Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Freedom of speech during wartime should be curtailed. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=394390)

BillUCF 12-08-2005 06:55 PM

Freedom of speech during wartime should be curtailed.

In WWII the U.S. Military had an office of censorship that controlled the information released to the public. We need that office reopened. Information about U.S. strategies, tactics, and prisoner interrogation should be withheld from the public. In WWII the press in the U.S. was on the same side as the government and freely went along with the censorship. The liberal press today obviously wants the U.S. to lose this war. It is a sad state of affairs when the press publishes information about interrogation of prisoners when such interrogations/torture will provide details which saves the lives of U.S. troops on the ground.

A related topic are the irresponsible remarks made by Howard Dean. I hope the FBI investigates him for sedition/treason charges.

theweatherman 12-08-2005 06:57 PM

Re: Freedom of speech during wartime should be curtailed.

i retract my retractment. * system needed to keep out ridiculous trolls. Peace.

lehighguy 12-08-2005 06:58 PM

Are you on crack?

Autocratic 12-08-2005 07:13 PM

Bill, you know what you'd love? China.

bobman0330 12-08-2005 07:15 PM

gimmick account?

12-08-2005 07:19 PM

I don't agree with him, but the war effort is being undermined by some members of the press.

He feels that the possibility of saving American lives justifies infringing on freedom of speech. Again I disagree, but I don't think his point of view is that unreasonable.

coffeecrazy1 12-08-2005 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In WWII the U.S. Military had an office of censorship that controlled the information released to the public. We need that office reopened. Information about U.S. strategies, tactics, and prisoner interrogation should be withheld from the public. In WWII the press in the U.S. was on the same side as the government and freely went along with the censorship. The liberal press today obviously wants the U.S. to lose this war. It is a sad state of affairs when the press publishes information about interrogation of prisoners when such interrogations/torture will provide details which saves the lives of U.S. troops on the ground.

A related topic are the irresponsible remarks made by Howard Dean. I hope the FBI investigates him for sedition/treason charges.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess someone has to carry on Joe McCarthy's banner. Bill...I didn't think we'd see you back, but like a fart after a bad meal, you've come back again.

AngryCola 12-08-2005 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Trolls will never be welcome here. There doesn't need to be a system to decide when a troll should finally be banned. If they are obvious trolls from the outset, they shouldn't expect to be around much longer.

BTW, none of this is specifically about the OP. I'm just responding to a more general moderation thingywhatsit.

Ray Zee 12-08-2005 07:25 PM

possibly so. but we havent been in a war since ww2. the others are things we created for political reasons.

even in ww2 it was not a good thing to trust the govt. to do what is right. as they do was is best for them in power.

12-08-2005 07:36 PM

Opinion...

Leave him alone. So far I've been able to ignore responding to him. It's really not taken a great effort. And I've still got the "Ignore" option. Never used it, but it's there.

Freedom of speech is allowed in this forum. Look around. Radical expressions of opinion, flames, rants - you name it, we got it.

Reaction and replies encourage him. If you ignore him he'll leave.

moose47 12-08-2005 07:52 PM

I completely agree Bill. Now can I have a signed copy of "Whose Looking out for You"?

Voltron87 12-08-2005 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bill, you know what you'd love? China.

[/ QUOTE ]

"LOL"

winner

tylerdurden 12-08-2005 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the "* system"? I'm assuming it's used in some other 2+2 sub-forum; maybe I should get out more often.

tylerdurden 12-08-2005 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The liberal press today obviously wants the U.S. to lose this war.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the same fallacy that those that use "society's will" as a justification for oppressive action make. There is no monolithic "liberal press" that makes conscious decisions, any more than there is a "will of the people".

Why is a "liberal press" any less legitimate than an elected government? The press only exists in the form it does (mostly) due to market forces. If 51% of voters make a government beyond questioning, then certainly the "press entity" that has survived the market's judgement must have even more legitimacy.

12-08-2005 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the "* system"? I'm assuming it's used in some other 2+2 sub-forum; maybe I should get out more often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Venture, if you dare, over to OOT. Read the newest "sticky." It's Astroglide's system of publishing/announcing a poster's status.

