Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Delgado to Mets (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=383962)

fryKing 11-23-2005 11:26 AM

Delgado to Mets

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2234421

Mets get Delgado and $7M for Mike Jacobs and Yusmeiro Petit.

Thoughts? I would have been fine with Jacobs at 1B this year, but I guess money is no object right now for the Mets.

bugstud 11-23-2005 11:45 AM

Re: Delgado to Mets

looks like a good deal for both teams again. fish now have a lotta young talent.

Soul Daddy 11-23-2005 11:47 AM

Whoa, Minaya is crazy. Giving up your top pitching prospect in a deal for a 33 year old 1B is not good. Sure it's just prospects, but wouldn't the Marlins deal Delgado to just about anyone willing to take on that contract? Seems like a gross overpayment to me. Not Kazmir for Benson level, but not too far from it.

bugstud 11-23-2005 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Whoa, Minaya is crazy. Giving up your top pitching prospect in a deal for a 33 year old 1B is not good. Sure it's just prospects, but wouldn't the Marlins deal Delgado to just about anyone willing to take on that contract? Seems like a gross overpayment to me. Not Kazmir for Benson level, but not too far from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think delgado is a better investment than thome, and IIRC those are the only 2 pretty good 1B's on the market.

Soul Daddy 11-23-2005 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think delgado is a better investment than thome, and IIRC those are the only 2 pretty good 1B's on the market.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't disagree, and in a vacuum it's fine. But it just seems like typical Minaya, revealing his cards too early. There are not a slew of teams that were clamouring for his services and would take that contract, so the Mets were in a position of strength. I'd think he could have gotten the deal done with lesser prospects is all.

bugstud 11-23-2005 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't disagree, and in a vacuum it's fine. But it just seems like typical Minaya, revealing his cards too early. There are not a slew of teams that were clamouring for his services and would take that contract, so the Mets were in a position of strength. I'd think he could have gotten the deal done with lesser prospects is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what texas was saying 36 hours before beckett and lowell went to boston. The yanks could use a 1b, even [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

IndieMatty 11-23-2005 12:22 PM

Wow, it sounded like Delgado really hated the idea of coming here. Mutts fans didn't sound like they wanted him either. I thought they would give Jacobs a chance. weird.

nolanfan34 11-23-2005 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I'm not sure why Minaya wanted Delgado so badly, but I'm not sure it was worth giving up Petit for him. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

James282 11-23-2005 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kazmir for Zambrano, which is worse obviously. But that said, I love this trade. Jacobs is good, but got overrated due to running hot for 100 abs last year. Petit seems like the real deal, but he got rocked in AAA last year. Neither of them is the lock that Kazmir is. In Delgado you get a guy who has guaranteed 30 HR power(shea will obviously dilute that a bit) and a guy who really makes the lineup much more imposing. Reyes, Beltran, Wright, Delgado, Floyd. All of a sudden the Mets are borderline scary! The Mets pitching staff is built to win now, or not for several years. Chances are high that the Mets will get Wagner and some guy most people have never heard of to bolster middle relief, and we'll be looking at a very realistic World Series contender next year(especially if Beltran wakes up).
-James

bugstud 11-23-2005 01:19 PM

we need a JoA beacon, lol

James282 11-23-2005 01:24 PM

Great call. Though I'm sure he'll have his 2 cents when he sees this thread. I think the day before thanksgiving is a half-day for high school kids so we probably have an hour or so [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
JK Jack! Love to hear your thoughts on this!
-James

nolanfan34 11-23-2005 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we'll be looking at a very realistic World Series contender next year(especially if Beltran wakes up).
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy there. How's that starting rotation looking?

Soul Daddy 11-23-2005 01:27 PM

I don't question that the Mets are an immediately better team. I just have questions that they needed to include such highly regarded prospects to accomodate someone else's salary dump. They seem to have, once again, outbid themselves.

Jack of Arcades 11-23-2005 01:32 PM

The two deals are now:

Cameron + Jacobs + Yusmeiro Petit = Delgado + Xavier Nady - $4M

Huh. Well, this deal is a bit of a gamble for the Mets. Gamble that Delgado's still one of the best hitters in the world, gamble that Jacobs isn't really anything, and gamble that There's No Such Thing As A Pitching Prospect.

I like it for both teams. The Marlins really know how to hold a firesale, don't they? And the Mets needed a big bat more than anything. Delgado could Thome though. It's unlikely, but big 33 year old 1B aren't exactly immune to sudden collapses.

The Marlins get the better end of this deal, but what does Minaya care? He's got his big bat, it's a good deal for him too.

Jack of Arcades 11-23-2005 01:33 PM

lol, I'm a sophomore in college

James282 11-23-2005 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
we'll be looking at a very realistic World Series contender next year(especially if Beltran wakes up).
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A year older, but not bad at all. Pedro, Seo under 3 ERA, glavine under 4, benson and V Zambrano around 4.1. Trachsel will be here for the whole year as well, so you won't see them trotting out Kaz Ishii and his ilk. Mets were among the best in the league in starting pitching last year as well, the biggest concerns were in the pen.

