Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   30 inch Apple Monitor (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=397442)

ZBTHorton 12-13-2005 06:12 AM

30 inch Apple Monitor

So I was about to go buy 2 2001FP's. I'm gonna spend about a grand on them.

And the opportunity to get a 30 inch cinema Apple monitor for 1500$ comes up. Anyone have any experience with these on a PC? Are they as good as the other apple products?

Advice would be appreciated.

A_Junglen 12-13-2005 06:17 AM

Re: 30 inch Apple Monitor

Yummy overpriced goodness.

I've heard nothing but good things (besides the price)

ZBTHorton 12-13-2005 06:22 AM

Just edited my post. I could get one for 1500$.

CalvinTy 12-13-2005 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I was about to go buy 2 2001FP's. I'm gonna spend about a grand on them.

And the opportunity to get a 30 inch cinema Apple monitor for 1500$ comes up. Anyone have any experience with these on a PC? Are they as good as the other apple products?

Advice would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had old Dell 2000FP (at least 2 yrs old) that I just added the new Dell 2001FP just 2 weeks ago as my 2nd monitor. Love having both of them side-by-side even if the 2001FP model IS SO MUCH BETTER in many ways!

Basically, while I have no experience with 30" Apple Cinema Display or any Apple monitors (I also have heard rave reviews about the 17" ones a while back), it all boils down to what screen real estate you want based on screen resolution (preferably using the native LCD resolution) & your surfing habits if you do choose a 2-monitor setup.

I see that Apple's 30" native resolution is at 2560w x 1600h, while Dell's 20" native resolution is at 1600w x 1200h (putting 2 of them next to each other would mean an effective screen resolution of 3200w x 1200h).

For playing poker, other than Party's beta resizing windows, most sites still use a max of 800wx600h window for each table. So, I love my 20" display showing 4 tables without any overlap on each monitor so 8-tabling would very easy to navigate (not that I haven't reached to that point in actually playing 8-tabling yet, lol).

On Apple's 30" it would easily display 3 full tables wide, 2 full tables high (2400w x 1200h) with some screen real estate left. (this is based on no overlapping at all so that is at least 6 tables in full view).

Really, it all depends on how you want to use your screen real estate for in the grand scheme of things.

Alright, I gotta bail... hope my post was not lost on anyone...

Cheers,

* CalvinTy

jba 12-13-2005 05:07 PM

I have friends with this monitor and it is absolutely positively GORGEOUS. it was always hooked up to a mac though.

benza13 12-13-2005 05:10 PM

If you want to wait a couple weeks Dell is releasing a 30" monitor of their own to compete with this. Not sure about comparisons between them, but I bet with coupons that the Dell will be at least the same price as Apples, if not less.

12-13-2005 05:16 PM

The dell will be significantly less, guaranteed.

12-13-2005 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about this, its 37in, not 30in.

ZBTHorton 12-13-2005 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about this, its 37in, not 30in.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it's a 30 inch.

XChamp 12-13-2005 05:49 PM

I have had the 23" Apple cinema monitor for over a year. I bought it for $2,200 and now, even though the current price is $1,000+ less, I have 0 regrets. It is gorgeous and has worked perfectly on 2 of my windows machines with no extra software or hardware. It's great for poker, gaming and general multi-tasking. It is the size of a smallish TV. I frequently watch DVDs on it from about 8ft away on a couch. I would imagine the 30" would be even better for all the activities I listed above.

I would say that my only complaint is that it does not show any of the bootup messages on my computer, so if I run into a problem and need to go fiddling around in BIOS i need to hook up another a monitor. I don't know if this problem can be fixed. It doesn't really bother me so I never looked into it.

solucky 12-13-2005 05:57 PM

the Graphiccard is the problem, price in germany 2K !!!!!!

12-14-2005 04:49 AM

Can you get any more at this price? I would definitely jump on it. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

nbb 12-14-2005 10:19 PM

First, great price on the monitor. My wife just bought one for $2499. The good news is that it is awesome. The bad news is that you had better be ready to spend more $$$ for a dual link DVI video card for your PC. Also, don't expect any help from Apple in telling you what you need to make it work.

I'm tech support for my wife, so after much research and mis-starts, I wound up with an Nvidia FX Quadro 3000 which I bought for $369 on eBay. Expect to spend more if you buy it somewhere else. Once it's installed and the new drivers downloaded, the monitor is beautiful.

Cheers,
NBB

pfkaok 12-14-2005 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it will be less than $1500.

I've had one for 7-8 months and its really increadible. however, i still think its nice to have a 2nd monitor with it. i play 6 usually on my apple, with plenty of space left over, and then have a 2nd monitor completely open, which is nice.

only thing to consider though is the video card will probably be pricy, and you need a very good one to support the max resolution. when i got mine there were only a few out for PCs that worked really well with the mac, but maybe there's more out now. either way though, definately look into how much the video card will cost before you buy the monitor, b/c it might cost more than you'd think, and it sucks to have the huge monitor with only TV quality resolution.

pfkaok 12-14-2005 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you get any more at this price? I would definitely jump on it. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I would actually consider getting a 2nd one if I could get it for $1500.

or are you just getting it used?

kenberman 12-16-2005 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it will be less than $1500.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but the equivalent Apple is $2,500. if 60% cheaper isn't 'significant', I don't know what is.