Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Will somebody please get off the back of... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=388618)

Jack of Arcades 11-30-2005 07:20 PM

Will somebody please get off the back of...

Brett Favre?

Most words penned about Brett Favre this season include words like "washed up," "lousy," and "interceptions." You might see a sentence that goes something like this: "Brett Favre is a lousy, wsahed up quarterback that throws a ton of interceptions." Is that true? Well, let's lay all the facts out on the table. Once that's done, we can go about trying to interpret the data.

Brett Favre has:

Thrown 19 interceptions, most in the league
Thrown 19 touchdowns, fourth in the league.
Thrown 401 passes, second in the league.
Completed 63.6% of his passes, ninth in the league.
Has thrown for 6.52 net yards per pass, 21st in the league
*NYPA is (Passing Yards - Sack Yards) / Attempts
Has thrown for 2714 yards, 5th in the league.

Furthermore, Favre has played a pretty tough schedule. So far, he's played the great pass defenses of Pittsburgh and Cincinnatti. He's played Carolina, Minnesota (twice), and Detroit, all with good pass defenses. He's faced the average pass defenses of Tampa, Atlanta, and Philly. He's gotten to face Cleveland and New Orleans as well - but those defenses aren't flat out horrible. They're a step or three above teams like Arizona, Tennessee, St. Louis, Seattle, San Francisco, Houston, and New England. Huh, funny that, Peyton Manning has played those defenses 6 times this season.

Along with the tough schedule, Favre has had no support from his running game. Ahman Green ran for 3.3 ypc before he went down, and was replaced by Najeh Davenport - who promptly got injured against New Orleans. Favre has been relied upon to win the games, beng placed in touch situations where he has to make a play. This, of course, results in risk taking that leads to interceptions.

Another thing to take into consideration is the injury of his #1 wide receiver, Javon Walker. How great would other QBs look after losing a very talented young receiver?

So to summarize:

Brett Favre has thrown the second most passes in the league against tough defenses, without a running game, a #1 wr, and while trailing most of the time. This has lead to the most interceptions in the league, but also the fourth most touchdowns. His Net Yards per Pass is 21st in the league - but when you're passing 36 times a game without a running game, that'll happen. As attempts go up, yards/attempt go down. It's hard to imagine someone playing in such circumstances with great success; the closest thing to that this year is Tom Brady, who still has pretty good receivers catching the ball.

I feel confident in saying Brett Favre is getting screwed this year. This is very different from years previous, when he was simply getting blown. Favre is still an above average QB and can still lead a team to the playoffs - just not this team, ye gods.

SCfuji 11-30-2005 07:27 PM

Re: Will somebody please get off the back of...

he has a cannon for an arm. his team around him is ailing. i hope he has an awesome year next year and ends on a great season.

SammyKid11 11-30-2005 08:20 PM

Interesting points you make and I won't disagree. However, I must be listening to different people than you, cause whenever I turn on the Packers I hear the announcers sucking his cock. I hear announcers talking about how great he is, how it's such a shame that his team is so lousy, how resilient he is for even still being out there with all he's gone through, how they're hopeful he won't end by playing on such a lousy TEAM, and how he's still very capable of playing winning football if the Pack would just put a better supporting cast around him.

But...having no one on the Packers, I haven't watched TOO much Green Bay this year...so you may have heard differently.

11-30-2005 08:40 PM

Favre is still a better than average quaterback on the down side of a HOF Career. But a lot of other QB's have had good years on bad teams and about his WR's, Phill Simms went his whole career w/o a receiver as good as Donald Driver.

Jack of Arcades 11-30-2005 09:14 PM

Sammy,

I was talking mostly of some of the print media and general opinion.

rwperu34 11-30-2005 09:34 PM

And anyway, are interceptions anything new for Brett Favre? All I see is a guy pushing to go down in history as the best QB ever, if he's not already.

brettbrettr 11-30-2005 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And anyway, are interceptions anything new for Brett Favre? All I see is a guy pushing to go down in history as the best QB ever, if he's not already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah. There are at least two guys better. But, yes, I think Favre > Bollinger.

snowden719 11-30-2005 10:44 PM

JoA,

Football Outsiders has Favre ranked as the tenth best quarterback this year in terms of defense adjusted points above replacement (DPAR). Although he isn't lighting up NFL defenses, he most certainly is not washed up.

imported_CaseClosed326 11-30-2005 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Will somebody please get off the back of Brett Farve

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah honestly people need to make room for all the Bears defenders that will be on his back this sunday. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

BWebb 12-01-2005 12:15 AM

My biggest problem with Farve is all the knobslobbing that goes on during his games. I'm not saying he sucks, but I hate hearing "He's making mistakes because his team around him isn't that good and he's trying to do it all by himself". (This is a quote from Aikman last week, paraphrased). If a guy makes a mistake, point it out, but don't blame his cast when he throws INTs like the gameender last week. He shouldn't have thrown that and if another QB did it everyone would say WTF is he thinking.

jacki 12-01-2005 12:41 AM

nice post.

