Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   My landlord wants to increase our rent at the end of our lease... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=395650)

xLukex 12-10-2005 05:31 PM

My landlord wants to increase our rent at the end of our lease...

So my landlord sent my roommate and I a letter today which says that he needs to know by January 16th whether or not we'll be staying through August 2007 (our lease is up August '06). Anyways, he is closing off the living room and turning it into a 3rd bedroom. Right now, for 2 bedrooms, it is $600 plus utilities. Now it is going to be $900 plus utilities.

Anyways, this seems like kind of a crappy deal since there is some stuff wrong with this place that should probably be taken care of before he makes a 3rd bedroom. EVERYTHING is outdated. We are good tenants. Neither of us drink, smoke, or have parties.

So, would my best play be to tell him to fix other stuff before we pay $900 or try and get the rent down? Which would seem more reasonable?

My read on him is that he is a sissy--not sure if he has a lot of $$ or not. This is only his second property.

I mean I kind of want to stay for the convenience factor. Not having to move again would be pretty cool, and this place isn't all that bad except for some of the stuff that needs fixed.

So what is my play? I don't really want to piss him off or anything.

IggyWH 12-10-2005 05:32 PM

Re: My landlord wants to increase our rent at the end of our lease...

Sounds like Kelly, pleaseeeeeeeee tell me you don't rent from them? I seriously want to firebomb their offices!!!

bobman0330 12-10-2005 05:33 PM

when/how exactly is he "closing off the living room and turning it into a 3rd bedroom"?

haakee 12-10-2005 05:41 PM

If comparable rentals are cheaper than $900, then find some of them and show him the listings for them. You can then probably negotiate a little further down by pointing out that you've been model tenants.

xLukex 12-10-2005 05:45 PM

Not Kelly. No management or anything to go through. Just one dude who owns 2 properties.

He is closing off the room during 1 week in the summer, working during the day while I'm at work.

I can't find comparable places that are cheaper because there isn't that much listed until February or March.

bobman0330 12-10-2005 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He is closing off the room during 1 week in the summer, working during the day while I'm at work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems a little sketchy to me. If you want, you can probably just not let him do that until after your lease runs out, which would be a pain for him. You might be able to use that as some sort of bargaining chip to haggle the rent down a bit. Other than that, you seem screwed.

chesspain 12-10-2005 05:58 PM

As a landlord I can tell you:

1) You certainly don't need to be deciding now whether you want to renew your lease for 9/06-8/07. Although he might like some idea now, it's awfully early to be getting tenants to decide whether they want to renew nine months from now.

2) Right now you are paying $300/each plus utilities for a personal bedroom, and shared bathroom, living room, kitchen. After the "renovation," you will be paying the same rent but losing a living room, meaning it will be more like living in a dorm or a rooming house.

3) No way would I allow him to begin shutting off the living room during the summer, while you remain a lawful tenant. He only has the right to make necessary repairs, and to show the place to potential tenants if you will be moving. Otherwise, you have the right to full, quiet enjoyment of the entire apartment for as long as you are a lawful tenant. Make sure if you don't plan on staying that he knows that you know your rights.

ZeeJustin 12-10-2005 06:00 PM

I'm confused. How can he turn your living room into a bed room if you are still living there?

IggyWH 12-10-2005 06:01 PM

My play would be to agree in principle and you'll sign the new lease once the work is done. You then can decide once the work is done if it is worth it.

If that doesn't fly, tell him that you won't be renewing. Finding a new place in Oakland is no problem at all come April/May.

xLukex 12-10-2005 06:05 PM

Yeah, I'm thinking we might try and go for a different place.

I dunno, we're actually under the lease of the management company (even though he owns the place now) and we don't have a lease under him yet at all. He wants us to sign one from 1/16 or whatever until 08/07. I don't think I feel comfortable with this.

And to chesspain, since we don't actually have a lease under this guy, if we decide not to live here can we still enjoy our peace and quiet all summer?

12-10-2005 06:09 PM

I recently moved out of my apartment due to my crappy landlord. If you are interested in some ways of screwing your landlord, I can be of help.

bobman0330 12-10-2005 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm thinking we might try and go for a different place.

I dunno, we're actually under the lease of the management company (even though he owns the place now) and we don't have a lease under him yet at all. He wants us to sign one from 1/16 or whatever until 08/07. I don't think I feel comfortable with this.

And to chesspain, since we don't actually have a lease under this guy, if we decide not to live here can we still enjoy our peace and quiet all summer?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no lawyer, but it seems like he's still bound by your lease, as the successor of the management company. Don't sign another lease unless it's somehow better for you.

jakethebake 12-10-2005 06:20 PM

That's why they have leases. When your lease is up, you negotiate a new one or move on. It's his property. He can do with it what he wants once your lease is up. I don't get the issue here. It wouldn't surprise me though if he's already doing some work to add a room if he might fix some other stuff.

vexvelour 12-10-2005 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3) No way would I allow him to begin shutting off the living room during the summer, while you remain a lawful tenant. He only has the right to make necessary repairs, and to show the place to potential tenants if you will be moving. Otherwise, you have the right to full, quiet enjoyment of the entire apartment for as long as you are a lawful tenant.

