Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Stud (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   MD/VA/DC Players warning! (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=382715)

PoorLawyer 11-21-2005 03:14 PM

MD/VA/DC Players warning!

My friend replied to a craiglist post about a home game in MD right outside of DC a while ago and has been getting evites from this guy that has been hosting weekly low buy in rebuy tourneys (60 + rebuy I think). Anyway, he has never gone but got a new evite today from the host who said his game was raided by armed gunmen after the tourney was over so some people had gone, but they still took a wad of cash and watches, etc while holding a shotgun to the guys head. He obviously is not hosting anymore and thinks it was someone on his evite list and warned about going to any other games in the area.

Totally not worth shotgun to the head for poker.....

edit: Just looked again and it is in Fairfax, VA

BeerMoney 11-21-2005 03:17 PM

Re: MD Players warning!

I was thinking about holding up Carlos' game, but I figured it would probably be a lot easier just to sit for 1/2 an hour and take their money since they all seem to just try and give it away anyway.

blumpkin22 11-21-2005 03:19 PM

Re: MD/VA/DC Players warning!

On that note, any possibility of a home game the weekend of Dec 17/18? I'll be in Northern VA.

frappeboy 11-21-2005 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking about holding up Carlos' game, but I figured it would probably be a lot easier just to sit for 1/2 an hour and take their money since they all seem to just try and give it away anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFLMAO

Jeffage 11-21-2005 03:39 PM

I'll be around...we should at least get a nice dinner somewhere if the rest of the stud crowd is interested.

Jeff

Jeffage 11-21-2005 03:40 PM

Another reminder of why I need to move to Atlantic City. Now.

Jeff

fnord_too 11-21-2005 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another reminder of why I need to move to Atlantic City. Now.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

So you can be mugged in the parking garrage instead...

Edit - I know, that's why you pay a vallet.

blumpkin22 11-21-2005 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll be around...we should at least get a nice dinner somewhere if the rest of the stud crowd is interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome.

beta1607 11-21-2005 10:33 PM

I am 100% in.

Michael Emery 11-21-2005 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm back from Florida now, I'd definitely be game.

Mike Emery

bholdr 11-21-2005 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
https://webserver.brandeis.edu/pub/S...tion/thief.jpg

Jeffage 11-21-2005 10:45 PM

Ok, we're going somewhere GOOD though. Bring some BB's. Any type of food people like? Or very specifically don't? I'll make the reservation when we get closer, know how many people and the exact day? That Sat?

Jeff

beta1607 11-21-2005 10:55 PM

Old Ebbitt has the great atmosphere, and you can do it for cheap or expensive depending on your tastes so it gets my vote.

EDIT: Anyone who comes to town must have also lunch at potbelly's at least once.

blumpkin22 11-21-2005 10:56 PM

I get in that Friday late, so it'd have to be Saturday for me.

So dinner for sure, definitely no poker? I'm psyched either way.

beta1607 11-21-2005 10:58 PM

If you move to AC it is going to make it much harder to take your money at Carlos' next home game.

Jeffage 11-21-2005 11:01 PM

I have a number of ideas. Old Ebbit poss...Red Sage, Corduroy, Ceiba, Filomena (G-Town). There are others and I'll think of them. None are too over the top.

Also, we can play poker too if Carlos is around (or someone besides me can host).

Jeff

beta1607 11-21-2005 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, we can play poker too if Carlos is around (or someone besides me can host).

[/ QUOTE ]

Way to pass the buck Jeffage. I am willing to host, but note I do not own poker chips or a table (any sort of table) so if someone had a foldy one then we could play at my place.

BeerMoney 11-21-2005 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm back from Florida now, I'd definitely be game.

Mike Emery

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike, this isn't an opportunity for you to meet guys. This is just some poker players taking their minds off of poker and having a good time.

PoorLawyer 11-22-2005 01:33 AM

i could be in for this. you named some of my favs

when are we talking about?

Jeffage 11-22-2005 01:38 AM

Saturday, Dec. 17, when Blumpkin (how do we not know this guy's first name BTW) is in town.

Jeff

mscags 11-22-2005 01:53 AM

Yeah well I'm gonna be in Springfield MO so anyone wants to get together and eat at some of Missouri's finest let me know [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

blumpkin22 11-22-2005 02:36 AM

Some of you guys (Roland, Beer) know my real name. It's Ethan.

Andy B 11-22-2005 02:51 AM

Arthur Bryant's it is. I understand I also need to try Stroud's some time.

jon_1van 11-22-2005 09:54 AM

Where exactly are we trying to meet?

In the city?

Suburbs?

I suggest steak. Because...why not

jon_1van 11-22-2005 09:55 AM

I can host. I live in greenbelt

Jeffage 11-22-2005 11:34 AM

But, "Blumpkin, please pass the bread" would be much funnier. Sigh.