The Mets were a realistic contender last year - their pythagorean record was better than the white sox(2nd hand information from my little brother, but I believ ehim to be correct). Realistic contender doesn't mean they are a lock by any means. Just expect them to be much better than last year when they were already a well above average team.
-James

Jack of Arcades 11-23-2005 01:53 PM

How much of that had to do with Mike Cameron patrolling right field? His absence will hurt.

Also, the Mets Pythag (89 wins) was worse than Chicago's (91 wins).

James282 11-23-2005 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much of that had to do with Mike Cameron patrolling right field? His absence will hurt.

Also, the Mets Pythag (89 wins) was worse than Chicago's (91 wins).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, he had Mets at 89 Sox at 87. Strange.

As far as Cameron goes, his absence will hurt, but he played less than half the season last year. I can't say I understand the Nady/Cameron trade at all - since it made way more sense when they didn't have a 1b, and Diaz was better than Nady last season, but we'll see. Either way, it's impossible to say that this isn't a huge upgrade for the Mets. And with Wagner looming, the Mets could be much more formiddable next season.
-James

fryKing 11-23-2005 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty good? Pedro, Benson, Glavine, Seo, Zambrano seems pretty good to me overall.

Don't dismiss Jacobs as a flash in the pan though, he had some excellent minor league seasons too, and his batting average was headed back up by the end of the year.

James282 11-23-2005 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty good? Pedro, Benson, Glavine, Seo, Zambrano seems pretty good to me overall.

Don't dismiss Jacobs as a flash in the pan though, he had some excellent minor league seasons too, and his batting average was headed back up by the end of the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely not dismissing him. He seems like a great talent and was awesome 2? years ago in the minors. Delgado is a special player though, the type that you can't project Jacobs turning into because of a few good years in the minors and a nice little run when he hit the bigs.
-James

rudedog78 11-23-2005 03:18 PM

Anyone care to tell me why the marlins go get these players and then trade them the year after. Is it just me or is Loria just a [censored] retard (look at what he did to montreal)... this is sad.

bugstud 11-23-2005 03:19 PM

as opposed to Huizenga?

Soul Daddy 11-23-2005 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone care to tell me why the marlins go get these players and then trade them the year after. Is it just me or is Loria just a [censored] retard (look at what he did to montreal)... this is sad.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ummm... they had a window and seized the opportunity to try and win another championship. It didn't happen, they have financial troubles, so they trade the player after one year and get 2 great prospects back. If they didn't sign him they wouldn't have these prospects. This is phenomenal management of a "small"-market franchise.

pryor15 11-23-2005 04:31 PM

Is Delgado still staying in the dugout during the national anthem (or whatever that was) to protest the war? I seem to remember that not going over well in NYC and can't imagine it increased his willingness to play there.

looks like it's an all-out firesale now.

Aceshigh7 11-23-2005 04:51 PM

Mets are still gonna suck this year! The Mets are trying to be like the Yankees and just piece together a winning team. It's not gonna work.

Look at last year. Mets overpaid for Beltran and the Astros made the World Series. Hahahahahahahahaha. Enjoy that loser and his overpriced contact.

Voltron87 11-23-2005 05:05 PM

here's my expert analysis: OMAR MINAYA IS A CRAZY PUERTO RICAN!!! MAKE SOME HUGE DEALS AND SPEND SOME MORE MONEY ALREADY MAN!!!

Jack of Arcades 11-23-2005 05:07 PM

It was God Bless America.

pokerdirty 11-23-2005 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Mets are trying to be like the Yankees and just piece together a winning team.

[/ QUOTE ]

James282 11-23-2005 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mets are still gonna suck this year! The Mets are trying to be like the Yankees and just piece together a winning team. It's not gonna work.

Look at last year. Mets overpaid for Beltran and the Astros made the World Series. Hahahahahahahahaha. Enjoy that loser and his overpriced contact.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf? Everybody tries to piece together a winning team. Some people can afford it better than others. The Mets have always had a huge payroll, and have often suffered anyways because their money was spent irresponsibly. I'll be the first one to sign if they ever ask the fans if we want a salary cap, until then, I expect my front office to do everything in its power to bring my team to the World Series.
-James

James282 11-23-2005 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What the Marlins did with Delgado is genius on their end. They only paid him 4 million last year and he's due to make 3 times that this year. They made a run at it, realized that it's unlikely for them to be able to repeat next year, and are restocking.
-James

andyfox 11-23-2005 06:55 PM

Delgado had a helluva year last year.

11-23-2005 07:09 PM

The Marlins signed these players counting on getting a new stadium, needing 60 million from the state. After this years hurricanes those plans were scrapped, leaving the Marlins with no money for players. Probably gonna have to wait until they move to Vegas in 2010.

pryor15 11-24-2005 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It was God Bless America.

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought it was something like that. to your knowledge, is he still staying in the dugout?

Clarkmeister 11-24-2005 01:20 PM

The Mets have been favored to win the East for about 4 years running. How's that been working out for you?

Jack of Arcades 11-24-2005 01:35 PM

For my sake, I hope so. For his sake, I hope not.

James282 11-24-2005 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Mets have been favored to win the East for about 4 years running. How's that been working out for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I remember they weren't favored to win in 2002, 2003, 2004, or 2005, but I see what you're saying.
-James