Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Blowing a $600 profit in under 5 minutes- how bad did i play? $200NL (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=405748)

snowbank 12-27-2005 04:06 AM

Blowing a $600 profit in under 5 minutes- how bad did i play? $200NL

hand # 1:

I'm dealt 10-10 in the BB. 2 callers, I make it $10, and get one caller. (I have about $400, villan is short stack with just over $50) Flop comes 5-6-9, all spades, and I push.

hand #2:

I get AA in the CO and make it $11 after utg and utg+1 call. utg+1 calls, everyone else folds.(villan has just over $100, I have just under $500) Flop is Q-9-4 rainbow. I bet $25 and get called. Turn is a K, and I push him for his remaining $68.

hand # 3:

I get 10-Js utg+1, and I make it $7. CO calls, and everyone else folds. (I have about $220, he has about $250) Flop is T-8-Q, 2 spades. So I have a straight draw, flush draw, and pair of 10's. I bet $16, he calls. Turn is a 9, so I hit my straight. I bet $40, he min raises to $80, I push with my straight+ flush draw, about another $75 on top. He calls.

These 3 hands happened within probly 3-4 minutes of eachother, so I could have been tilting a little by the last one.

What's your thoughts on all 3 hands?

Fallen Hero 12-27-2005 04:12 AM

Re: Blowing a $600 profit in under 5 minutes- how bad did i play? $200

[ QUOTE ]
hand # 1:

I'm dealt 10-10 in the BB. 2 callers, I make it $10, and get one caller. (I have about $400, villan is short stack with just over $50) Flop comes 5-6-9, all spades, and I push.

hand #2:

I get AA in the CO and make it $11 after utg and utg+1 call. utg+1 calls, everyone else folds.(villan has just over $100, I have just under $500) Flop is Q-9-4 rainbow. I bet $25 and get called. Turn is a K, and I push him for his remaining $68.

hand # 3:

I get 10-Js utg+1, and I make it $7. CO calls, and everyone else folds. (I have about $220, he has about $250) Flop is T-8-Q, 2 spades. So I have a straight draw, flush draw, and pair of 10's. I bet $16, he calls. Turn is a 9, so I hit my straight. I bet $40, he min raises to $80, I push with my straight+ flush draw, about another $75 on top. He calls.

These 3 hands happened within probly 3-4 minutes of eachother, so I could have been tilting a little by the last one.

What's your thoughts on all 3 hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

i like 1 and 3, don't like the push on hand 2. What can he have? AQ is unlikely, KQ is very likely and has you beat, JT is also possible and has you drawing dead. Everything you beat likely folds, I just check behind on the turn and call a river bet (bet if checked to).

wall_st 12-27-2005 07:25 AM

Hand #1, you have to bet this board with this hand so any raise you make here will commit you to ther pot

Hand #2, Which UTG+1 is calling here, if it is UTG+1 I am highly inclined to check behind here on the turn as J10s/J10o would likely call pre flop getting better than 2:1.

Hand #3, Everythnig about this hand is great if he has KJ good for him.

12-27-2005 08:22 AM

Re: Blowing a $600 profit in under 5 minutes- how bad did i play? $200NL

All of them were fine except you raise too small preflop with 10-10.

TheWorstPlayer 12-27-2005 12:48 PM

Hand 1. Do you have Ts? I often c/r a-i on this flop. Push is fine, though.

Hand 2. I think turn is c/f probably. KQ beats you, JT beats you, he might have had you on the flop, too. If you're still ahead, he'll probably check it back.

Hand 3. Fold preflop. Postflop, I prefer c/c on the turn. There are no card that can hurt you and it disguises your hand. Then I probably bet/call or push the river and get stacked anyways.

jsnipes28 12-27-2005 01:14 PM

personally, i like to check to shortstacks because they are idiots and love to just go all in, possibly thinking that it has some fold equity. If you push after you raise preflop they will still call with some garbage that you beat but checking to them allows them to put it in with their entire range.

scrapperdog 12-27-2005 02:01 PM

Everyone here likes hand #1? Open pushing a pair of 10's into a 3 flush board? I dont like it.

Fallen Hero 12-27-2005 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone here likes hand #1? Open pushing a pair of 10's into a 3 flush board? I dont like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

check villain's stack

12-27-2005 04:54 PM

3 seems fine.

1 and 2 are overly aggro. for no reason. 2 is close but for sure 1 is silly. You're treating the short stack here like you would in a tourney. This is a cash game though so it doesn't work.

Fallen Hero 12-27-2005 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3 seems fine.

1 and 2 are overly aggro. for no reason. 2 is close but for sure 1 is silly. You're treating the short stack here like you would in a tourney. This is a cash game though so it doesn't work.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you pot the flop (wich you should) you are getting a gazillion-1 odds on the call after villain pushes, just push.

scrapperdog 12-27-2005 06:09 PM

I like check call way better in #1 shortstack or no. If you check villian might make a move with anything. If you bet 50 bucks villian probably only calls with something like overcards with a spade, which would make him the favorite, or a hand that already has hero beat.

Fallen Hero 12-27-2005 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like check call way better in #1 shortstack or no. If you check villian might make a move with anything. If you bet 50 bucks villian probably only calls with something like overcards with a spade, which would make him the favorite, or a hand that already has hero beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate checking a flop oop after being the pf raiser because I'll never do it unless I'm check raising. Either way checking this flop is not an option, free cards can be horrible.

