Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Matt Hilger's WSOP proposal (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=381188)

Easy E 11-18-2005 06:54 PM

Matt Hilger\'s WSOP proposal

From the recent Card Player article about fixing the ME:

<font color="blue">The two arguments focus on things being either one way or the other — but how about both? How about starting off the entire WSOP with a $100,000 buy-in tournament? This tournament could be called something like the WSOP Professional Championship. The $10,000 main event would remain as is, to be played at the end of the Series. This tournament still would remain the dream for the everyday player.

The top players would be happy, as they now would have a prestigious tournament to play that would crown their champion. This tournament would match the best in the world against each other. Harrah’s would be happy, as this would require little additional resources but would add a lot of recognition to the WSOP brand. ESPN would be happy, as the final table of the $100,000 event surely would be a “Who’s Who” in the poker world. With 100-200 entrants, first-place prize money would be somewhere between $3 million and $6 million, making this a lucrative tournament for everyone involved.</font>

Would 100-200 pros put up six figures to play one another?

augie00 11-18-2005 06:58 PM

Re: Matt Hilger\'s WSOP proposal

[ QUOTE ]
Would 100-200 pros put up six figures to play one another?

[/ QUOTE ]

Doubtful. I think this tournament would draw a field of about 4. But I might be wrong.

Talk about deep stacks! "Alright dealers, we're in the first level, 25-50 blinds, $100,000 in starting chips. Shuffle up and deal!"

Bartman387 11-18-2005 07:02 PM

Isn't this already being done? I remember hearing something about a tourney that is supposed to take place at the Stratosphere and the buy-in will be $100,000

When will people stop trying to "fix" the main event?

11-18-2005 07:08 PM

I don't buy that pros wouldn't play one another for that high of a cost because as it is now they are whining for a higher buy in event to limit the number of donkeys. Then they don't want to play against all the sharks? They need to just shut up and play!

Kaeser 11-18-2005 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The top players would be happy, as they now would have a prestigious tournament to play that would crown their champion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are there really that many top pro's complaining about the ME? Also what would prevent the average player from forking over the cash or getting in via satellite?

Jooka 11-18-2005 07:48 PM

only complaints from 'pros' I saw from this years WSOP was those that didnt go anywhere near a final table much less a day 2. What I did see was plenty of pros at final tables, close to final tables and if I recall correctly quite a few actually *gasp* won an event.

Ulysses 11-18-2005 07:52 PM

I think this would be great. Many pros would play. And many online sites could do things like have $1k-10k buyin satellites (and smaller supersatellites), which a certain select group of players (which is a relatively sizeable group) would definitely play.

Kevmath 11-18-2005 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't this already being done? I remember hearing something about a tourney that is supposed to take place at the Stratosphere and the buy-in will be $100,000

When will people stop trying to "fix" the main event?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shortly after the "Heavyweight Championship of Poker" (the 100k event) was announced, it got moved to Sam's Town. There's also the "Quest of Champions", a $250k buyin event. Only time will tell if either event comes off.

Marlow 11-18-2005 08:34 PM

I, for one, am quite sick of hearing pros whine about inferior players in the tourneys. Because if they can't adapt, then they should die. Circle of life and all that.

But this seems like a good thing to me. Get these people to shut up, and also put some very good looking poker on display for all the world to marvel at.

SoftcoreRevolt 11-18-2005 09:03 PM

But how can they beat someone who plays so badly!

AceHigh 11-19-2005 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I, for one, am quite sick of hearing pros whine about inferior players in the tourneys. Because if they can't adapt, then they should die.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are. Hence the whining (not winning). Pro's whine when they are losing.

Fallen Hero 11-19-2005 06:35 AM

If there is a different tournament crowning the world champion then obviously the main event will lose popularity...because it won't be the main event anymore.

Mason Malmuth 11-19-2005 06:56 AM

Hi Easy:

I think the idea has merit except that $100,000 in my opinion is too high. I don't believe that many of the better known pros are this well financed. Perhaps $25,000 is a better figure.

Best wishes,
Mason

MarkL444 11-19-2005 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Easy:

I think the idea has merit except that $100,000 in my opinion is too high. I don't believe that many of the better known pros are this well financed. Perhaps $25,000 is a better figure.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

wouldnt this just greatly reduce the entrants into the 10k main event and have everyone trying to qualify for this? there would still be way too many people. i like a plan of just increasing the buy-in for the main event to maybe 30-50k.

Rianna 11-19-2005 09:02 AM

If it ain't broken, please don't try and fix it.

It's a truly awesome event IMHO, I think regardless of it's current size, it's rivetting and obviously attractive and, bottom line, good for poker.

Some of us have waited a long time for this incredable event. Please don't wreck it.

just my opinion

lozen 11-19-2005 12:57 PM

I just finished watching the final two episodes.
Change it no way I loved it Lots of charachters.

WHY FIX WHAT AINT BROKE

11-19-2005 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Easy:

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Mason, don't you think they'd be able to find backers? Hell, I'd take a piece of some of the bigger names.