[/ QUOTE ]

ISF 12-10-2005 06:34 PM

I really dont understand your dilema. Its either worth 900 to you or it isnt. Regarding the extra room if you dont want it no reason to let him install it before you leave.

12-10-2005 06:38 PM

Your landlord probably doesn't know what he's doing. Either he seriously underpriced the place when he first rented it to you, or he's trying to charge you above market rate. A 50% increase is ridiculous.

Probably what happened is, he's figuring on an X% income from his property. The property value went up, like everything has everywhere, so he thinks he should get a higher rent payment. This is not how it's supposed to work. Supply and demand works in the rental market. He's not guaranteed to get any return. In fact, property prices are so much higher than rents in some areas that the market value of rent won't cover mortgage, tax, and maintenance. Because of this, you're actually in a great bargaining position.

Seriously, though, I would want to move, because it sounds like he has no idea what he's doing. It's only like one weekend of work, and you'll save yourself a lot of money and grief.

xLukex 12-10-2005 06:41 PM

My dilemma is do I want to pay the same amount of rent for a smaller apartment without him fixing anything else.

He really doesn't have any idea what he's doing. Like I said, this is only his second rental property. I mean, he is a nice guy, and we sat around and talked when he closed the place. Just seems like a dolt. I might just tell him what I think and see how he takes it.

BadBoyBenny 12-10-2005 07:30 PM

What part of Pittsburgh?

jar 12-10-2005 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You certainly don't need to be deciding now whether you want to renew your lease for 9/06-8/07. Although he might like some idea now, it's awfully early to be getting tenants to decide whether they want to renew nine months from now.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is SOP in the student housing market. At least, my landlord, and landlords of most of my friends did. This was in Worcester, MA, so this may vary.

Being a landlord for college kids has it's plusses and minuses. The big advantage is that you have near 100% occupancy, at least if your property is near a school with a relatively low housing supply, like a school located in a city.

chesspain 12-10-2005 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A lease through the management company is still a lease through the landlord. However, the landlord has an interest in having your renewal be directly through him, for then he won't have to pay the management company's commission for the next year's lease.

Moreover, unless your lease has some funky wording in it, I assume that the place remains yours, under the present rent arrangement, through August.

Ray Zee 12-10-2005 08:45 PM

if you two are renting the whole apt. then he has no authority to close anything off to you. or even enter without notice and a good reason. and that may not be to show it to others unless that is in the lease.

you dont have to do anything until your lease is up and then decide. if yoou want out early you need his approval.
no rent increase until lease ends. but read your lease that will tell what happens.

xLukex 12-10-2005 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What part of Pittsburgh?

[/ QUOTE ]

South Oakland...I go to Pitt. Roomie goes to Duquesne. We live right by the Boulevard, so it's a 5 minute bike ride for him to Duquesne and a 15 minute walk for me to campus.

Scotch78 12-10-2005 10:43 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see how raising the rent 50% without significantly increasing the square footage, or otherwise drastically improving the property, is anything short of attempted robbery. Since I don't see him completing an addition in one week, I am assuming he intends only to renovate the existing space to change the use of one room. If that's the case, tell him to go [censored] himself.

Scott

SammyKid11 12-10-2005 10:50 PM

So much is wrong with this equation:

1) Your landlord should not demand that you decide by mid-January whether or not you want to renew your lease 7.5 months later. This is wholly inappropriate and unreasonable. Tell him you simply cannot commit that far in advance and that if he can't bend on that, you will regrettably have to move out.

2) Your landlord cannot fundamentally alter the place you're living while your lease is still current. Politely inform him that you have rights under your current lease and that one of those rights is peaceable enjoyment of your leased property, as you leased it (a 2 bedroom with a full living room, not a three bedroom with no living room). If he pushes, threaten legal action against him...if he doesn't concede, TAKE legal action against him.

3) This alteration of the property does not lend itself to your living situation. You have one roommate and the two of you are happily paying your rent to live in a 2-bedroom with living room house. Tell him for your purposes as tenants, his alterations (even if done properly after your lease expires and/or with your permission) simply don't work for you...and that if those are his locked-in plans you will definitely be moving out. You might also let him know that finding someone to pay 900/month for a three-bedroom, no living room place might be a challenge for him given that most people enjoy living rooms.

4) His rent hike of 50% is unreasonable. Tell him if he initially undervalued the price of his lease that you're willing to work with him on an incrementally-higher payment...but that for the next lease period, you're really only willing to go as high as...I dunno how high you're willing to go...maybe $750?