Jeff

Jeffage 11-22-2005 11:35 AM

We might as well just go to the Taj at that point lol.

Jeff

blumpkin22 11-22-2005 09:08 PM

Yeah Greenbelt is pretty far, but are there any other options?

CarlosChadha 11-23-2005 01:57 AM

I'm going to be out of town visiting my bro for his graduation that weekend...It would be interesting to see if you guys can get a game going somewhere other than at my house:-)

jon_1van 11-23-2005 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to be out of town visiting my bro for his graduation that weekend...It would be interesting to see if you guys can get a game going somewhere other than at my house:-)

[/ QUOTE ]

GREENBELT!!

dandy_don 11-23-2005 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On that note, any possibility of a home game the weekend of Dec 17/18? I'll be in Northern VA.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has to be one of the most hijacked threads on the stud forum in a while--entertaining though.

BeerMoney 11-23-2005 04:50 PM

Recommendation: Mike Emery Sux.

These places are a lot of fun.. It says coming soon to DC, so, maybe open in a month.

Michael Emery 11-23-2005 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Recommendation: Mike Emery Sux.

These places are a lot of fun.. It says coming soon to DC, so, maybe open in a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that looks like my kinda place. I know your making the trip down here for this, Adam.

jon_1van 11-23-2005 05:13 PM

If not that how about this

:: Beermoney is tight-passive

punkass 11-26-2005 08:46 PM

mmmmm steak mmmmm

"Raise. Jeffage, pass the potatoes."
sounds good to me.

beta1607 11-26-2005 09:25 PM

Although RuthsChris is awesome,
I prefer this or this.

jon_1van 11-26-2005 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although RuthsChris is awesome,
I prefer this or this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never been to either. I did want to try the capital grille though.

beta1607 11-27-2005 03:15 AM

Cap Grill probably has the best steak in DC and Old Ebbitt has the best atmosphere. You need to go to both.

cognito20 11-27-2005 11:30 AM

From personal experience, some great ways to NOT get your home game jacked:

1) Only invite people you know or can vouch for personally, or that your brother or lifelong friends can vouch for personally.

2) Do NOT advertise game by any means other than word of mouth, and be -damn- careful who gets even the most cursory information (as much as possible anyway).

3) Lock all doors and windows. Make sure primary home security system (electronic one) is ON once the game starts.

4) Introduce all invited guests to secondary home security system (130-pound Doberman Trajan and 110-pound Doberman Hadrian). As extra touch, perhaps feed secondary home security system a little less for dinner that night to put them in semi-ornery mood.

5)Inform all guests to not be alarmed (the regular ones take it for granted anyway) that tertiary home security system (loaded Smith and Wesson 1911) will be within arm's reach of me at all times.

Overkill? Perhaps. But if some punk (or punks) tries to forcibly enter my home, where my wife and my little boy sleep, I will have NO compunction about having their throats torn out by the dogs, or putting a steel-jacketed, high-speed etiquette reminder or two directly between their eyes.

The word must have gotten out somehow. My game has never been bothered, once, in four years of playing weekly, for medium to high stakes.

My basic point is, if you're gonna play a home game, TAKE SECURITY PRECAUTIONS. There are too many desperate people out there looking for an easy buck and/or mark. Don't let yourself be that mark.

--Scott

jon_1van 11-27-2005 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From personal experience, some great ways to NOT get your home game jacked:

1) Only invite people you know or can vouch for personally, or that your brother or lifelong friends can vouch for personally.

2) Do NOT advertise game by any means other than word of mouth, and be -damn- careful who gets even the most cursory information (as much as possible anyway).

3) Lock all doors and windows. Make sure primary home security system (electronic one) is ON once the game starts.

4) Introduce all invited guests to secondary home security system (130-pound Doberman Trajan and 110-pound Doberman Hadrian). As extra touch, perhaps feed secondary home security system a little less for dinner that night to put them in semi-ornery mood.

5)Inform all guests to not be alarmed (the regular ones take it for granted anyway) that tertiary home security system (loaded Smith and Wesson 1911) will be within arm's reach of me at all times.

Overkill? Perhaps. But if some punk (or punks) tries to forcibly enter my home, where my wife and my little boy sleep, I will have NO compunction about having their throats torn out by the dogs, or putting a steel-jacketed, high-speed etiquette reminder or two directly between their eyes.

The word must have gotten out somehow. My game has never been bothered, once, in four years of playing weekly, for medium to high stakes.

My basic point is, if you're gonna play a home game, TAKE SECURITY PRECAUTIONS. There are too many desperate people out there looking for an easy buck and/or mark. Don't let yourself be that mark.

--Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of this is good advise. Some is not. For Instance, if you have a family, and you are hosting a game someone might want to rob at your house, this is probably bad in the first place.

But only playing with people you know, and not advertising is a good idea.