Instead of raising the money, maybe they could create an invitation-only tournament of a few hundred pros. I'd worry that a $100K price tag might overshadow the ME, which I think should remain the crown jewel. This would require the establishment of a selection committee, but would also keep the field exclusively professional, as opposed to littered with rich fish.

ggbman 11-19-2005 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this would be great. Many pros would play. And many online sites could do things like have $1k-10k buyin satellites (and smaller supersatellites), which a certain select group of players (which is a relatively sizeable group) would definitely play.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, this would be an intregal part of the the potential sucess that a tourney like this might have.

CD56 11-19-2005 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The top players would be happy, as they now would have a prestigious tournament to play that would crown their champion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are there really that many top pro's complaining about the ME? Also what would prevent the average player from forking over the cash...

[/ QUOTE ]

probably the fact that it is now 100K rather than 10K

satellites would be much longer too...

tonypaladino 11-19-2005 09:40 PM

I really don't see why raising the main even to something like $20k or $25k is a big deal. It's been $10,000 since the 70's and $10k in 1970 dollars is like $50k in 2005 dollars.

Jimbo 11-19-2005 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't see why raising the main even to something like $20k or $25k is a big deal. It's been $10,000 since the 70's and $10k in 1970 dollars is like $50k in 2005 dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

People keep using 50 grand, it would be $40,000 in 1970 dollars today. However that does not make a valid case for raising the ME entry fee to 40 grand. Are you paying $2.47 for a dozen eggs today?

Jimbo

Matt Williams 11-19-2005 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are there really that many top pro's complaining about the ME? Also what would prevent the average player from forking over the cash...

[/ QUOTE ]

probably the fact that it is now 100K rather than 10K

satellites would be much longer too...

[/ QUOTE ]

If they are going to have a buy-in over $25K, I would like to see NO satellites at all. It's PUSU time, cough up the dough or go home.

SoftcoreRevolt 11-19-2005 11:34 PM

Why? You do realize even pros play in sats. Oh dear god think of the prestige, we can't lose prestige!

schwza 11-20-2005 01:00 AM

they could at least adjust the 10k for inflation. 10k in 1978 is 29.8k in 2005. cpi

Jimbo 11-20-2005 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
they could at least adjust the 10k for inflation. 10k in 1978 is 29.8k in 2005. cpi

[/ QUOTE ]

I already posted one reason why this is unreasonable. Another is because the payout is so much higher. Do you want to go back to the 30K first place prize money like in 1970 as well? Perhaps we should all vote to determine the winner too, just to keep it authentic.

Jimbo

Shoe 11-20-2005 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The last thing we need is another tourney like the WPT final. Long live the WSOP!!!

Rick Nebiolo 11-20-2005 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you paying $2.47 for a dozen eggs today?

[/ QUOTE ]

???? I usually pay around $1.99 but I get extra large ones.

~ Rick

Tyler Durden 11-20-2005 08:37 PM

I doubt this idea will work for the pros, even if it were $50K. Not enough dead money to make it worthwhile.

JooWish622 11-21-2005 12:05 AM

i think this is a good idea except that having a higher buy-in tournament clearly lessens the magnitude of the 10k event. I am not sure how lessening the main event in importance would affect its tv ratings, publicity, fan support, etc.

tylerdurden 11-21-2005 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If they are going to have a buy-in over $25K, I would like to see NO satellites at all. It's PUSU time, cough up the dough or go home.

[/ QUOTE ]

How are you going to eliminate satelites?

mlagoo 11-21-2005 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt this idea will work for the pros, even if it were $50K. Not enough dead money to make it worthwhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think this necessarily the case, since the one constant among most poker pros is that they all think they are one of the best players in the world. especially the pros that would have $50-100k to buy into a single tourney.

not to mention that satellites would add dead money.

the only downside would be, as someone said a couple posts up, i think this would cheapen the significance of the main event.

Guthrie 11-21-2005 01:13 AM

The simple solution to the bloated main event is to raise the entry fee to $50K, $100K, whatever. Then have regional qualifiers, in Las Vegas, Tunica, Atlantic City, Paris, wherever. The satellites feed the qualifiers, the qualifiers feed the main event. If anybody wants to buy a seat directly into the main event for cash, let them. If online sites want to run satellites direct to the main event, let them. You'll still have a lot of players in Las Vegas for the main event, and you'll have a gigantic purse. You'll also have a much larger TV audience. They don't go directly from the regular season to the Super Bowl.

ghostface 11-21-2005 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
rich fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why its fun to watch on TV.

fnurt 11-21-2005 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You cannot stop me and my 24 friends from putting up $1000 apiece and having a satellite. By the same logic, you cannot prevent online sites from offering a satellite to your tournament. Nor can you prevent people from soliciting backers, etc.

Theoretically, the house could refrain from running "official" satellites but considering (1) the satellites increase the number of entries, thus making the house more money, and (2) the satellites themselves are raked, it's hard to imagine the sponsor that would shoot itself in the foot by trying this.

MonkeeMan 11-21-2005 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You'll also have a much larger TV audience.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the only thing I disagree with in your post. IMO, the two things that would greatly increase TV would be if it was telecast live and on a non-cable channel. Large purses and playoff-like structure would give a small bump, but not that much.

11-21-2005 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, the two things that would greatly increase TV would be if it was telecast live and on a non-cable channel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree. This year's final table took nearly 14 hours. And a lot of those hands consisted of everyone folding to a pre-flop raiser. That would not attract new players.

Jimbo 11-22-2005 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The simple solution to the bloated main event....

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no problem, hence no required solution.