Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   5-10 NL Live QQ Preflop decision (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=398369)

joshgill17 12-14-2005 02:36 PM

5-10 NL Live QQ Preflop decision

Game is very loose with 2 other solid players. Saw a guy call $350 preflop with 33 with no hesitation. Currently I have $1100 in front.

Cards are dealt, guy in middle position raise to $35 folds to the button who goes all in for $145 (very upset at the time), SB then pushes for about $490, the action is on me and I look down at QQ. Initial raiser is behind me and he has me covered. Call? Push? Fold? and explain your brilliant logic please.

Thanks!

AcesUp2121 12-14-2005 02:51 PM

Re: 5-10 NL Live QQ Preflop decision

Is puke an option? Is SB or button one of the other solid players? How bout MP? This is push or fold IMO and it depends largely on what you think of these guys.

joshgill17 12-14-2005 03:12 PM

As far as player reads the button is terrible, SB is bad but not a total donk, MP is very solid but has liberal PF raising standards. Puke is an option...

FreakDaddy 12-14-2005 03:30 PM

I don't care how loose the table is FOLD.

I hope this is only a joke.

FreakDaddy 12-14-2005 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as player reads the button is terrible, SB is bad but not a total donk, MP is very solid but has liberal PF raising standards. Puke is an option...

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, this is not even close imo.

RikaKazak 12-14-2005 03:48 PM

I fold, but I do think it's close, reason I fold is initial raiser behind me; also SB might have KK. I don't see SB playing AA this way cause I think he would call, wanting a 3rd person in. Then again he might be a donk (or disagree that calling is correct, I can see an arguement for both) and just look down at AA and push. I could see button having something like 99, SB have AK and early folding or button have 99 SB have JJ and you folding best hand. But I still think with how much you're risking folding is correct. If you folded the best hand, oh well.

AcesUp2121 12-14-2005 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, this is not even close imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Puke it is?

AdamBragar 12-14-2005 04:00 PM

I've definitely played in 5-10 where this is an insta all in.

Don't get me wrong, there are tables and situations where I will fold QQ preflop. Online, I will clearly fold QQ preflop in a situation like this. But there are definitely times I will push here, this seems to be one of them.

joshgill17 12-14-2005 04:30 PM

the range of hands for the button could be any mid-high pair or Ace face. That is obvious to everyone at the table. when the small blind pushed I knew he wanted to get heads up with the button. I had a solid read that the initial raiser was folding. I agree that i'm folding this against better competition 90% of the time.

results to come

pokerjoker 12-14-2005 04:41 PM

I push. SB and dealer are short stacks. It looks like it could very well be an isolation play. Unless you have a reason to beleive that MP will call ur push with AA/KK I put it in. I just don't really respect short stacks.

FreakDaddy 12-14-2005 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Don't get me wrong, there are tables and situations where I will fold QQ preflop. Online, I will clearly fold QQ preflop in a situation like this. But there are definitely times I will push here, this seems to be one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're at a table full of donks? Insta-muck.

BobboFitos 12-14-2005 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

clear all in

joshgill17 12-14-2005 05:16 PM

As it turned out i folded and so did the initial raiser. However i do think it is a close Push/Fold decision. I thought i was ahead 60% of the time based on my reads. However this was one of my first sessions playing up at 5-10NL and I decided i wasn't going to risk most of what i was up (60BB) on this one hand. With a more sufficient bankroll to play 5-10NL I would have made the call.

Button won the pot with JJ against SB's unimproved AKs. Initial raiser said he mucked 10's.

FreakDaddy 12-14-2005 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

clear all in

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you being serious? If so please explain.

Percula 12-14-2005 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

clear all in

[/ QUOTE ]

Double ditto... not even close.

swarm 12-14-2005 05:53 PM

It's only 50 big blinds, this is a tremendously loose table, you have a shortstack trying to isolate another shortstack, this could be a very wide range considering that the bigger shorstack is pushing from the SB. You say you have a great read that the original bettor is folding.

I'm very surprised with your table description you folded actually.

joshgill17 12-16-2005 03:18 PM

Thanks for the replies. Given my circumstances and the fact that I was at the end of my session does anyone else fold and call it a night being up 60BB. Can someone run these hands through pokerstove to see the preflop %'s to win? Based on my reads I thought i was ahead of both about 60-65% of the time. If i'm only ~ 40% to win this at showdown vs. JJ and AK does this make my lay down more sane?

Thoughts?

