are pissing against a tidal wave trying to stop the small things. You will not change anyone's behavior. If anything, people may stop using the term only in front of you, but I can guarantee that they will resent your very presence. People do not like to be lectured. If you preach to people about things such as this, they will both scorn and mock you.

It's like going down to Mardi Gras in New Orleans and trying to convince people to find Jesus. You audience doesn't want to hear it. You won't stop it, so learn to live with it.

I have things to bitch about too. Everyone does. Learn some restraint, and don't waste your time bitching about things that will not change. It only pisses people off.

John Cole 05-04-2004 06:15 PM

"a lot of things offend a lot of people." Is that a quote from John Rawls?

ericd 05-04-2004 07:08 PM

Regardless of my personal feelings, referring to people as retards is wrong. As how the people here react:

1. Some will stop and for that I am grateful.
2. For the others, frankly I don't care how they feel about me since it will have zero impact on my life. They can continue living as insensitive bigots if they wish. Hopefully, when some of them become adults they will outgrow it.

Duke 05-04-2004 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about if I say so-and-so jewed me down on a price?

[/ QUOTE ]

The jew thing is basically a joke. I know plenty of Jews who are fiscally irresponsible. It's an unwarranted stereotype.

I don't know any retards who are "big thinkers."

~D

Homer 05-04-2004 07:24 PM

the thing is, if a guy is gonna get that upset about the usage of the word retard for the reasons you listed, then he should also be upset when people refer to others as idiots. after all isn't an idiot just a guy with some certain IQ or lower, just above a cretin? certainly if one is born an idiot (gabby) it's not his/her fault.

You make a good point. I try to only judge people on how they treat others since that is just about the only thing within one's control.

Duke 05-04-2004 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the others, frankly I don't care how they feel about me since it will have zero impact on my life. They can continue living as insensitive bigots if they wish. Hopefully, when some of them become adults they will outgrow it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently your own ignorance is now an excuse to spout insults. At first I thought you were overly sensitive, now I see that you're just a jerk.

~D

Al_Capone_Junior 05-04-2004 08:31 PM

What if your opponents might be easily outplayed by the competitors from special olympics? what then? ... I prefer the more politically (in) correct term ...

Moronic friggin' @#$%@#$%@#$ idiot Mc Breath. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

al

Al_Capone_Junior 05-04-2004 08:35 PM

The difference my friend...

is that "butchering" a cow, and making me a nice, fat, juicy porterhouse, two friggin' inches thick, with A-1 and a nice fat smother baked potato, with sour cream, bacon, and chives, is a beautiful thing...

But butchering pocket friggin' pocket @Q#%#@%$ aces is a terrible thing...

I am sure this doesn't help at all! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

al

Homer 05-04-2004 08:35 PM

Apparently your own ignorance is now an excuse to spout insults. At first I thought you were overly sensitive, now I see that you're just a jerk.

I find it humorous that out of all the people who commented in this thread, you decided that the OP was most worthy of being labeled a jerk.

James282 05-04-2004 09:03 PM

Come on, guys!

Interestingly enough, arguing on the internet about serious topics is like competing in the Special Olympics -

Even if you win, you're still retarded.

Lighten up people, the way people use "retarded" takes on a new meaning when they are talking about a player at a poker table. Christians call the day Jesus was crucified "Black Friday," and we call African-Americans black, so should it thus be inferred that Christians are racists because they use this word to describe something awful? Words can have multiple meanings, and if current vernacular American uses "retarded" to mean "disabled" and also to mean "stupid" then so be it, I really don't see what the big deal is.
-James

Dynasty 05-04-2004 09:12 PM

Re: Star Blazers ruled

[ QUOTE ]
Which did you like better, the first season or the second season?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's about time this thread got back to what's important- a discussion of Star Blazers.

I haven't seen the show in nearly twenty years. I really should by a DVD player simply so I can get the Star Blazers DVDs.

The first season is what Star Blazers was created to be. It's "pure" Star Blazers. But, the second season was incredibly strong for what is basically a sequal. I wavered back and forth as a kid about which I liked better. There is no correct answer.