Chris Alger 12-08-2005 09:43 PM

This is a great illustration of why we're in Iraq and why we need to leave ASAP. Note all the hallmarks of the fascism that the White House must rely on for its bedrock of support:

1. The equation of disagreement with treason. "I hope the FBI investigates him [Dean] for sedition/treason charges." Of course the FBI will never do this but Bill has no idea why because he believes that anyone who disagrees with him over the war is a traitor and, presumably, should be put to jailed or executed.

2. Paranoid conspiracy theories. "The liberal press today obviously wants the U.S. to lose this war." The "liberal press" helpfully promulgated all the lies that made 2/3's of the public believe that Saddam was responsible for 9/11 and was about to attack the U.S. with its vast WMD arsenal while ridiculing dissenters as hopelessly naive. So while the "liberal press" trumpted all the phony reasons for the war, dowplayed and ridiculed popular opposition, downplayed the killing of civilians by U.S. forces and continues to generally and overtly support the war, Bill thinks he sees a vast liberal conspiracy that "obviously" wants the U.S. to lose.

3. The invention of preposterous facts. Bill pretends that torture will "save[] the lives of U.S. troops on the ground" but can't identify even a single instance where this has happened, likewise ignoring all the cases where the innocent were tortured "by mistake" and later released.

4. Hatred of democratic institutions. The hallmark of fascist ideology is the termination of debate and dissent. Bill's vision of a "free" press that only reports pro-U.S. facts and propaganda is indistinguishable from Hilter's or Stalin's propganda machines.

5. Addiction to propaganda and the inability to cope with unwelcome news. Bill can't describe any connection between reporting about torture U.S. military setbacks because of course there is none. The "sad state of affairs" Bill decries therefore really amounts to public knowledge that the U.S. is a torturing country. It is this contradiction between image and reality that's obviously driving his anger and nothing more.

Just as support from liberal democratic Senators (Clinton, Biden, Kerry) was and remains vital to the launching of this war, so too is the fascist and exterminationist elements of the popular right. Without both of them, this war would not have occurred and the 200,000 or so casualties that have been sustained would never have happened.

BCPVP 12-08-2005 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Like Nut4Dawgs said, it's a system astroglide uses in OOT to keep the number of dumb threads down. He gives out * for stupid threads/posts and when you get to 3 your out. He seems to be doing it fairly so far and I think Cola would be just as good.

Arnfinn Madsen 12-08-2005 10:33 PM

Great post, Alger. Manipulation and power abuse happens for a reason, it happens since the agenda would not be possible to push forward without it.

12-09-2005 11:09 AM

Life is much happier when the government does your thinking for you.

Kurn, son of Mogh 12-09-2005 01:05 PM

According to the Constitution, we are not currently at war.

A suspension of some constitutional rights would require that Congress pass down a Declaration of War, something it has not done in 64 years.

While I disagree with Howard Dean's comments, I defend his right to make them. The kind of penalties you seem to support are more like Saddam's Iraq than the USA I want to live in.

theweatherman 12-09-2005 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A suspension of some constitutional rights would require that Congress pass down a Declaration of War, something it has not done in 64 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

More importantly the US would need a governmental entity to declare war on. OF course if we did this in Iraq it would of been an illegal war since first strike policies arre strictly forbidden by the Geneva Convention

Kurn, son of Mogh 12-09-2005 01:14 PM

illegal war

For some reason I find this phrase hilarious.

theweatherman 12-09-2005 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
illegal war

For some reason I find this phrase hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is hilarious. That our society could somehow make rules for who and what is ok to explode and how is outright ridiculous. However these rules are clearly defined and the US seems to want to hold others to them. As such we should be bound by them as well, or face a UN invasion (hahaha)

CORed 12-09-2005 03:57 PM

Damn right. There no way we can bring freedom to Iraq if we're silly enough to practice it here.

tolbiny 12-09-2005 05:00 PM

unless you get stuck with one of dem crappy governments that tells you to be unhappy. then yer screwed.

masse75 12-10-2005 12:52 AM

Sounds great. So, when did Congress declare war?

hetron 12-11-2005 01:27 PM

Since when are we at war? Is every military incursion the US armed forces take part in a "war"? And if so, should we practice censorship at all these times.

natedogg 12-11-2005 04:19 PM

"Freedom of speech during wartime should be curtailed."

SLAVERY IS FREEDOM
WAR IS PEACE

We have always been at war with Oceana.

natedogg

hmkpoker 12-11-2005 04:22 PM

Don't forget, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

^_^