The game announcers do tend to be a little un-critical.
But all I hear on sports radio is how Aaron Rodgers needs to be playing.

Um, no, please.

NLSoldier 12-01-2005 01:11 AM

wowowowowowowowwowow.

favre sucks now, and all i hear is announcers still slobbering all over him. WTF are you talking about? is it opposite day?

Jack of Arcades 12-01-2005 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
favre sucks now

[/ QUOTE ]

False.

[ QUOTE ]
and all i hear is announcers still slobbering all over him.

[/ QUOTE ]

And all I read is

[ QUOTE ]
favre sucks now

[/ QUOTE ]

NLSoldier 12-01-2005 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
favre sucks now

[/ QUOTE ]

False.

[ QUOTE ]
and all i hear is announcers still slobbering all over him.

[/ QUOTE ]

And all I read is

[ QUOTE ]
favre sucks now

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you ever watch packer games? apperently not so ill try to let you in on what the announcers are like.

after pick #1

"along with all the big plays, favre is gonna end up throwing some picks, its just the nature of the way he plays"

after pick #2

"well that really wanst bretts fault, he had to rush his delivery cuz the oline didnt give him any time"

after #3

"that one wasnt bretts fault, he and driver just werent on the same page that time"

yeah i know favre usually throws more than 3 picks per game, but im gonna stop here, i think you get the picture.

Jack of Arcades 12-01-2005 01:24 AM

Yep, he's thrown 3 picks a total of twice this year. One game against Tampa, one game against the best pass defense in the league.

Yeah, I'm tired of hearing Favre get blown on national TV, too. I'm also tired of reading dumbasses pronouncing he sucks. You know, like DJ Gallo of page 2:

[ QUOTE ]
What has happened to Brett Favre? And I'm not talking about his lousy play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, because Favre has never thrown for 20 picks before. Oh wait, he's done it 4 times already. If he didn't suck then, why does he suck now?

Just because announcers are irrational doesn't mean you have to backlash and become irrational yourself.

NLSoldier 12-01-2005 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Right, because Favre has never thrown for 20 picks before. Oh wait, he's done it 4 times already. If he didn't suck then, why does he suck now?

[/ QUOTE ]

he did suck then. hes sucked for a long time now.

Jack of Arcades 12-01-2005 01:29 AM

Tell me, just when did Brett Favre start sucking?

Jorge10 12-01-2005 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Um, no, please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Favre cant go on forever, 1-2 more years max. Rogers is the future of the Packers. They are out of everything right now, why not let the kid get a few snaps instead of wasting the last games of the season. Favre is not washed up, but he cant go on much longer. He should start the games, but play half or even less of the games, to get Rogers some experience, maybe he is a Joey Harrington, the Packers have to find out.

rwperu34 12-01-2005 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
nice post.

The game announcers do tend to be a little un-critical.

Um, no, please.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be in the Packers best interest to get Rodgers some snaps this year even if Favre will be around for another ten years. Maybe one series a game from now until week 16 and a full game in week 17.

Sluss 12-01-2005 08:09 AM

I have said Brett Favre sucks. Of course that is in fantasy football discussions. I don't want him on my fantasy team. He is still in the top half of QBs in the league. But if he is your fantasy QB you need an upgrade and fast.

Now to turn on the Bears homer:

I would like to see him have a very painful injury that ends his career this weekend. Of course then I would have to hear the endless [censored] about how great he was, but I could put up with it just to see him twitching on the Soldier Field grass. God, I hate that guy.

imported_CaseClosed326 12-01-2005 02:03 PM

As one Bears homer to another Brett Farve getting hurt would suck. Then we would lose the chance to beat him twice in a season. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

NLSoldier 12-01-2005 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As one Bears homer to another Brett Farve getting hurt would suck. Then we would lose the chance to beat him twice in a season. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. my vikings rely on farve to throw them a touchdown every year.

wonderwes 12-01-2005 04:23 PM

The Packers lost 2 key WR, their premiere RB, and several offensive lineman. You think if the San Diego chargers or the NY giants had the same thing happen they would have a great record? Of course not.

I still say Farve should play one more year.

imported_CaseClosed326 12-01-2005 04:40 PM

I don't know if you are using quick response or just responding to me. But I agree with you, he still has gas left in the tank. I think about it like this. How would Manning be if he lost Edge, Harrison, Wayne, Clark, Mungro and Jeff Saturday. Probably not 11-0 if you ask me.

Colonel Kataffy 12-01-2005 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Brett Favre is not a smart QB. He makes stupid decisions all the time. He also has an unbelievable arm. I think it is easy to fall in love with Favres highlight tapes because he makes amazing plays that seemingly no one else could make, but you also have to take into account the games he screws up.

I definitly would love to have Brett Favre on my team, but if I had my pick of any QB from any era, I would definitley rather have, Montana, Elway, Manning, Brady, Young, Unitas, Foutes, Marino...