Percula 12-16-2005 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the replies. Given my circumstances and the fact that I was at the end of my session does anyone else fold and call it a night being up 60BB.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. If you are playing for a living, this line of thought has merit, i.e. that 60BB profit is the difference betweening making the monthly bills or not.

But for a recreational player or part time player, this is a bad line of thought to get into. You should be focusing on making the best posible play on each and every hand. Not banking a winning session. Thinking of leaving should only enter your mind when either you just simply want to leave or the game has in some way changed making it -EV to stay in it. OK, I will add one more and that is when you have been running really bad for several sessions, banking a winning session may do wonders for your moral and improve your overall game.

I think as you get more live experience this type of situation will not be so tough for you. There is no subsitute for having played a lot of hands live. People just flat out play differently than your typical Internet player.

PokerFink 12-17-2005 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had a solid read that the initial raiser was folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this makes it a push.

flawless_victory 12-17-2005 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

clear all in

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you being serious? If so please explain.

[/ QUOTE ]
hahaha... doesnt it suck when you spout off about how obvious the correct play is only to found out u are wromg?

this is such an easy allin... yaaaawn.
if youre going to fold here, just play in a smaller game.

Sephus 12-17-2005 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No. If you are playing for a living, this line of thought has merit, i.e. that 60BB profit is the difference betweening making the monthly bills or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

wha...?

flawless_victory 12-17-2005 04:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wha...?

[/ QUOTE ]
dont be confused by the authoratative tone, this makes no sense.

Percula 12-17-2005 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wha...?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It only "makes no sense" to those too young or too well off to understand what it is like to have a bills that have to be paid and only have what is in front of you to pay them.

Sephus 12-17-2005 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wha...?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It only "makes no sense" to those too young or too well off to understand what it is like to have a bills that have to be paid and only have what is in front of you to pay them.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you are playing for a living, having only what is left in front of you to pay the bills, sitting in a NL game with 60 bbs, you're clearly a moron and deserve to have your electricity turned off. hopefully in a moment of clarity you realize you shouldnt even be sitting in this game, go home and get out the credit card, deposit online and start playing 50NL where you actually have the option of going allin without the nuts on the river. either that or you start working on your resume and explaining to your friends and family how the reason you busted is you couldnt even figure out which games you should be sitting in, let alone how to beat them, and thats why you went bust.

Garland 12-17-2005 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really bad. I know the line of thinking, but seriously, if you are playing scared money or can't cover your monthly nut, get out of the game until you have a proper bankroll.

Garland

Percula 12-17-2005 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wha...?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you are playing for a living, having only what is left in front of you to pay the bills, sitting in a NL game with 60 bbs, you're clearly a moron and deserve to have your electricity turned off. hopefully in a moment of clarity you realize you shouldnt even be sitting in this game, go home and get out the credit card, deposit online and start playing 50NL where you actually have the option of going allin without the nuts on the river. either that or you start working on your resume and explaining to your friends and family how the reason you busted is you couldnt even figure out which games you should be sitting in, let alone how to beat them, and thats why you went bust.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is not sitting with 60BB, he was asking if it was reasonable to "just call it a night" with a 60BB or $600 profit. My answer was no and qualified it.

You are quoting this like it was myself asking these questions, playing this game. If you look back in the thread and stop and think for a minute and cool off, you will see that I said clearly that this hand was clearly a +EV situation and that he should have played the hand and scoped a big pot.

I only made the qulaification if he was playing for a living, noting that he is playing more or less scared money, that it might be better to just book the profit since it seemed to be a fairly sizeable profit based on the tone of the post. If you are playing for a living and need to book a profit to make the bills, sometimes it is better to not put yourself in high variance situations, like getting AI with QQ preflop. And again, I will say it, in this hand I think it is a clear situation of sitting/staying in the game and pushing with QQ is +EV.

But at the end of the day Sklansky bucks will not pay the mortgage.

Sephus 12-17-2005 04:06 PM

yeah, i shouldn't have said "sitting with 60bbs," i should have said "60bbs that you can't afford to lose."

[ QUOTE ]
"You are quoting this like it was myself asking these questions, playing this game."

[/ QUOTE ]

i meant "you" hypothetically.

in your original comment, you made it sound like "if you're playing for a living, this line of thought has merit, because that 60BB profit is/could reasonably be the difference between paying your bills or not."

this of course makes no sense because it is VERY unreasonable for a pro to be playing in a no limit game in which he MUST make 60BBs profit or he will fail to pay his bils.

[ QUOTE ]
But at the end of the day Sklansky bucks will not pay the mortgage.

[/ QUOTE ]

but at the end of the year, they will. that's what makes being a pro possible.