Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Best 3-Man Band Ever (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=382550)

4_2_it 11-21-2005 09:53 AM

Best 3-Man Band Ever

Since OOT loves to argue music I thought I would set-up a poll to decide once and for all the best 3-man band of all-time. If you vote other please fill us in.

diebitter 11-21-2005 09:55 AM

Re: Best 3-Man Band Ever

I hurt me to diss Motorhead, but Hendrix must be honoured.

imported_The Vibesman 11-21-2005 09:58 AM

Green Day is on this poll, and Double Trouble isn't.

whiskeytown 11-21-2005 10:05 AM

Holy Crap.....What about The Police?

You have committed a grevious and cardinal error in your poll.

You left off "The Police"

Greatest 3 man band ever - individually and creatively all three just kicked ultimate ass on their instruments and nothing could match Sting when he was young and pissed.

Can't believe a poll with 3 man bands would even consider leaving the Police off.

4_2_it 11-21-2005 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Green Day is on this poll, and Double Trouble isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

All apologies to Stevie Ray who should have been on the list. (Pssst --- I put Green Day on the poll to weed out anyone under 22)

Vavavoom 11-21-2005 10:07 AM

Ahem,

Where are BUSTED ?? <font color="white"> Thats a joke BTW ! </font>

4_2_it 11-21-2005 10:09 AM

Re: Holy Crap.....What about The Police?

[ QUOTE ]
You have committed a grevious and cardinal error in your poll.

You left off "The Police"

Greatest 3 man band ever - individually and creatively all three just kicked ultimate ass on their instruments and nothing could match Sting when he was young and pissed.

Can't believe a poll with 3 man bands would even consider leaving the Police off.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Police was a tough call ( I was listening to their box set last night), but I am still pissed off about Synchronicity and the Don't Stand So Close '84 butchered remix.

whiskeytown 11-21-2005 10:11 AM

You should listen to the Live double CD they did of two concerts - one in 79 and one in 82.

You'd have to be a musician to understand...if someone wants to play a police song everyone in the band winces, cause all the parts are so tough.

Live they were able to fill out the sound with no issue except for some backup singers - it's the fullest three piece sound I ever heard....

Really shoulda put them on the list - even that last album was good...the remix alone doesn't justify the suckage -

hurry go back and edit the poll

RB

elwoodblues 11-21-2005 10:14 AM

The Police was my first response before looking at the list.

4_2_it 11-21-2005 10:17 AM

Argh, you cannot edit the a poll? Only the text!!! Oh well, all apologies to Police fans, just start a write-in candidacy. I will count up votes for the Police.

samjjones 11-21-2005 10:31 AM

The Beatles minus a drummer.

diebitter 11-21-2005 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So the Beatles then [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

4_2_it 11-21-2005 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or Van Halen minus a singer?

diebitter 11-21-2005 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Smiths minus a singer?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Fishwhenican 11-21-2005 11:00 AM

Out of the bands on this list it's RUSH hands down.
If The Police were on here it would be a tough call but I would still lean towards RUSH simply because they have stayed together as a band and they just plain and simple kick ass.

I saw RUSH live, back in the day, and they were simply off the planet good. Never had the pleasure of seeing The Police live but I would bet they were knock down drag out good as well.

2planka 11-21-2005 11:03 AM

The Police

pokerjoker 11-21-2005 11:37 AM

The fact that nirvana is coming in 1st really shows the avg age of posters here.

Mason Hellmuth 11-21-2005 11:39 AM

'80s Floyd man!!

<font color="white">Totally kidding. Obviously it's Rush.</font>

Soul Daddy 11-21-2005 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Smiths minus a singer?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

mason55 11-21-2005 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that nirvana is coming in 1st really shows the avg age of posters here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nirvana was really not very good [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

4_2_it 11-21-2005 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Nirvana is a unique case. Their drummer, who everyone thought was a schlep turned out to be a better song writer/composer than Cobain. I never got into them when they were hot, but have rediscovered them once I realized how much I like Foo Fighters. (I did not vote for them BTW)

I think the problem I have with Rush (awesome live) is that they have more average to bad albums than good/solid ones. They definitely win the longevity award.

zephed 11-21-2005 11:52 AM

Ahahahahahah! Nirvana?

bwana devil 11-21-2005 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nirvana was really not very good [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

not very good? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] ill give you that they were overrated only because any band that was that popular must surely be overrated. i dont know how anyone can say they werent "very good" though.

btw i think they were freakin great. listening to them now.

