Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Adam Morrison (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=395698)

private joker 12-10-2005 07:01 PM

Adam Morrison

So did anyone watch that Gonzaga-Oklahoma St. game? The announcers were saying "Adam Morrison is the best player in college basketball." And it's something I've heard before, as well. Can this be true? He did score 25 of their 64 pts. and hit the game winning Trey with 2 seconds left, off balance and guarded by 2 leaping defensemen and kissing it off the glass, but still...

This is the only game I've seen him play. Is Adam Morrison the best player in college basketball?

IggyWH 12-10-2005 07:03 PM

Re: Adam Morrison

He is good, and quite possibly the best in college hoops this year, but that shot was a total gutshot hit.

scott8 12-10-2005 07:15 PM

He is good. He hit a lucky shot which Iggy has now mentioned in three threads. He is still good.

IggyWH 12-10-2005 07:30 PM

I felt like I needed to repeat it. Too often, people watching sports just take what announcers say as "fact". They both blew their load off of that shot, so I need to bring people back to reality that is was a horrible shot that luckily fell.

scott8 12-10-2005 07:31 PM

I agree like hell with your general point.

The Vitale effect.

TheRover 12-10-2005 07:42 PM

This is the guy with the worst mustache ever, right?

MCS 12-10-2005 08:02 PM

I don't think he's as good as everyone else seems to. I think he's one of the top five, but not number one.

CD56 12-10-2005 08:03 PM

He might be the best now, but I'm not sure if he translates well to the pros, he reminds me of a Dirk/Gasol type, but I think it's rare that someone can make that style work, they usually end up being out of position for their whole careers.

He's also a diabetic, pretty cool that he can overcome it to get to where he is.

12-10-2005 08:06 PM

TV bobbleheads [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] goofy looking white guys.

Pudge714 12-10-2005 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think he's as good as everyone else seems to. I think he's one of the top five, but not number one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who do you think is better?

PokerFink 12-10-2005 08:28 PM

How can he be the best player in college basketball on the same day that Reddick drops 41 on the #2 team in the land?

DontRaisePlz 12-10-2005 08:34 PM

How could Redick be the best player when he isn't even the most important player on his own team?

MCS 12-10-2005 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who do you think is better?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shelden Williams and JJ ReDICK for sure. I hate dook.

I haven't seen Rudy Gay play very much this year. LaMarcus Aldridge might be better too, but there haven't been that many games. Daniel Gibson might be better as the season progresses.

Right now I guess I'd rank Morrison third. #1 among diabetics though. (On a serious note, I'm amazed that he plays so well while dealing with that.)

IggyWH 12-10-2005 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(On a serious note, I'm amazed that he plays so well while dealing with that.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone clue me in on what the big deal is? I have friends who are diabetics that take shots who have no "restrictions". They just piss a lot when drinking a lot of alcohol because of the sugar.

ononimo 12-10-2005 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TV bobbleheads [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] goofy looking white guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

they're on the never-ending search for the "next Christian Laettner"

Victor 12-10-2005 10:07 PM

the dicksucking from the announcers was the most idiotic thing ive heard in awhile.

dude threw up a prayer and got lucky. cmon.

12-10-2005 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the dicksucking from the announcers was the most idiotic thing ive heard in awhile.

dude threw up a prayer and got lucky. cmon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the announcers all say he's the best player in the nation because he hit a hail mary. It has to be that because it certainly couldn't have anything to do with him leading the nation averaging 29 ppg against one of the toughest schedules in the nation. It couldn't possibly be that, now could it?

MEbenhoe 12-10-2005 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Right now I guess I'd rank Morrison third. #1 among diabetics though. (On a serious note, I'm amazed that he plays so well while dealing with that.)

[/ QUOTE ]

My dad has had diabetes since he was like 3 years old, the type where you're basically born with it, not the one you get because you're unhealthy and overweight. This is obviously the type Morrison has too, and while it can be a pain, it doesn't restrict athletic ability at all.

MEbenhoe 12-10-2005 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can he be the best player in college basketball on the same day that Reddick drops 41 on the #2 team in the land?

[/ QUOTE ]

you beat me to it. It remains to be seen whether Redick will ever be an effective player at the NBA level, but as far as College Basketball goes, there isnt a better player out there this year.

MyTurn2Raise 12-10-2005 11:32 PM

Dee Brown

I'm biased

MEbenhoe 12-10-2005 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dee Brown

I'm biased

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll admit to being biased on Redick as well, my bias is just a little closer to the truth [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

12-10-2005 11:39 PM

I was at the game today. While Morrison didn't have his best night, (props to OSU for making things difficult on him), he did what he had to do, especially in the second half, to either get his shots or, perhaps more importantly, do whatever he could to get fouled and get to the line, which he did. It's clear he thrives on pressure situations, and wants the ball down the stretch (which tonite was basically every possession in the second half). Is he the best in the country? Who knows, it's probably too early to tell. However, at 6-8 or so, he can get his shot off at will (either in rythym or by creating off the dribble), he moves well without the ball, he can rebound and pass well and is generally fundamentally sound. He understands the game, he's good a teammate, and I find him very enjoyable to watch. His pro prospects are very bright. As for the game itself, Gonzaga was flat and sloppy, and missing their starting backcourt didn't help. Batista bailed them out on many occasions. However, it was OSU's inability to attack the Gonzaga zone in the second half which killed them. They could have run away and hid, but couldn't because of their poor zone offense execution. (By my count, after Gonzaga switched to zone, OSU managed only six points in approx 8 minutes.) Look for OSU to see more zones after today's performance. If I had to choose between, say, Redick or Morrison, there's no question - Morrison is way the superior player. Sure, Redick can light it up from the outside, but Morrison can too, plus he can beat you other ways, it's really no contest.

