Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   watch what you download from email (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=382929)

whiskeytown 11-21-2005 08:53 PM

watch what you download from email

I wake up this evening and I have 10 emails -

mostly files with .zip attachments - saying my username and password are attached - it's come from half a dozen different sources.

Whenever I see a burst like this, there is a very good chance someone found a new exploit and is milking it while it's hot...

or maybe my email got flagged for extra activity - either way, I recommend Thunderbird or some non-microsoft program for email at all times and watch what you download.

RB

Slow Play Ray 11-21-2005 08:53 PM

Re: watch what you download from email

uh...no kidding?

daryn 11-21-2005 08:54 PM

don't talk to strangers

give your halloween candy to mom first to check it

look both ways before crossing the street

istewart 11-21-2005 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
or maybe my email got flagged for extra activity - either way, I recommend having lived in 1998 when this was made very clear to everyone who is not retarded

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

B Dids 11-21-2005 08:59 PM

Try not to hug things that are burning or pointy!

whiskeytown 11-21-2005 08:59 PM

it's just an FYI post - something I haven't seen in a while - a spike of new emails to that particular email address that wasn't spam but phishing attacks I hadn't seen before.

the fact these bastards still spread on a regular basis and cause havoc is living proof that there are still stupid people who download them, and I'm sure OOT has it's fair share. I'd also say betting on the stupidity of humanity, even on OOT, is a safe bet. That's how these guys make money and get passwords.

RB

11-21-2005 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
don't talk to strangers

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot: Dont make a funny face or itll stay that way.

istewart 11-21-2005 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
don't talk to strangers

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot: Dont make a funny face or itll stay that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not a funny face. He looks like a Halloween goblin freak with a broken neck.

B Dids 11-21-2005 09:01 PM

OOT is dumb when it comes to things like "going outside" and "not drooling in public".

They've probably got the whole computer thing down ok.

Senor Cardgage 11-21-2005 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if I've ever laughed this hard here.

whiskeytown 11-21-2005 09:02 PM

you forgot the part about trying to not get vomit on their shirts either when praying to the Porcelin God.

RB

TheBlueMonster 11-21-2005 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
or maybe my email got flagged for extra activity - either way, I recommend having lived in 1998 when this was made very clear to everyone who is not retarded

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]
lol. I had the same reaction, but not as harsh.

Los Feliz Slim 11-21-2005 09:04 PM

All I know is the CIA is absolutely relentless in pursuing my illegal website activity. I'm pretty sure a helicopter has been following me all day.

whiskeytown 11-21-2005 09:07 PM

bingo....precisely what I mean...

saw three of those - including another one 5 min. ago -

updating my virus profiles now - I'm not catching anything in the .zip files at all - neither is my cable provider - which makes me really suspect.

I MAY save it to the HD, throw in a Knoppix Distro, and take a look, but I'm not in desktop security, and I really have no [censored] interest anymore in that stuff - in the day I enjoyed reverse engineering some of the stupid scripts though.

RB

11-21-2005 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bingo....precisely what I mean...

saw three of those - including another one 5 min. ago -

updating my virus profiles now - I'm not catching anything in the .zip files at all - neither is my cable provider - which makes me really suspect.

I MAY save it to the HD, throw in a Knoppix Distro, and take a look, but I'm not in desktop security, and I really have no [censored] interest anymore in that stuff - in the day I enjoyed reverse engineering some of the stupid scripts though.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

seeing as you are a fellow security dork, take a look at this:
http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/tsafe/

How to crack safes/ATM codes using thermal imaging....just found it today

jacki 11-21-2005 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
watch what you download.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1.../1600/orly.jpg

jedi 11-21-2005 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OOT is dumb when it comes to things like "going outside" and "not drooling in public".

They've probably got the whole computer thing down ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget "talking to girls" and "eating thing that will make you vomit."

kipin 11-21-2005 09:35 PM

Thanks for the information.

shant 11-21-2005 09:36 PM

This has been a great thread so far.

11-21-2005 09:42 PM

Don't touch a hot stove while you're at it.

astroglide 11-21-2005 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

holy [censored] man, that was awesome

what a great thread

4_2_it 11-21-2005 10:53 PM

Don't eat the yellow snow.

CrazyEyez 11-21-2005 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]
lol. I had the same reaction, but not as harsh.

[/ QUOTE ]
The kid gloves are off these days when it comes to ol' whiskeytown.

whiskeytown 11-21-2005 11:25 PM

not only that...but when I take a swing back the posts get deleted....

Hard to get into a battle of wits/posts when the moderators are hypersensitive about you.

Either way, I've gotten a lot more compliments about the avatar then I've gotten insults. But anything that doesn't have juggling [censored] gets insulted in OOT these days.

RB

astroglide 11-21-2005 11:28 PM

it wasn't me

Matt Flynn 11-22-2005 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
not only that...but when I take a swing back the posts get deleted....

Hard to get into a battle of wits/posts when the moderators are hypersensitive about you.

