Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Can anyone read this guy? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=389857)

gol4pro 12-02-2005 11:21 AM

Can anyone read this guy?

50$ NL, 50$ stacks (100BB)

I have A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in SB.

UTG raises to 1$ (meaning nothing), MP calls (meaning nothing, hes unknown BTW), so I raise to 6$ trying to take it down preflop.

BB (rockish) cold calls, MP calls

Pot 17$
Flop A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
-- I bet 13$, BB folds, MP pushes

It's 33$ back to me getting 2.3:1

a) What's your read?
b) Do you fold?
c) Why or why not?

Isura 12-02-2005 11:25 AM

Re: Can anyone read this guy?

I think you see a weaker ace a lot here.

12-02-2005 11:28 AM

easy call for me...you're only down to 3 hands in villain's range, and nothing really indicates that he has one of those 3.

PinkSteel 12-02-2005 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree, he knows he's pot committed if he flat calls, so he figures he might as well push and get some fold equity.

12-02-2005 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree, he knows he's pot committed if he flat calls, so he figures he might as well push and get some fold equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt someone is thinking that exact though at the $50 games, even if he is a rock.

Anyways, this is an auto-call. You will be shown AQo and AJo most of the time.

TexArcher 12-02-2005 11:46 AM

Easy call, if he hit a set so be it, more often he'll show you A K-J.

beavens 12-02-2005 11:54 AM

i would add something here, but i agree with what everyone has said - call expecting to face a weaker Ax.

4_2_it 12-02-2005 12:23 PM

Easy call. In this situation TPTK is good often enough.

gol4pro 12-02-2005 03:16 PM

Villian showed me A6o.... and I cursed at the monitor quite a bit.

Is preflop fine?

12-02-2005 03:18 PM

Yep you're fine. He lucked out with a hand that you had dominated...it happens [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Riverman 12-02-2005 03:20 PM

Although you will be shown aces up a fair percentage of the time here, its an easy call as they often do this w/ AQ-A10 or even openended

swolfe 12-02-2005 03:20 PM

this is always two pair or better from me expecting you to have a good hand and call me. take that for what it's worth.

Godfather80 12-02-2005 03:23 PM

Swolfe, he's getting better than 2:1. I think he sees A weaker kicker half the time and twopair/set the other half. Good call.

12-02-2005 03:27 PM

Seems tough to lay this down as played. What would you guys do if positions were changed and villain c/r AI? Still call?

DoomSlice 12-02-2005 03:31 PM

Similar situations in past? How strong of hands does he usually get AI with? Making up a read based on betting patterns is one thing... but combining it with previous play is what makes it a real read.

12-02-2005 05:27 PM

How I think about this:

With the preflop raise, most callers will have something like AQ,AJ,KQ,KJ... maybe even AT. Also, most people will call with pockets.

This is probably read-dependent. At my home game, I'd call this bet in a second against some players, and fold it without thinking against others.

Given no read, I'd probably go ahead and call this and expect AK/AQ. If they have 66 or 44, so be it.

As for A6 taking you out... screw him. Who the hell calls that raise w/ A6.

TexArcher 12-02-2005 07:05 PM

Yeah, pre-flop was fine. Tough beat, but consider it an investment -- you got some good info out of him, now write up his awful call in the notes and add him to your buddy list...

12-02-2005 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
50$ NL, 50$ stacks (100BB)

I have A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in SB.

UTG raises to 1$ (meaning nothing), MP calls (meaning nothing, hes unknown BTW), so I raise to 6$ trying to take it down preflop.

BB (rockish) cold calls, MP calls

Pot 17$
Flop A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
-- I bet 13$, BB folds, MP pushes

It's 33$ back to me getting 2.3:1

a) What's your read?
b) Do you fold?
c) Why or why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I see that most people are telling you this is an easy call. In my experiences in 50NL--especially against unknowns, in other words players you aren't sure about their suckiness, when they play back at you for the rest of their chips (he did still have $33) they can usually beat TPTK.

12-02-2005 07:56 PM

I also play 25NL and 50NL and dont think you see AQ or AJ here very often at all. I would be very surprised to find someone that aggressive at my table.

I would fold this, and expect to see 2 pair or trips often.

12-02-2005 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also play 25NL and 50NL and dont think you see AQ or AJ here very often at all. I would be very surprised to find someone that aggressive at my table.

I would fold this, and expect to see 2 pair or trips often.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, you need to find some new $25 games

12-02-2005 08:33 PM

I agree with Ness. This seems like a spot where I get stacked after being shown two pair or a set and then kick myself for not being able to lay down TPTK like all the other fishes that we take money from.

Isura 12-03-2005 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villian showed me A6o.... and I cursed at the monitor quite a bit.

Is preflop fine?

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the toughest things to learn is learning when and when not play for your stack with TPTK. This is a situation when you must be prepared to play for the whole stack. Too bad it didn't work out this time.

12-03-2005 02:24 AM

"As for A6 taking you out... screw him. Who the hell calls that raise w/ A6."
You'd be amazed. Just today, folded to me, I make standard raise with KK, from middle position, BB calls with A6o. Flop comes 6-rag-rag, he bets, I rasie, he calls. Turn brings him his third six. f-ing fish.

12-03-2005 02:34 AM

"easy call for me...you're only down to 3 hands in villain's range, and nothing really indicates that he has one of those 3."
Limped in merely called raise preflop in position, that doesn't sound like a medium pair to you? At the very least the man called that with a suited ace and now has two pair.
Not really that bad of a way to play it. He knows the OP isn't afraid of the ace, he bet out on the flop with the ace showing. Based on the pre-flop action, it's safe to say a good ace. If he just smooth calls the flop bet, OP will now get suspicious and may not put anymore money in the pot. So, he tries to give the impression that he's weak and trying to steal the pot by moving in knowing there are few hands that would call him, namely AK, AQ or a set and he is only in bad shape to the aces. Villian is either stacking OP or only getting his bet on the flop, this is his only chance to get more than the flop bet.