Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Mirage Advice? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=73971)

Large Pizza 03-16-2004 01:33 PM

Mirage Advice?

Going to Vegas next month. Have been playing for about 6 months (party poker 1/2 2/4 and SNGs, a few multi table, some home tourneys, few trips to the river boat 4/8)

I'm staying at The Mirage and consider myself to be decent but not great (have read WLLH, HEPFAP, and TOP so far)

I'd like to play about 20 hours over my 3 days, should I play 6/12 instead of 3/6 to have a better attempt to beat the rake? Are their evening tourneys extremely difficult or worth playing? Should I try any other poker rooms? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]I consider my skills to be fairly even between NL and limit and tourney vs. ring. Bankroll isn't a huge factor.

Any advice is appreciated

Clarkmeister 03-16-2004 02:11 PM

Re: Mirage Advice?

Play the 10-20 if at all possible. The rake at the 3-6 is absurd and the 6-12 rake is extremely frontloaded (they take $2 out at $24 - horrible if the game isn't super juicy)

ElSapo 03-16-2004 03:02 PM

Clark (or anyone),

Can you give any loose comparisons, Party games v. Vegas games? Is the 10-20 at certain spots comprable to Party x/X or x/X?

Any generalities or specific ideas appreciated. I'm in the same situation, and looking to play higher than I do online when I'm there.

Thanks,

El Sapo

Gabe 03-16-2004 04:51 PM

The 10/20 is very soft.

You might like the nightly tournaments. I think they're a couple of hundred.

jayadd 03-16-2004 05:41 PM

can anyone come up with some formula between live and internet? I mean i get torched online 1-2 or 2-4 somedays and head to AC and clean up at the 10-20 or 20-40 at the taj. I am the believer that they really dont have much to do with each other. Your best bet is to find a table you feel comfortable at and play. Watch you opponents and survey the table(like you would do on line) and have fun.

Clarkmeister 03-16-2004 06:21 PM

I haven't played party, but the Mirage 10-20 is very similar to the Paradise 3-6 game.

DanS 03-16-2004 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't played party...

[/ QUOTE ]

Clark, dude, do you not like free money?

Dan

P.S. Will you be able to play at MB or MC drunkenly or at the Bellagio or Mirage sober when I'm in Vegas for Phish 4/13-4/17?

Sparks 03-17-2004 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The 10/20 is very soft.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. I've been in some pretty agressive games there.

Sparks

Clarkmeister 03-17-2004 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't played party...

[/ QUOTE ]

Clark, dude, do you not like free money?

Dan

P.S. Will you be able to play at MB or MC drunkenly or at the Bellagio or Mirage sober when I'm in Vegas for Phish 4/13-4/17?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd much prefer going to the show. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

SinCityGuy 03-17-2004 06:24 AM

ElSapo,

Generally, the Mirage 10/20 plays about like Party 5/10. However, some nights it's much softer, and on rare occasions the game can get fairly tough (usually early in the week).

Last night, there were three human ATM machines at the game who were literally giving away money. One of them was live-straddling every round, and either raising or re-raising almost every time pre-flop (then check folding the flop). He went through two racks in about two hours. The other guys weren't quite as bad, but they were pretty horrible. I booked a huge win in the four hours I played, which was good because I had a big loss the night before on some brutal second best rivered hands.

Clarkmeister 03-17-2004 12:18 PM

Who are you?

RydenStoompala 03-17-2004 01:40 PM

You'll love the 10-20 games at Mirage. If you hit a tough one, just witch. Watch the drink girls and see where they visit most often. That's the table you want. It may be up or down from your limit, but the drunks make for awesome action late in the week. The Mon-Wed games are tougher.

Clarkmeister 03-17-2004 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Watch the drink girls and see where they visit most often.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean none of the games? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

SinCityGuy 03-17-2004 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Clarkmeister,

I usually play the Mirage 10/20, Bellagio 15/30 and Party (either four low limits or one 15/30). I see the posts from fellow Las Vegas 2+2'ers, but I don't know who anyone is. It would be nice to meet you guys in person.