MEbenhoe 12-10-2005 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure, Redick can light it up from the outside, but Morrison can too, plus he can beat you other ways, it's really no contest.

[/ QUOTE ]

stop perpetuating the myth that Redick can't beat you other ways besides "lighting it up from the outside". Watch a few Duke games and you'll see how wrong that idea is.

Pudge714 12-10-2005 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How could Redick be the best player when he isn't even the most important player on his own team?

[/ QUOTE ]

scott8 12-10-2005 11:51 PM

I find it to be a sincere joke that people think Reddick is the best player in college basketball.

MEbenhoe 12-10-2005 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd argue the point that Redick and Williams are of equal importance, but that doesnt even matter. The more important thing is that BEST doesnt always mean most important. This argument has already been done in the threads about Reggie Bush. He is clearly the best player in college football, but he also is likely not the most important.

12-10-2005 11:55 PM

I'm a myth perpetuator I guess. Who is a better rebounder? Passer? Defender? Who is more versatile? Morrison can guard 2 guards and power forwards. Can Redick? Who will get drafted higher? I'm not saying Redick is a bad player, I like his game. I'm just saying that Morrison brings more to the table at this moment. I'm not saying Morrison is the best player in college basketball, either.

PhatTBoll 12-10-2005 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This argument has already been done in the threads about Reggie Bush. He is clearly the best player in college football, but he also is likely not the most important.

[/ QUOTE ]
Anybody who watched the ND or Fresno games knows this is not the case.

CD56 12-11-2005 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(On a serious note, I'm amazed that he plays so well while dealing with that.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone clue me in on what the big deal is? I have friends who are diabetics that take shots who have no "restrictions". They just piss a lot when drinking a lot of alcohol because of the sugar.

[/ QUOTE ]

basically his body has no efficient way to regulate his energy supply, usually very treatable, but in an athlete who is as active as a D-1 basketball player, i'm impressed that he has good enough control to compete at that level

Tron 12-11-2005 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the guy with the worst mustache ever, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? I am pretty sure nearly all of his talent is derived from that mustache.

mblax10 12-11-2005 12:37 AM

Adam Morrison is the best player in college right now. Morrison has scored 43 points twice this season vs. Michigan State & at Washington, both of these teams have legitimate shots to make the final 4.

At Washington, Morrison carried his team on his back the second half to come back from a 10 point half-time deficit. Morrison was a less second shot away from snapping the nation's longest home winning streak. He did all this playing most of the second half with reserves as Earl Knight DNP, Ravio was injured early and did not return. The 3 other starters, Batista, Mallon & Altidor-Cespedos all played limited minutes in the second half due to foul trouble.

Most early NBA draft projections I've seen have Morrison going #2 after Rudy Gay from Connecticut. He would've been a lottery pick in last year's draft.

MEbenhoe 12-11-2005 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Michigan State & at Washington, both of these teams have legitimate shots to make the final 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry i stopped reading at this point.

Victor 12-11-2005 01:03 AM

to all the ppl saying that morrisson is the best player you are incredibly wrong.

perhaps you may not have noticed he is white.

private joker 12-11-2005 01:54 AM

http://images.art.com/images/product...0/10109280.jpg

What are you trying to say?

freehat 12-11-2005 02:25 AM

He's the best I've seen play this year.

Victor 12-11-2005 03:50 AM

are you really implying that stockton was, at some point in time, the best player.

DontRaisePlz 12-11-2005 04:12 AM

Shelden Williams completely carried Duke on his back while JJ had 0 points in the 2nd half vs. Memphis.

JJ buries a Texas team that pretty much gave up in the 2nd half. They won by 29. He could've scored 20 points and they'd still win. Wow, he piled on points vs. a completely demoralized Texas team taht turned the ball over like 25 times, big deal. Not to mention Shelden's 20-20 effort vs. Tech while JJ was stinking it up, 6-19 from the field.

Please. It's proven by over and over again that Shelden is the BEST PLAYER ON DUKE (screw semantics, important, best, who cares). How many times does JJ not show up in a 2nd half only for Duke to win anyway because Shelden dropped a 20-15 game? How many times does foul trouble for Shelden completely throw them off their game?

Shelden is the central cog of a powerhouse team. JJ is merely the ultimate complimentary player.

B Dids 12-11-2005 04:50 AM

He called bank on the shot, or so he claims- it's not THAT lucky.

I watched most of the Washington game and he blew me away. Based on that game- I'm willing to buy that he's the best. He really is an amazing offensive player. It's so nice watching a guy who plays well, and SMART when most college players are just chucking like idiots.

Reddick might be the best shooter, but Morrison is a much better scorer inside. He's got some very slick post moves and drives better than you'd think for a guy built like he is.

private joker 12-11-2005 07:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
are you really implying that stockton was, at some point in time, the best player.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm implying that it's ludicrous to blanket-state that white guys can't be great basketball players.

bernie 12-11-2005 08:27 AM

I watched him hang 43 points on the Huskies. They defended him pretty well. The dude just keeps making shots.

b