12-27-2005 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3 seems fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you pot the flop (wich you should) you are getting a gazillion-1 odds on the call after villain pushes, just push.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you need to bet pot here. The reason you raise so much PF is because of the limpers.

Now that it's HU, I think you can fire out $10-$15 and it doesn't look weak. Then he'll fold or call with his overcards and when a blank falls on the turn you push. If he pushes on the flop, call. I just don't see why you need to bet $50 for $20. Again, this isn't a tourney.

This pot is getting built to 35BB's HU before the opponent has acted on the turn for no discernable reason? Stop being so afraid of overcards hitting on the turn/river.

And if he has JJ, QQ, KK, AA, you are drawing slim. Throwing $50 at $20 in a cash game just seems silly. Check/pushing makes more sense than open-pushing.

Fallen Hero 12-27-2005 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3 seems fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you need to bet pot here. The reason you raise so much PF is because of the limpers.

Now that it's HU, I think you can fire out $10-$15 and it doesn't look weak. Then he'll fold or call with his overcards and when a blank falls on the turn you push. If he pushes on the flop, call. I just don't see why you need to bet $50 for $20. Again, this isn't a tourney.

This pot is getting built to 35BB's HU before the opponent has acted on the turn for no discernable reason? Stop being so afraid of overcards hitting on the turn/river.

And if he has JJ, QQ, KK, AA, you are drawing slim. Throwing $50 at $20 in a cash game just seems silly. Check/pushing makes more sense than open-pushing.

[/ QUOTE ]

did u notice that all the flop cards have something in commom?

If you bet $10 to a $25 pot on a monotone flop you might as well have checked, wich you can't do (really, you can't)

Take your mind out of "$50 into $20", anything decent you bet has you commited and you have to bet

scrapperdog 12-27-2005 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I hate checking a flop oop after being the pf raiser because I'll never do it unless I'm check raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is more than one way to skin a cat. I dont never do anything, and I am way more likley to check a pot out of position than in position.

Fallen Hero 12-27-2005 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont never do anything

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, never is a harsh word, but really...I'm not check folding on this flop, hu, against a short stack so when I check he has to know what's coming. And I'll say it again: there's no way you can check this flop and risk it being checked through.

12-28-2005 02:26 AM

#1, you pushed into a potential flopped straight. no no no no no, never do this, ever. unless its you with the straight.
#2. see #1 above. Ya did it again.
#3 Here you have the second best straight. K,J is the winning straight. The flush draw is a nice little extra for your hand though. The raise tells me he has you at least tied. I like the push to try to get him to fold. Did you hit the flush?
In general: this does look like tilt. We've all been there. along with it goes this feeling of "entitlement" that gets us to thinking that "this hand is mine" , even if we don't have the best hand. This attitude will break you very quickly.
the other thing here is, you are up huge just before all this happens. I have an index card that reminds me often that " It's much harder to hang on to poker winnings than to make them." I've often lost a big stack right back to the table and left with less than i started with. Now, i often leave a table if i'm way up. This starts me out on a new table with a small stack again. This is good. It keeps me cautious. It keeps me "humble"... i'm still not "the king of poker".....that kind of thing. We must learn to keep that ego in check.
Hope this helps.

tree_stump 12-28-2005 03:06 AM

1. I don't particularly like the push. If you lead out for $15 (2/3 of the pot) and he calls, you are committing him, so your money's in unless it's a nasty turn. However, you define your hand and you do have some fold equity. If he raises all-in, I'd have trouble calling it. If he flat calls, you're pushing the turn, like I said above.

2. I don't like a *push* here... However, it's not, really. You're betting $68 into a $83 pot on the turn, you're not pushing per se. Fine with me.

3. I dislike the open raise with JTs oop. Post-flop, I don't mind it so much, though I don't see myself pushing a draw without TP after a show of strength from the villain. All in all, I think that if you're going to play JTs from EP, play it cheaply and with a number of contestants, so your implied odds are through the roof.

yvesaint 12-28-2005 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
#1, you pushed into a potential flopped straight. no no no no no, never do this, ever. unless its you with the straight.
#2. see #1 above. Ya did it again.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh, what, lol

Fallen Hero 12-28-2005 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dislike the open raise with JTs oop. Post-flop, I don't mind it so much, though I don't see myself pushing a draw without TP after a show of strength from the villain. All in all, I think that if you're going to play JTs from EP, play it cheaply and with a number of contestants, so your implied odds are through the roof.

[/ QUOTE ]

this isn't limit

tree_stump 12-28-2005 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

this isn't limit

[/ QUOTE ]

Right you are... But you really think JTs is a strong enough hand to raise from EP at low limits? What do you do when you get 2 or 3 callers and AJx flops and you're oop?

Fallen Hero 12-28-2005 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

this isn't limit

[/ QUOTE ]

Right you are... But you really think JTs is a strong enough hand to raise from EP at low limits? What do you do when you get 2 or 3 callers and AJx flops and you're oop?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's really easy to play JT against two players on AJx flop and you know it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

PS: I don't advocate raising JTs utg everytime, but I do it a lot