Soul Daddy 11-21-2005 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Their drummer, who everyone thought was a schlep turned out to be a better song writer/composer than Cobain.

[/ QUOTE ]
I apparently like Nirvana more than most people on this board, but c'mon.

crunchy1 11-21-2005 12:17 PM

Chick Corea's Akoustic Band

4_2_it 11-21-2005 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Their drummer, who everyone thought was a schlep turned out to be a better song writer/composer than Cobain.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you listened to Foo Fighters? I am shocked that Grohl managed to stay on the drums. Since Cobain doesn't have a large catalogue it is hard to argue who is the better song writer, but I think its is much closer than Cobain worshippers would care to admit.

Soul Daddy 11-21-2005 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you listened to Foo Fighters? I am shocked that Grohl managed to stay on the drums. Since Cobain doesn't have a large catalogue it is hard to argue who is the better song writer, but I think its is much closer than Cobain worshippers would care to admit.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've listened to Foo Fighters enough to know that Groehl does nothing for me. I'm hardly a Cobain worshipper.

RunDownHouse 11-21-2005 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would still lean towards RUSH simply because they have stayed together as a band

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, let's penalize Jimi for dying. Rush isn't even in the top three here. The Jimi Hendrix Experience takes #1 for me.

nicky g 11-21-2005 12:36 PM

"Their drummer, who everyone thought was a schlep turned out to be a better song writer/composer than Cobain."

You are smoking some serious crack.

The answer is Nirvana by a very very long way. Another three man band I liked a lot were Morphine, whose frontman is also dead.

Georgia Avenue 11-21-2005 12:37 PM

On the list its nirvana (Xclose)

Other: The Gories, and I'm not just sucking up.

It might also be: minutemen, grand funk railroad, john spenser blues explosion, or beat happening.

ChipWrecked 11-21-2005 12:37 PM

ZZTop

dibbs 11-21-2005 12:37 PM

Corea does indeed rock.

MonkeeMan 11-21-2005 12:44 PM

http://www.onkeykaraoke.com/images/d...ixieChicks.jpg

4_2_it 11-21-2005 12:53 PM

I almost put Minutemen on the list, but I doubt more than 3 of us heard them in their prime. Other obscure ones I liked are Dinosaur Jr, Triumph and Raven.

imported_anacardo 11-21-2005 12:53 PM

From this list, it's Jimi Hendrix Experience, followed by Nirvana, then Cream. Green Day has made a really strong push with their last two albums to end up just shy of this group. I'm not really qualified to judge the artistic value of metal outfits. I hate RUSH. I love early Police. [censored] you, Sting.

MonkeeMan 11-21-2005 01:23 PM

Having seen both Hendrix and Cream, I rate them dead even. Hendrix individually was the best ever, but Cream ties it up because all three members were awesome. Of course we're talking 36(?) years and tons of drugs ago.

razor 11-21-2005 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since OOT loves to argue music I thought I would set-up a poll to decide once and for all the best 3-man band of all-time. If you vote other please fill us in.

[/ QUOTE ]

why are you making a distinction between 3-person bands and 4-person bands where the lead singer doesn't play an instrument. We are basically talking about 3 piece band + singer. Making a distinction between bands that have someone sing and play an instrument and bands where everyone only does one thing seems meaningless to me.

brettbrettr 11-21-2005 01:44 PM

OMG how is The Police not on this list?

11-21-2005 01:51 PM

who the [censored] voted for nirvana over rush or hendrix ?

swede123 11-21-2005 01:59 PM

While personally not a huge fan I'd think Rush should get the nod of the choices given. Nirvana winning this is akin to Christmas Vacation winning the "best Xmas movie" poll. It really shouldn't happen but it does anyway since this is OOT.

Swede