Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Best Old School Video Game of All Time; Round of 32 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=392929)

durron597 12-06-2005 08:25 PM

Best Old School Video Game of All Time; Round of 32

Hey guys-

I am defining old school to simply mean, 'Older than 1994'. I completely randomized the seeding for this one, mostly because I think seeding may have effected the results from the last poll. I intentionally did not include multiple games from a series, when voting you can think of the game as representative of the series if you like. So there's only one Zelda game, one Megaman, one Star Wars, one Dragon Warrior, one Final Fantasy, one Sonic, etc.

Also I made an executive decision to leave out really old games like Asteriods, Pong, Pac-Man, etc. because the list was getting too long already.

Like the worst movie poll, I'll let this one run for two days.

12-06-2005 08:27 PM

Re: Best Old School Video Game of All Time; Round of 32

all I have to say is that if Zelda, Super Metroid, and/or FF3 US lose, I will officially lose faith in OOT completely.

BTW, great head to head lineup of Punch Out and Super Mario Kart, tought choice.

Rockatansky 12-06-2005 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
all I have to say is that if Zelda, Super Metroid, and/or FF3 US lose, I will officially lose faith in OOT completely.

BTW, great head to head lineup of Punch Out and Super Mario Kart, tought choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Super Metroid is good, but, unfortunately, it is up against one of the best PC games ever made. There's no way you can't vote for Tie Fighter.

vulturesrow 12-06-2005 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If XCOM doesnt win the whole shooting match than clearly it means that many people with no clue voted.

12-06-2005 08:34 PM

right, whatever, tie fighter is nowhere near the game that super metroid is.

Sry, but I really dont see the argument. Of course, Im a diehard nintendo fan, and super metroid is one game I've played the [censored] out of. I think I might make the case for it being one of the best sequels of all-time.

swede123 12-06-2005 08:34 PM

Some brutally tough matchups in this one. I think it will come down to whether a majority of people around here are PC fans or console fans.

Swede

fluff 12-06-2005 08:37 PM

Pitting PC games against console games is like pitting NFL games against arena football.

durron597 12-06-2005 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some brutally tough matchups in this one. I think it will come down to whether a majority of people around here are PC fans or console fans.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

I really did randomize the seeding. Looking back I wish I had put some effort into this, like splitting Contra and Populous II, putting them each against Tie Fighter and Super Metroid.

12-06-2005 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If XCOM doesnt win the whole shooting match than clearly it means that many people with no clue voted.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh god, I know this might get me an asterisk, especially since video games are my career, but what the [censored] is an XCOM?

(Im 21, and didnt have a computer till I was 12.. total console guy).

12-06-2005 08:38 PM

Street Fighter 2 v Mega Man 2......Both of these games are better than most of the rest. I want to see SF2 vs Super Metroid for a final. I am officially rooting for Super Metroid to win.

siccjay 12-06-2005 08:39 PM

HOW IN THE [censored] IS DRAGON WARRIOR LOSING TO SIM CITY 2000?

siccjay 12-06-2005 08:40 PM

also WHERE IS BASEBALL STARS?

12-06-2005 08:40 PM

WHAT IN THE HELL.

you guys voted castlevania over final fantasy six, largely regarded as the second best rpg of all time? HOW OLD ARE YOU PEOPLE? I could see castlevania - symphony of time, but not that awful uninspired original crapfest.

ugh, can you guys tell Im passionate about video games?

Russ McGinley 12-06-2005 08:40 PM

Putting Chrono Trigger vs TSB also sucks.

durron597 12-06-2005 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HOW IN THE [censored] IS FINAL FANTASY VI LOSING TO CASTLEVANIA?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

siccjay 12-06-2005 08:43 PM

dunno

I voted final fantasy

12-06-2005 08:44 PM

I knew I liked you for some reason, durron.

and it wasnt your STT advice [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Freakin 12-06-2005 08:44 PM

Holy [censored], these are some tough decisions.

durron597 12-06-2005 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'll make it a double elimination tournament? These matches had to happen eventually, anyway...

astroglide 12-06-2005 08:51 PM

zelda rep should be ocarina
super mario rep should be super mario world

this is cool but it's still missing a lot of top shelf games

12-06-2005 08:53 PM

these all seem old school.

ergo, I would vote symphony of the night over the original zelda,

and ocarina of time over my firstborn baby, but this isnt the last round.

woot!

durron597 12-06-2005 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
zelda rep should be ocarina
super mario rep should be super mario world

this is cool but it's still missing a lot of top shelf games

[/ QUOTE ]

Ocarina wasn't 1994 or earlier, it was 1998. I literally flipped a coin for Super Mario World vs. Super Mario Bros. 3.

Blarg 12-06-2005 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As the bible says, X-Comness is close to godliness.

MrWookie47 12-06-2005 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh god, I know this might get me an asterisk, especially since video games are my career, but what the [censored] is an XCOM?

(Im 21, and didnt have a computer till I was 12.. total console guy).

