Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   What to do... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=398560)

12-14-2005 08:25 PM

What to do...

I’ve been having trouble getting any reads on these guys so I can’t really say I have anything specific. Everyone seems to just be playing the regular “bet on a strong card” shorthanded HE.

** Firestarter [Hold 'em] (1.00|2.00 Fixed Limit - Cash Game) Real Money

- Button sitting in seat 1 with $20.00 [Dealer]
<font color="red">- Hero(SB) sitting in seat 2 with $32.75 </font>
- BB sitting in seat 3 with $22.00
- UTG sitting in seat 4 with $46.37
- MP sitting in seat 5 with $34.00
- CO sitting in seat 6 with $26.50

<font color="red"> Hero posted the small blind - $0.50</font>
BB posted the big blind - $1.00

** Dealing card to ItalianFX: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folded
MP folded
CO raised - $2.00
Button called - $2.00
<font color="red">Hero raised - $3.00 </font>
BB folded
CO called - $3.00
Button called - $3.00

** Dealing the flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="red"> Hero bet - $1.00</font>
CO folded
Button called - $1.00
As the button kept calling down, I was thinking he had Kx and was just calling to the showdown incase I had QQ

** Dealing the turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Hero bet - $2.00</font>
Button called - $2.00
Called down again...does he have the King?

** Dealing the river: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Hero checked</font>
Button checked
--Should I have bet here?
--Also, does anybody see anything else wrong with the rest of the play?

SomethingClever 12-14-2005 08:26 PM

Re: What to do...

I think you have a value bet on the river. Other than that, well-played. Good hand.

zephed 12-14-2005 08:33 PM

Bet the river.

imported_leader 12-14-2005 08:35 PM

bet the river. He hardly ever has you bet here and he'll call you with worst hands.

ArturiusX 12-14-2005 09:00 PM

Hmm, someone called you down on a KKQ flop and you assume he has Kx? Are you fricken nuts?

12-14-2005 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, someone called you down on a KKQ flop and you assume he has Kx? Are you fricken nuts?

[/ QUOTE ]

It happens to me a TON where someone calls me down on a Axx flop and they end up having an Ace-crap, happens to me a lot too with any overcard.

milesdyson 12-14-2005 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It happens to me a TON where someone calls me down on a Axx flop and they end up having an Ace-crap, happens to me a lot too with any overcard.

[/ QUOTE ]
difference being Kx on a KKQ flop has three of a kind and Ax on a Ayz flop has a pair. a tad significant, i must say

imported_leader 12-14-2005 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Selective memory and limited sample size.

ArturiusX 12-14-2005 09:40 PM

Re-evaluate your poker, you're probably a losing player. I'm not saying this to be a troll or anything, but you describe a lot of weak tight players whom I have in my database as long term losers.

POKhER 12-15-2005 06:13 AM

ItalianFX - value bet the river.

I actually watched you play a few hands recently, I had a few suggestions.

1. You limped KJo on the button, RAISE IT, No excuses.

2. You revealed your hand to everyone after your opponents folding. I got the above information from it. DO NOT SHOW EVERYONE YOUR HAND. THEY MUST PAY FOR THIS INFO(and many will, Soon as you supply it for free... like a shop... you'll lose profit). SELL IT.

MicroBob 12-15-2005 06:26 AM

"As the button kept calling down, I was thinking he had Kx and was just calling to the showdown incase I had QQ"

There is zero reason for you to be thinking this anymore.
He has called you twice now. If he had a K don't you think he would have raised by now?

I would put him on QJ perhaps.

ItalianFX - you clearly have some weak-tight post-flop play at times and badly suffer from monsters under the bed syndrome where you are always afraid that your opponents have big hands.

Have you read Small Stakes Hold-em by Ed Miller? Just curious

12-15-2005 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Have you read Small Stakes Hold-em by Ed Miller? Just curious

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I have read it. I am currently reading it for the 2nd time. Why?

12-15-2005 01:38 PM

Yep, I'd bet here on every round until the villain shows any kind of strength.

Now to the defense of ItalianFX somewhat - I've been playing 1/2 all day every day for the last couple of weeks and you do occasionally come across really passive players who will call down with a K here. They too are scared of even bigger monsters!

zephed 12-16-2005 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"As the button kept calling down, I was thinking he had Kx and was just calling to the showdown incase I had QQ"

There is zero reason for you to be thinking this anymore.
He has called you twice now. If he had a K don't you think he would have raised by now?

I would put him on QJ perhaps.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't put button on a single hand by the river. I think we should be pointing out that villain could have a large range of hands here, many of which call and lose. Also, it is unlikely that villain's monster hands would be played like this, so we can discount the chance that he holds them.

We're ahead of the following hands that may call the river:
Qx, JJ-77, 44-22, some flush draw hands that caught a 5 or six may call as well as ace-high sometimes.
QJ-Q8, JJ-77, 44-22 comprise 32+30+18=80 hands total. I'd just fudge it and add maybe 2 or 3 hands from the other batch that call the river.

Hands that beat us and probably raise:
AA, KK, QQ, AK, KQ, 66, 55, KJ-K8 comprise 3+1+1+6+4+3+3+32=53 hands.
Also, consider that by the time we get to the river, most of these hands we lose to would have already popped us.

So about 80 times we earn 1 BB. 80 x 1BB = +80BB
53 times we lose two given we call the river. 53 x -2BB = -106BB
If he slowplays like this less than 75% of the time, a river bet is profitable. I'd be surprised if anyone came close to that number.

Also, even if a river bet is not profitable, our best play is to bet so we can get calls out of weaker hands. We are out of position with a hand that should not check-fold on the river and our opponent's better hands are NOT checking it through. If we check call, most of those weak hands are going to check it through, and when we have to call a bet it is usually when beaten.