Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Do the Colts rest their starters? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=396211)

lastchance 12-11-2005 04:15 PM

Do the Colts rest their starters?

Indianapolis should clinch home-field and the first-round bye today up 20 points against a Jacksonville team that can't do anything on offense.

With 3 games left, one against San Diego and one at Seattle, do the Colts rest up and go for the Super Bowl victory, or does Dungy gamble and go for the 19-0?

bottomset 12-11-2005 04:17 PM

Re: Do the Colts rest their starters?

they should continue to play full strength, its hard to backoff of best play, and then turn it back on later

there is the bye week for rest(and week17)

PhatTBoll 12-11-2005 04:26 PM

A few weeks ago he said there is no way he would play his starters with home field wrapped up. This week he said he wasn't sure.
I think he is going to go for it.

Clarkmeister 12-11-2005 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they try to go undefeated to 19-0

[/ QUOTE ]

Russ McGinley 12-11-2005 04:44 PM

They can pull the starters when the game is out of reach. Not starting for fear of injury is ghey.

MEbenhoe 12-11-2005 04:55 PM

Pulling their starters is just dumb, and I think does more to hurt their chances at the Super Bowl this year than not resting them would. Plus it would be a shame if a team this good didnt pull off an undefeated season, not because somebody actually beat them, but because they were resting their starters.

Jack of Arcades 12-11-2005 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pulling their starters is just dumb, and I think does more to hurt their chances at the Super Bowl this year than not resting them would.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this were the case, bye weeks would not be an advantage.

MEbenhoe 12-11-2005 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pulling their starters is just dumb, and I think does more to hurt their chances at the Super Bowl this year than not resting them would.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1 week off is very different than 4 weeks off.

rwperu34 12-11-2005 04:59 PM

Week 17 is a home game against Arizona. I doubt there is much advantage to resting any sooner than that.

lastchance 12-11-2005 05:28 PM

Personally, I think the injury factor is too great in football. On average, you know someone's going to get hurt if they play the next 3 weeks, and a full-strength football team can be a very large advantage going into the playoffs.

McGahee 12-11-2005 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Very.

tech 12-11-2005 10:10 PM

Gotta go for the undefeated season, especially since I need Edge for my FFL playoffs. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Jack of Arcades 12-11-2005 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is anyone actually advocating not having any of the starters see the field for a whole month?

MEbenhoe 12-11-2005 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is anyone actually advocating not having any of the starters see the field for a whole month?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes actually

12-11-2005 10:24 PM

Winning a Superbowl is more meaningful than an undefeated season. Any Colts fan would rather have the superbowl than go undefeated in the regular season and lose in the championship game or in the superbowl.

If Edgerrin James or Peyton Manning got hurt in a meaningless game against Arizona, Colts fans would be infuriated.

How about treating these games as if they were preseason games. Let the starters play the entire first quarter or even the entire first half, and then pull them out completely or have them play less. This accomplishes two things: (1) It reduces the risk of injury to a key player, and (2) it keeps the starters from getting rusty.

Oski 12-11-2005 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Winning a Superbowl is more meaningful than an undefeated season. Any Colts fan would rather have the superbowl than go undefeated in the regular season and lose in the championship game or in the superbowl.

[/ QUOTE ]

True: but only if the decision is put the the fan after the fact. I can't imagine any Colts fan out there who would advocate NOT going for the undefeated season. Its the nature of being a fan and the nature of the sport.

Any fan wants THEIR team to be "the one" for the ages.

tech 12-11-2005 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If Edgerrin James or Peyton Manning got hurt in a meaningless game against Arizona, Colts fans would be infuriated.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were a Colts fan, I would be infuriated if the only blemish on an otherwise undefeated season was a loss against Arizona.

MEbenhoe 12-11-2005 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This idea that not resting their starters would cost them the super bowl is so overrated.

WLVRYN 12-12-2005 12:15 AM

Quick - who won Super Bowl XXIV? Unless you can legitimately stump the Schwab or are a 49'ers fan, then you probably wouldnt remember that the 49'ers won that one in a laugher over Denver. But everyone remembers that the Dolphins were the last team to go undefeated.

You have history in your grasp, you have to try to grab it. Peyton/Edge/Marvin could just as easily get hurt the first play of their first playoff game after sitting out, and they could lose both the record and the SB.

MCS 12-12-2005 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This idea that not resting their starters would cost them the super bowl is so overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

The probability of serious injury is also very low. Honestly, no matter what they do, it probably won't matter much.

fluxrad 12-12-2005 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have history in your grasp, you have to try to grab it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer. No team has ever gone 16-0. A championship lasts one year. An undefeated season could last for 20.

The *smart* play is to rest the starters.

The right play is to go for it.

/Broncos fan.
/[censored] Colts.

TheNoodleMan 12-12-2005 12:46 AM

As a Colts season Ticket holder, I say go for the undefeated season. Resting guys doesn't garantee us a championship.
The Colts will have other chances to win Super Bowls, this is likely their only shot to go undefeated.

utmt40 12-12-2005 12:51 AM

They should go for it!

Richard Tanner 12-12-2005 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally false, as a poster above said, who won superbowl XXI, say it with me now "I have no idea", now who's the only undefeated regular season (and post, but it's reg that's up for debate), that right.
Also it doesn't do any good to give them a month off, that'll build rust like you wouldn't believe.

Cody

gumpzilla 12-12-2005 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Totally false, as a poster above said, who won superbowl XXI, say it with me now "I have no idea", now who's the only undefeated regular season (and post, but it's reg that's up for debate), that right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sort of agree with this, but that said, you just know that even if they go 16-0, if they lose in the playoffs people will talk about how they choked as much as they talk about them being perfect in the regular season. It's just the way it goes.

Richard Tanner 12-12-2005 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's just the way it goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't please everyone, give us a piece of history and let the chips fall where they may. Although I still feel that in the Colts' case, playing your starters and winning the SB aren't mutually exclusive.

Cody

Clarkmeister 12-12-2005 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I still feel that in the Colts' case, playing your starters and winning the SB aren't mutually exclusive.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. People are acting if somehow it magically improves their chances of winning the SB if they somehow manage to lose a game first. Bah.