No way is Favre the greatest of all time.

MD2020 12-01-2005 04:45 PM

I love Brett Farve. He's the only QB who's allowed to throw interceptions.

"Oh, that was just Brett trying to make a play".

"He threw into triple coverage!"

"That's just because he's a gunslinger. Not many other QBs would try to do that".

"No kidding--they would through to the open checkdown guy."

NLSoldier 12-01-2005 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love Brett Farve. He's the only QB who's allowed to throw interceptions.

"Oh, that was just Brett trying to make a play".

"He threw into triple coverage!"

"That's just because he's a gunslinger. Not many other QBs would try to do that".

"No kidding--they would through to the open checkdown guy."

[/ QUOTE ]

good post.

Jack of Arcades 12-01-2005 05:02 PM

Guys,

Yes, Favre throws a lot of interceptions. He's still a very valuable QB.

TheNoodleMan 12-01-2005 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guys,

[/ QUOTE ]
There is an obvious backlash against him due to the glowing media praise. Brett Favre can make an unbelievably stupid decision, cost his team a chance to win a game (a playoff game even) and the media more or less gives him a pass. Fans don't like to see guys get preferential treatment when they the screw up. If the media held Favre to the standards of every other QB, then this backlash wouldn't happen.

holeplug 12-01-2005 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Brett Favre?

Most words penned about Brett Favre this season include words like "washed up," "lousy," and "interceptions." You might see a sentence that goes something like this: "Brett Favre is a lousy, wsahed up quarterback that throws a ton of interceptions."

[/ QUOTE ]

Where exactly have you seen this written about him? Most of the stuff I have read this season has been almost the opposite (its not his fault his team sucks this year, etc.)

MD2020 12-01-2005 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Brett Favre?

Most words penned about Brett Favre this season include words like "washed up," "lousy," and "interceptions." You might see a sentence that goes something like this: "Brett Favre is a lousy, wsahed up quarterback that throws a ton of interceptions."

[/ QUOTE ]

Where exactly have you seen this written about him? Most of the stuff I have read this season has been almost the opposite (its not his fault his team sucks this year, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

While this was spoken, and not written, how about the playoff game last year?

Five yards past the line of scrimmage, he throws the ball up in the air and it's luckily caught by one of his own players.

It was an incredibly stupid play by him, with his team already down. In fact, it had absolutely no upside: it's either a penalty or the Vikings intercept it.

But, instead of blasting him for that, the announcers just went on saying "Oh, look at Brett Farve. You can tell he's having fun out there!". No word on how he cost his team field position (they missed the field goal attempt after this play, btw) or how he should have tucked the ball away and tried to get some yardage.

Nope, it's was all "Brett's having fun!".

Jack of Arcades 12-01-2005 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Brett Favre?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I already pointed out the Page 2 article
2) Message boards

Jack of Arcades 12-01-2005 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Guys,

[/ QUOTE ]
There is an obvious backlash against him due to the glowing media praise. Brett Favre can make an unbelievably stupid decision, cost his team a chance to win a game (a playoff game even) and the media more or less gives him a pass. Fans don't like to see guys get preferential treatment when they the screw up. If the media held Favre to the standards of every other QB, then this backlash wouldn't happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Just because announcers are irrational doesn't mean you have to backlash and become irrational yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

12-01-2005 10:25 PM

Being a Vikes fan, I don't like Favre, but I will give him credit. He is a high risk high reward type of guy. He always has been, which is why he only won one super bowl. Unfortunatly for me, I've seen him make so many high risk plays that paid off against the Vikes (Think Monday Night Miracle) but now he is paying for those high risk plays. He has nobody to fall back on now and the way he plays in really hurting the team because his style doesn't match that of the resources he has available to him. Over the years Favre has taken advantage of a below average division with terrible defenses (Lions, Vikings, the Bears D has always been alright but they've just been bad), the last NFC North team to make it to the super bowl besides the Packers was the Bears in 86 I think. I think Favre was an above average QB, now he is just average maybe because of circumstance or maybe because of loss of skill. I don't know. He has been the glue that held this team together for years and now it is finally coming apart.

12-01-2005 10:51 PM

Anyone who saw Brett Favre's two minute drill against the Eagles where he threw two interceptions that were so bad that Jake Plummer never would have thrown themknows why everyone is on his back.

brettbrettr 12-02-2005 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2) Message boards

[/ QUOTE ]

Where credibility is clearly low [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

12-02-2005 01:32 AM

Do you watch football? I mean do you really watch it and not just look at statistics? Favre can't get it done anymore and all the announcers continue to still suck his now shriveled shlong.

CREAM

Jack of Arcades 12-02-2005 04:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
*** You are ignoring this user ***

[/ QUOTE ]

rwperu34 12-02-2005 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Farve is held to the same standards as Dan Marino. The media is very consistent with these standards.