Either way, I've gotten a lot more compliments about the avatar then I've gotten insults. But anything that doesn't have juggling [censored] gets insulted in OOT these days.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

Mods are deleting your responses? Sorry man. This is getting out of hand.

Where is [censored] when we need him to undelete your responses.

astroglide 11-22-2005 12:15 AM

no moderator can undelete posts. how would anybody know that it shouldn't have been deleted anyway?

whiskeytown 11-22-2005 12:17 AM

the easiest answer would be to repost it...if it vanishes again, we have someone else playing moderator

but I couldn't care less - I probalby hit preview and forgot to hit post - no biggie.

RB

diebitter 11-22-2005 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wake up this evening and I have 10 emails -

mostly files with .zip attachments - saying my username and password are attached - it's come from half a dozen different sources.

Whenever I see a burst like this, there is a very good chance someone found a new exploit and is milking it while it's hot...

or maybe my email got flagged for extra activity - either way, I recommend Thunderbird or some non-microsoft program for email at all times and watch what you download.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen. I'M Captain Obvious around here, okay....

Ulysses 11-22-2005 03:46 AM

yeah, i think you are right, hackers are definitely taking advantage of a lot of new exploits and stuff lately. apparently my ebay, citibank, and visa accounts all got hacked somehow, but their security teams caught it, so they sent me emails and i just had to click on a link they sent me and fill out some details (just the standard acct info, old pw before hackers changed it, mother's maiden name verification, etc.) to reset all my account information and they are now going to send me new passwords and stuff. i'm not sure how this happened, but if they wouldn't have sent me those emails, i may have not noticed in time, as i don't check these accounts every day! glad to know their online security is working well.

Reef 11-22-2005 04:18 AM

don't run with scissors

don't give drunken piggy back rides when there's ice on the ground

whiskeytown 11-22-2005 05:01 AM

that sounds a lot like a password sniffer/trojan already on your PC - if they got three seperate accounts like that, your pc is probably the common denominator.

I'd consider a format/reinstall - either that or two virus scanners and every spyware/shareware you can come up with...

this is drifting into Computer Technical - I've gotten a PM or two tonight about stuff - so I won't get into it anymore, but yah - something is harvesting emails and sending .zip files to them - I've gotten the CIA, Nicole Richie/Paris Hilton pics...and who knows what else -

On a whim, I saved one to disk via thunderbird and examined the .zip file without executing - there's an executable in there - Symtemec still sees nothing, even on my HD scanned - and I'm not gonna RUN the executable to find out...

I think it may be time to retire that particular email anyways - had it for 5 years, and after 2 or 3 they get real cluttered.

RB

Blarg 11-22-2005 05:43 AM

To continue a theme in this thread:

You do NOT get a "flavor explosion" when you gnaw through electrical cords.

diebitter 11-22-2005 05:46 AM

Okay, given this is the march of the Obvious Legion...

The use of the word 'literally' for emphasis is incorrect.
Saying 'I was so excited, my head literally exploded' cannot be a literal truth for 2 reasons (a) there's no known cases of this, and (b) you're around to say the statement, so your head is still intact.

Unfortunately.

11-22-2005 05:59 AM

You should have asked me to make this thread for you.

Blarg 11-22-2005 07:25 AM

I got the Nicole Richie/Paris Hilton and FBI version.

Also a couple of things with a return address like Postmaster@cox.net saying my e-mail couldn't be delivered. Not that I had sent one. Zip file attached to all of them.

whiskeytown 11-22-2005 07:29 AM

appears to be a variant of the Sobig viri - the payload is familiar, but for some reason, the new one's being missed by Symantic - I'm sure they'll have one out for it later.

RB

vulturesrow 11-22-2005 08:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, i think you are right, hackers are definitely taking advantage of a lot of new exploits and stuff lately. apparently my ebay, citibank, and visa accounts all got hacked somehow, but their security teams caught it, so they sent me emails and i just had to click on a link they sent me and fill out some details (just the standard acct info, old pw before hackers changed it, mother's maiden name verification, etc.) to reset all my account information and they are now going to send me new passwords and stuff. i'm not sure how this happened, but if they wouldn't have sent me those emails, i may have not noticed in time, as i don't check these accounts every day! glad to know their online security is working well.

[/ QUOTE ]

NH. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

diebitter 11-22-2005 08:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, sorry to spoil this one, it is funny, but just be clear, I'm sure El D. is joking here.

NEVER fill in details on links sent by emails. NEVER. Go to the real sites and do stuff, sure, but NEVER follow email links and do this. You will be telling the bad guys your stuff.

Sorry for treading on the joke El D., but I just know some OOTers will take it at face.

ChipWrecked 11-22-2005 08:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, sorry to spoil this one, it is funny, but just be clear, I'm sure El D. is joking here.

NEVER fill in details on links sent by emails. NEVER. Go to the real sites and do stuff, sure, but NEVER follow email links and do this. You will be telling the bad guys your stuff.

Sorry for treading on the joke El D., but I just know some OOTers will take it at face.

[/ QUOTE ]

Email from Ebay or Paypal will NEVER contain html graphics. They are plain text only.