Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   craziest game ever (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=392023)

mittman84 12-05-2005 05:44 PM

craziest game ever

I am playing in the wildest game I have ever seen. Capped 3-4 ways on EVERY street and it is 6 max. J3s just took down a 48 big bet pot after he capped it pre flop. How do I play in a game like this? Play tight pre flop? The avg pot is litteraly 20 big bets.

12-05-2005 05:46 PM

Re: craziest game ever

Play more suited connectors and be ready to fold the flop without a good draw. High-card hands go way down in value, since you'll probably need more than a pair to win.

Peter Harris 12-05-2005 05:47 PM

drop to your knees and thank jeebus

MrWookie47 12-05-2005 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Play more suited connectors and be ready to fold the flop without a good draw. High-card hands go way down in value, since you'll probably need more than a pair to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Suited connectors are terrible in this spot. You are investing way too much preflop. It kills your implied odds. You want to play hands with high preflop equity - high card hands, just like you advise against. You don't win as often, but you much more than your share, and you win really big when you do.

LoaferGee12 12-05-2005 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Suited connectors are terrible in this spot. You are investing way too much preflop. It kills your implied odds.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed, same goes to low pairs.

DCWildcat 12-05-2005 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
drop to your knees and thank jeebus

[/ QUOTE ]

And get AA. And don't fold it.

mittman84 12-05-2005 06:18 PM

I did, but it didnt stand a chance v Q4o

12-05-2005 06:32 PM

I think your implied odds are great when it is capped on every street. Not as good as it would be if you could limp PF, but not bad. I meant throw out stuff like A2o or QTo, not AJs or whatever. Of course high hands are good.

12-05-2005 06:34 PM

You pay 2 BB PF to flop a set (7.5-to-1 against). You only need to win an additional 15 BB postflop to make small PPs worth it. With pots capped on every street, how is this not a good play?

milesdyson 12-05-2005 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I did, but it didnt stand a chance v Q4o

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

12-05-2005 06:34 PM

HEPFAP has a section on dealing with wild games, and they recomend tossing the suited connectors and small pairs, and just focusing on big premium hands. The pf cap just kills your implied odds too much for those other hands.

scotty34 12-05-2005 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think your implied odds are great when it is capped on every street. Not as good as it would be if you could limp PF, but not bad. I meant throw out stuff like A2o or QTo, not AJs or whatever. Of course high hands are good.

[/ QUOTE ]

You pay 4 bets to see a flop with 78s, you flop a gutshot and BDFD and have plenty of odds to call. However, you have to realize you will be paying 4 bets to call your gutshot, and another 4 on the turn when you miss.

Stork 12-05-2005 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Suited connectors are terrible in this spot. You are investing way too much preflop. It kills your implied odds.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed, same goes to low pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Low pairs are great here.

mittman84 12-05-2005 07:02 PM

Thanks for the advise guy, but the game is over now. two of the donks went bust(2-3 times each haha) and the other won about a 50BB pot and left. I was down about 25BB with them at the table, and as soon as they all leave I start to get some cards and get back even, now that is frusterating, haha

12-05-2005 07:08 PM

That's why I said toss them without a favorable flop.

The pots will be huge, so even if you make your straight or flush, everyone will call because the pot is big. Normal plays devalues drawing hands because pots will be small and reverse implied odds cuts your profit (ppl clam up when the 3-flush is showing).

In multiway pots, suited connectors gain in equity, while high-card hands, like A5o go down. With 4-5 players, something like 87s has the same equity as A5o and is a helluva lot easier to play.

MrWookie47 12-05-2005 07:15 PM

Since you're going to have to hit a set with small pair in order to win, you have to look at your odds for flopping a set and winning. Assuming it's capped preflop 4 ways, you get 3:1. You're about 7.5:1 to flop a set, but you need better than that since sets can lose. 10:1 is a common estiment of the implied odds you need. Thus, you need to make up an additional 14 BB in order for this to be profitable. Three villains with a 4 bet cap, the absolute maximum is 30 BB, but that's a really tall order. If the pot gets to be 14 BB of postflop betting plus your money, you're probably not winning all that often with your small set except in the absolute wildest of games.

12-05-2005 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HEPFAP has a section on dealing with wild games, and they recomend tossing the suited connectors and small pairs, and just focusing on big premium hands. The pf cap just kills your implied odds too much for those other hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

In HPFAP, they say the "wild games" are where every player comes in for the maximum. I don't see any mention of other streets. Here it is capped *every* street (theoretically).

12-05-2005 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In HPFAP, they say the "wild games" are where every player comes in for the maximum. I don't see any mention of other streets. Here it is capped *every* street (theoretically).

[/ QUOTE ]

No, in HPFAP it talks about those wild players putting multiple bets in on every street. p 214, 4th paragraph.

12-05-2005 07:48 PM

It's not clear to me that it means that, but OK. Anyway, apart from taking it on faith, you can do the math.

CourtJester 12-05-2005 07:59 PM

Yeah, AA, KK and AKs only for the most part, at least until the table calms down, if the you're comfortable w/ throwing away some hands then you can add JJ+ and AK and AQs but thats about it, like wookie said, you want a high equity hand, itll be boring, but when you hit, youre sure to take down huge pots, small pairs and suited connectors are the sux in this game

Alexthegreat 12-05-2005 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, AA, KK and AKs only for the most part, at least until the table calms down, if the you're comfortable w/ throwing away some hands then you can add JJ+ and AK and AQs but thats about it

[/ QUOTE ]

You cannot be serious.

You don't want to play little pairs, yeah, and small suited connectors aren't any good either, like most games. But you should be playing at least 99 and up, as well as JTs and up.

12-05-2005 09:17 PM

I dont really understand the advice here. You play the hands that have equity period. If they cap Q4o you cap 78s. We are online players with huge bankrolls. We [censored] on variance.

12-06-2005 12:08 AM

Exactly. And I still believe suited connectors have an equity edge in some of these pots. You'll just have to beat me with the HPFAP stick until I shut up I guess. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]