Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   This hand touches people in bad places and is wrong (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=405881)

B Dids 12-27-2005 01:20 PM

This hand touches people in bad places and is wrong

Party 5/10 6 max.

I'm in the SB with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

loose passive limps UTG.

unnoteworthy but not good guy limps on the button.

I complete.

Solid seeming but mostly unknown BB checks.

Flop

8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet, BB calls, Button calls

Turn

6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet, BB calls, button folds.

River 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

What's my action?

12-27-2005 01:25 PM

Re: This hand touches people in bad places and is wrong

I'd b/f. I think he calls down a J. If you check and call, I think you end up calling down a lot of losers.

peterchi 12-27-2005 01:31 PM

I think I'd have to check-call.

If we bet, our only hope is that he has a Jack. And I can't fold this so we'd lose 2 bets if he's got hearts or an 8.

And we chop with any K (except the unlikely KA-KJ)...

So I guess there's more combinations of us being behind than ahead. But we're not folding.

So yeah.

12-27-2005 01:35 PM

What do you see a passive player raising our river bet with? Or do you see him better a worse hand after we check the river?

12-27-2005 01:40 PM

A bet/fold for me. If he raises the river, we can safely fold this hand.

12-27-2005 01:44 PM

I am check-calling this river. Its possible he flopped a straight draw and called down, but he would fold that to a bet. You are splitting if he has a king. If he called down with bottom pair on the flop, you're screwed of course. So the only time you collect is when he is holding a jack. Now that I said all that, I bet-fold. I think check-folding is weak..And he is not going to bet that jack often on that board.

pokergrader 12-27-2005 01:45 PM

I think it is a check/call, but I expect to win this more than I lose it. I just dont see much value in betting the river.

However, against most 5/10 players this is a standard bet/fold, but you said BB seemed solid...

peterchi 12-27-2005 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you see a passive player raising our river bet with? Or do you see him better a worse hand after we check the river?

[/ QUOTE ]
We don't know that he's passive. Dids said BB is solid but mostly unknown.

If he's passive then I definitely like your line and reasoning.

And maybe I'm too rash with my observations but I think there's enough bluffing in this game that by default we can assume it's a possibility against an unknown. And this scary river card would be a fairly likely time for that. So I can't fold.

12-27-2005 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We don't know that he's passive. Dids said BB is solid but mostly unknown.

[/ QUOTE ] I should learn to match the reads & players up correctly.

[ QUOTE ]

And maybe I'm too rash with my observations but I think there's enough bluffing in this game that by default we can assume it's a possibility against an unknown. And this scary river card would be a fairly likely time for that. So I can't fold.

[/ QUOTE ] If that's the case, then may swing to a check/call. However, I'm not sure what hands he was calling down with to make a bluff.

peterchi 12-27-2005 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If that's the case, then may swing to a check/call. However, I'm not sure what hands he was calling down with to make a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]
Could be QT or 9T, or A-high.

But I've almost been swayed to bet-fold, too [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I dunno.

oxymoron 12-27-2005 02:16 PM

I prefer bet/fold. This scary river is equally scary to the BB and I can let this go if it is raised. I'm not sure why some of you are calling here when you are raised [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

12-27-2005 02:21 PM

Wait, so basically everyone is saying that this is standard play(Nevermind the river)? Could someone please put me into the thinking?

oxymoron 12-27-2005 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait, so basically everyone is saying that this is standard play(Nevermind the river)? Could someone please put me into the thinking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of what? Which street? What exactly is your question?

TomBrooks 12-27-2005 02:29 PM

Check and call one but fold to two. If you bet, neither player will call you with anything you beat anyway.

12-27-2005 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohhh, sorry for being so unspecific. But basically im kinda lost in these situations. On the flop is it standard to bet here? And on the turn do we really think two worse or drawing hands just called us on the flop? Or are we just counting on the villains to be idiots?

SomethingClever 12-27-2005 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check and call one but fold to two.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'd definitely fold if BB is allowed to make a double bet for some reason.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

12-27-2005 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohhh, sorry for being so unspecific. But basically im kinda lost in these situations. On the flop is it standard to bet here? And on the turn do we really think two worse or drawing hands just called us on the flop? Or are we just counting on the villains to be idiots?

[/ QUOTE ]

On the flop, we assume top pair is good. But you need to charge the flush and straight draws as well as anyone with a lower pair. You can't give anyone a free card that is holding any number of hands so we bet. The turn card is a blank so we fire again. This usually results in the gutshot draws folding. The river is in question because if BB called down with bottom pair on flop, he just hit trips. If he called down with two hearts, he just hit his flush. It helps in that if he called down with Kx, where x is bigger than our kicker but lower than a jack, we will now split the pot.

12-27-2005 03:29 PM

Thats really appreciated. Thanks mate.

Alobar 12-27-2005 04:41 PM

meh, I prolly just check/call. bet/fold is ok I guess, but I hate pushing the fold button. If you had more of a "sucky fish" read, then I like a bet because youll get calls from really stupid things like 22 and A9.