[/ QUOTE ]

X-Com, the best game of all time, is a turn based strategy game in which you're leading a squad of people against the alien invasion. I've sunk more hours into this game than any other by far.

wayabvpar 12-06-2005 09:00 PM

The only game that should even give X-Com a run is Civilization. PC games are just so much better as a whole than consoles. Most console games (especially the old school ones) were pathetic compared to what they would have been on a PC in the same era...ESPECIALLY RPGs. Console RPGs are just wrong. PCs do them much better, just the way consoles kick the [censored] out of PCs when it comes to sports games (primarily due to the ability to multi-play in the same room, leading to great trash talking sessions).

Don't even get me started on console FPS games. Having to aim with a thumbstick vs a mouse is beyond retarded.

12-06-2005 09:02 PM

btw, there is a DISTINCT possibility that it would be more reverent to have an all time best for consoles, and one for computers.

as far as the genres, they should be every generation against themselves, except Im not sure what the NES would butt heads with, maybe the sega master system?

Im still hurt inside that metroid wont win, I can not believe this. Again, how old are you guys, not to sound like a young douchiedouche but just because that would give the results more relevance.

Blarg 12-06-2005 09:08 PM

X-Com has still never been topped at what it does in all these years, not even close.

And I mean that 100% literally. Not even close.

Hamish McBagpipe 12-06-2005 09:10 PM

No Atari 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision, Vic-20, TRS-80 (including the notorious opium trading game), or ancient PC games means a new ultra-old school category is needed. I'm only 36 for the love of snip-snaps. I had more fun playing Zaxxon on Colecovision than most of these selections.

durron597 12-06-2005 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No Atari 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision, Vic-20, TRS-80 (including the notorious opium trading game), or ancient PC games means a new ultra-old school category is needed. I'm only 36 for the love of snip-snaps. I had more fun playing Zaxxon on Colecovision than most of these selections.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love to see a poll of only games pre-NES, but I wouldn't consider myself qualified to make this poll.

einbert 12-06-2005 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is that even close? You are comparing a _football game_ to one of the greatest RPGs of all time? A game with awesome character development, storyline, dialogue, and very rich gameplay to a game where you try to move your 16 pixel guys past the other 16 pixel guys? I mean come on. Sports games have their place in the industry but this matchup should be nowhere near close.

Edit: Wow just saw the results on this one so far. All I can say is that there is obviously a huge population of [censored] jocks whose favorite game of all time is Halo in OOT. There really is no point in continuing this tournament any further because it is obvious that a huge portion of these people simply have no taste in video games whatsoever.

man 12-06-2005 09:20 PM

these were tough matchups for me:

Super Mario Brothers 3 v.
The Secret of Monkey Island

not because it's really a question, but because I love the secret of monkey island and hated seeing it go down.

Final Fantasy III (VI)
Castlevania

the idea of FF3/VI going down to this crap makes me cry.

Dragon Warrior
Sim City 2000

I played and liked both.

in general this poll is making me emotional.

Hamish McBagpipe 12-06-2005 09:21 PM

OK, cool, I offer to set it up after the current "best" polls are through. Pre-NES is definitely the guideline, Pong and up. We've already had a couple of good threads about those ultra-old games.

12-06-2005 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is that even close? You are comparing a _football game_ to one of the greatest RPGs of all time? A game with awesome character development, storyline, dialogue, and very rich gameplay to a game where you try to move your 16 pixel guys past the other 16 pixel guys? I mean come on. Sports games have their place in the industry but this matchup should be nowhere near close.

Edit: Wow just saw the results on this one so far. All I can say is that there is obviously a huge population of [censored] jocks whose favorite game of all time is Halo in OOT. There really is no point in continuing this tournament any further because it is obvious that a huge portion of these people simply have no taste in video games whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]

but see, when I said it, I didnt sound like such a nerd.

honestly, I dont get it, but hey, different strokes for different folks.

btw, all-time classic best idea ever uber-oldschool game was galaga. period, end of damn subject.

einbert 12-06-2005 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
btw, all-time classic best idea ever uber-oldschool game was galaga. period, end of damn subject.

[/ QUOTE ]
The omission of this game to the list is a serious travesty.

[ QUOTE ]
but see, when I said it, I didnt sound like such a nerd.

[/ QUOTE ]
The flaw that strangers most frequently point out to me is my tendency to often sound like a nerd. Honestly I'm not too concerned about it.

imported_CaseClosed326 12-06-2005 09:24 PM

Chrono Trigger losing in the first round in retarded.

durron597 12-06-2005 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
these were tough matchups for me:

Super Mario Brothers 3 v.
The Secret of Monkey Island

[/ QUOTE ]

Monkey Island is a great, extremely underrated game.

mj12 12-06-2005 09:28 PM

zelda -i replaced my grade school education with years of playing that game

Soul Daddy 12-06-2005 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, some of us aren't voting on the uber-geek scale of game craftsmanship, we're just voting on which games we had the most fun playing. TSB [censored] rules to play against friends. Having a season with a bunch of friends in high school taking each team, while demanding, is probably my greatest videogame memory.

12-06-2005 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Chrono Trigger losing in the first round in retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

and FF6 losing just kinda tips this into irrelevancy, since the original castlevania was a total piece of crap.

astroglide 12-06-2005 09:33 PM

day of the tentacle is one of the greatest games of all time, old school or not

a lot of games will be blown out unfairly because of a lack of exposure