Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   I can't fold (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=398167)

aba20 12-14-2005 06:51 AM

I can\'t fold

I am a limit player picking up no limit and I suck at folding 1-pair hands. What is the best line for this hand?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

CO ($106)
Hero ($153.20)
SB ($64.30)
BB ($118.10)
UTG ($71.50)
MP ($95.80)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls $1, MP calls $1, CO calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls $5, MP calls $5, CO folds.

Flop: ($20.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $18</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $36</font>,

Hero????

PoBoy321 12-14-2005 06:59 AM

Re: I can\'t fold

Call, reevaluate the turn.

aba20 12-14-2005 07:06 AM

Ok Good that was what I did. Now the turn is the K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], villian leads for $30. I am assuming that I am going with this now correct? But what happens if the turn is the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] instead. What would your line be?

PoBoy321 12-14-2005 07:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok Good that was what I did. Now the turn is the K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], villian leads for $30. I am assuming that I am going with this now correct? But what happens if the turn is the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] instead. What would your line be?

[/ QUOTE ]

A typical player isn't check/raising a draw on this board. He has a made hand and your question is whether he has a set or a worse 2 pair. An EP limp/call can mean a lot of things and the check/min-raise can certainly mean a set. Given stack sizes, I would push. That's a pretty scary card for a set and think of it like a semi-bluff. He can fold if he's scared of the flush and if he's not, you have 4 outs.

Also, raise more pre-flop. I would make it about $8 with all those limpers.

aba20 12-14-2005 07:12 AM

Exactly that is my question. Do we assume one pair, two pair or a set based on $30 turn bet or is this to player dependant to determine. I had no read on the villian at the time of the hand.

PoBoy321 12-14-2005 07:14 AM

I just realized, he wouldn't give you credit for a flush if he's even close to thinking. The only flush you could have would be the royal flush.

I think that villain has AT here enough to push the turn before another [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] comes to kill your action.

aba20 12-14-2005 07:17 AM

And we are folding to a $30 turn bet if the turn is the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]?

PoBoy321 12-14-2005 07:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And we are folding to a $30 turn bet if the turn is the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am, but I generally give my opponents a lot of credit, probably more than they deserve. Too much time playing in the UBet rock garden.

Of course, if you held the K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], you wouldn't.

12-14-2005 11:13 AM

Here's my take:

If he was willing to play a flush that aggressively, make a note on him. It seems to me that is more likely he wants to discourage a draw.

Villains likely holdings seem to be, AQ, AJ, AT, TT, KK, QQ, JJ, or 77.

When the turn comes the K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I'm raising the turn. It's a scare card for him so it may give him pause but I don't think he's laying down a set here. Get your money in before a 4th heart hits the board.

Thoughts?

B1GF1SHY 12-14-2005 11:25 AM

How has the villian been playing? If he's semi-TAG he's most likely doing this with AT, TT or 77. I don't see him min-raising OOP, unless he has open ended flush draw. The turn sucks you in and I check/call him down.

pho75 12-14-2005 12:06 PM

I think it's important to realize that his little $18 minraise is actually a $95 threat. If you call it, the pot will be $92 and he will have only $53 left with two more streets to go. He's almost pot commited himself at this point.

I don't think you should call with the idea of reevaluating on the turn. You need to decide what you are going to do now. If the stacks were deeper I would certainly call. In this situation I would need some kind of read to call. The question being, is he a bad enough player to limp/call out of position with AT or A7.

12-14-2005 12:35 PM

This decision is completely player dependent. Against a crazy player, I won't mind calling the flop and calling his all in on the turn (because I think 80% of the time, UTG is pot-committed already). If this guy is pretty tight-aggressive, I'll give him credit for the set, because there really isn't another hand that he should have, except AK (and that's not likely since he limps UTG).

That being said, it's probably impossible to give a correct answer without a read.

Andrew Fletcher 12-14-2005 12:37 PM

Call and check behind on the turn. If he leads the turn for more than half the pot I fold.

Andrew Fletcher 12-14-2005 12:38 PM

Ok, this made me re-think my post.

unlucky513 12-14-2005 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call, reevaluate the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with this...

i dont understand people suggesting a push, thats probably the worst play, imo. a set is not folding and a flush is obviously calling. i c/c the turn and see what the river brings.

rachelwxm 12-14-2005 12:40 PM

I agree you need to make a decision on this flop and I would probably fold to this min raise without a strong read.

TheCat 12-14-2005 01:18 PM

This is a heavily situational dependant descision, you will frequently have your continuation bet challenged:

How often have you been raising preflop. Do you nearly always make a continuation bet. Is villian an aggresive player likly to make a bluff check raise. If all these are true I'd call or reraise. Otherwise you proabably up against a set, two pair.

hfrog355 12-14-2005 02:17 PM

I think you'd have to consider how often you've been raising preflop at the table. If you've been quite the aggressor, I could see someone making this move with an under pair like JJ or QQ (maybe he was getting sneaky not raising them preflop), trying to push you off something like KK or QQ with the scary ace out there. If this is actually the case, that's a ballsy move on his part...nh.

On second thought I don't think a set of 10's is totally out of the question. eeefffff...

Bottom line, you're probably going to have to let this one go as there's really no hand that you're legitimately beating that's re-raising this flop.