All in all, it sounds like this guy is a total doofus who doesn't understand what he can and cannot do to tenants. If he refuses to work with you on these points, you should really find a different place to live. But DO NOT let him alter the property to your detriment while your lease is still current -- that is clearly against the law. And even if he is willing to give up the alterations entirely and work with you on rent, DO NOT commit yourself that far into the future by signing a lease that runs through August '07 in January '06.

NateDog 12-10-2005 11:32 PM

Lest we not forget that (at least in my California properties) your landlord can give you a 60 Day Notice to Vacate 60 days before your lease expires. Then you won't have a choice in the mattter, you're out.

PM me if you need any advice. I'm an asset manager for a mid size multi-family/commercial property management firm. My legal knowledge is limited to CA, CO, NV, and AZ though.

smb394 12-11-2005 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You certainly don't need to be deciding now whether you want to renew your lease for 9/06-8/07. Although he might like some idea now, it's awfully early to be getting tenants to decide whether they want to renew nine months from now.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is SOP in the student housing market. At least, my landlord, and landlords of most of my friends did. This was in Worcester, MA, so this may vary.

Being a landlord for college kids has it's plusses and minuses. The big advantage is that you have near 100% occupancy, at least if your property is near a school with a relatively low housing supply, like a school located in a city.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was generally true when I went to PSU. We would usually have to indicate to our landlords by January at the latest if we'd be renewing our lease. Sometimes earlier.

Towards the end of the lease periods, the large apartment owners do painting and other repairs, making the units very uncomfortable to live in for a bit.

In your situation, I'd strongly consider going elsewhere.

housenuts 12-11-2005 02:57 AM

would you stay there and pay $900 as it is now?

if you would tell him you'll just pay the $900 and you don't want him to do any renovations. tell him whenever you decide to move out then he can do the reno's if he wants, but for now you'll just pay him $900 and he doesn't need to do anything except fix what is already broken.

BadBoyBenny 12-11-2005 01:18 PM

If he won't compromise, you can probably find a better deal close enough to where you are that moving won't be a huge pain.

Luv2DriveTT 12-11-2005 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you two are renting the whole apt. then he has no authority to close anything off to you. or even enter without notice and a good reason. and that may not be to show it to others unless that is in the lease.

you don't have to do anything until your lease is up and then decide. if you want out early you need his approval.
no rent increase until lease ends. but read your lease that will tell what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to clarify that although Ray's advice is generally correct in all states & municipalities, you must check your lease & regional laws to make sure.

PS: My rent just went up 24%, moving out on the 1st [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] 3.k/month is getting silly.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

xLukex 12-11-2005 02:28 PM

Wow, you guys have given me a lot of valuable advice.

Basically, I'm just going to tell him as of now we're moving out and not signing a super huge lease. Then I'm going to say if he decides to fix a lot of other stuff along with adding a room we can talk.

Good idea?

MarkL444 12-11-2005 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see how raising the rent 50% without significantly increasing the square footage, or otherwise drastically improving the property, is anything short of attempted robbery. Since I don't see him completing an addition in one week, I am assuming he intends only to renovate the existing space to change the use of one room. If that's the case, tell him to go [censored] himself.

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Im with you on this one. Basically he is now going to be making more off of the exact same property. And why? Because he made it less comfortable for its tenants? Eff that guy.

imitation 12-11-2005 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, you guys have given me a lot of valuable advice.

Basically, I'm just going to tell him as of now we're moving out and not signing a super huge lease. Then I'm going to say if he decides to fix a lot of other stuff along with adding a room we can talk.

Good idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you tell him you are moving out, just say "I don't know", Man it's pretty simple really, say ok I don't want you to reno now it's inconvenient, also i'm not sure about what i want to do with the lease, then say buddy come back 2 mths before it runs out and we'll discuss it. Or alternatively if you would like the renovations you can sign some auxilary contract to allow him to complete that work, however i'd be careful because I would guess any substantial renovations to the house may be enough to void the original contract, so you may need to devise an entirely new contract to be signed which basically says the auxilary contract comes into effect for the duration of the renovations following which the old contract is enforcable on the "new" building. However you don't really need to sign papers for all this cause like verbal contracts ARE enforcable contracts as well, but if you think the guy is possible to screw you best to be safe.

Anyway, why can't you just talk to the guy about this, you seem pretty retarted actually.

imitation 12-11-2005 03:05 PM

Sorry i posted the last bit because of p****, but come on seriusly how do you move out and get a place and sign numerous other contracts through out your life and not just get an inkling of how they work. This stuff just seems like commonsense....

xLukex 12-11-2005 03:57 PM

I'm 20 years old, moved out of my house 3 months ago for the first time (lived in the dorms one year) and have never dealt with any of this. That is why I came for ADVICE, not to be flamed.

But if we're going to play like that, you seem pretty retarded for not knowing how to spell.