SpaceAce 03-19-2004 07:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Clarkmeister,

I usually play the Mirage 10/20, Bellagio 15/30 and Party (either four low limits or one 15/30). I see the posts from fellow Las Vegas 2+2'ers, but I don't know who anyone is. It would be nice to meet you guys in person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know about the Wednesday Poker Discussion Group? Ask Howard or Dr. Al about it. I've attended the last several meetings.

SpaceAce

H/O 03-19-2004 11:16 AM

Is the 6-12 or 10-20 more profitable at he Mirage.
How about the 4-8 vs 8-16 at the Bellagio?

Clarkmeister 03-19-2004 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose it depends on how good you are, eh?

CrackerZack 03-19-2004 01:34 PM

Can you beat both games? I can't even fathom a way to answer this question. I'm guessing the 80/160 is the most profitable game in terms of sheer money. Might be a bit on the tough side though.

SinCityGuy 03-19-2004 09:42 PM

Thanks for the info.

RydenStoompala 03-20-2004 02:37 PM

Fair comment. Sometimes it's aweful.

sucka 03-20-2004 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am always amused when people ask this question, like there is even an answer for it. I've played in the same game at the same table at the Mirage ($6/12) that turned from extremely loose/passive games to tight/aggressive in one orbit and then back again a few orbits later...

The answer of course, is that it's impossible to give a general answer for how 'good' a game is. If you want to size up a game - watch it for a couple orbits and you'll get a pretty good idea as to how it's going to play - at least while that lineup is there.

I was playing a 10/20 game in Lake Charles this weekend that was about as tight as I've seen anywhere. One dude shows up and starts spewing chips and all of a sudden everyone's in the pot trying to catch a hand against him or raising everyone else out to isolate. Funny side note - the 'spewer' guy is at the table maybe 45 minutes and catches 2 runner-runner flushes against the same dude (busts him out) and another runner-runner straight against another dude - racks up and rolls away (he was in a wheelchair).

I would say, in general, that the dayshift games are going to be tighter/more aggressive than when the sun goes down and the loosey's show up.

How 'beatable' are the games? I think Clark answered that pretty well...

sachinag 03-22-2004 05:09 PM

I played at the Mirage this weekend; the 10-20 game was good Saturday afternoon - meaning good players and good play - and insane Sunday afternoon. Very loose - generally one raise before the flop and a couple on the flop, called all the way down; raised hands included 46o. I had to get a table change, the second table resembled the first within 10 mintues of me sitting down (winning my first two hands there may have had an effect on that). I didn't get dealt much Sunday, either, so I got pissy and pissed away 250 steam betting three or four times Sunday. To those who were in the 10/20 games on either day, I apologize for complaining so much.

BTW, who's PokerBabe? I read she plays at the Mirage; I think I know who it is (and if I'm right - wow! what a babe), but I'm not going to guess a name here.

ElSapo 03-22-2004 05:40 PM

Perhaps I misunderstand what you mean, but it sounds like you and I have opposite definitions of what a "good" game is. I'll take the loose one over the good players and good play any day.

ElSapo

Clarkmeister 03-22-2004 06:17 PM

"Very loose - generally one raise before the flop and a couple on the flop, called all the way down; raised hands included 46o. I had to get a table change,"

Ummm, why on earth would you table change?

sachinag 03-22-2004 08:07 PM

It's a problem with my game; I can play in loose games, but I don't have the discipline to play in ridiculous games. Especially when I'm not pulling cards for four hours. I needed a change of scenery to protect me from myself. It always hurts to lose a rack even when you're playing "well."

Dynasty 03-23-2004 03:49 AM

I was playing in the Mirage 10-20 game on Sunday afternoon.

There was one player on my table who was losing and switched tables. There was one hand in paticular that I remember. This player limped in early position, one other player limped, the Small Blind raised, the Big Blind called. Then the EP limp-reraised (I believe with AA) and everybody called.

The flop was Q,T,8 and there was good action on the flop and turn because the Big Blind flopped a straight with J9o.

Were you the guy with the presumed AA that limp-reraised?