Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   South Park blasting Scientology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=380164)

MisterNatural 11-17-2005 05:24 AM

South Park blasting Scientology

Anyone see it? You never hear showbiz folks blasting Scientology. I hear people are really scared to do it if they want to have a career in the biz. Growing up there was a guy who came to stay at our house for a weekend. Supposedly he was on the boat with L. Ron when Mr. Hubbard was trying to avoid prosecution for tax evasion. The guy had become disillusioned with Scientology and was hiding from them. My former work place somehow got involved with the branch of Scientology that attempts to reach addicts and criminals. I sat through a week of their training. It was really vanilla, non-dogma stuff. It was a bad match because most people at my work have master's degrees. We all thought it was really simple, basic ideas that they had translated into their own language. It was just ideas that might be interesting if you'd never heard them before, but you could tell it was aimed to hook the uneducated and make it seem like they were ideas orignated with Scientology. Needless to say, I'm facinated with secret societies and organizations that keep a tight lid on things. Anyone else?

edfurlong 11-17-2005 05:29 AM

Re: South Park blasting Scientology

I was shocked when I logged in that there wasn't a post about this. I loved that they called out pee on your head boy.

The end was by far the best part but I'm not sure if it would make me a douche bag to post about it. South park spoilers don't seem like something to sweat about, but whatever.

J.R. 11-17-2005 05:58 AM

dad, tom cruise won't come out of the closet

11-17-2005 06:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You never hear showbiz folks blasting Scientology.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure Trey Parker and Matt Stone aren't that concerned with... well, anybody getting on their ass. As many different people/organizations they've gone off on.

Very funny episode tonight.

edfurlong 11-17-2005 06:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You never hear showbiz folks blasting Scientology.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure Trey Parker and Matt Stone aren't that concerned with... well, anybody getting on their ass. As many different people/organizations they've gone off on.

Very funny episode tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of those orginizations don't dump it all back into lawuits against people that publish a tenth of what was on South Park tonight.

MisterNatural 11-17-2005 06:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dad, tom cruise won't come out of the closet

[/ QUOTE ]

I told one of my co-workers about the rumours that Tom Cruise was gay and she got really disturbed repeatedly saying that she'd never heard this. I kept pushing it and she didn't even want to know it was a rumour. LoL!

If anyone is interested in Scientology, go to thepiratebay.org and go a search for "scientology". There are some bit torrents that I think the church would not be happy about. The same guy keeps putting up a lot of secret society stuff about the Masons (not Malmuth) and the Illuminati, etc. Fun stuff!

MisterNatural 11-17-2005 07:19 AM

The stuff they've gotten away with because they say it through a cartoon amazes and delights me. Mean spirited or not, I think some of the episodes are groundbreaking and ultimately raise global consciouness while being hillarious at the same time. I don't know how powerful Scientology is in the industry, but I know someone who wanted to make a documentary exposing Scientology. She was advised by a couple of very famous stars who are fairly outspoken political activists not to do it if she wanted to continue to have a career. So, kudos to Comedy Central and South Park advertisers for supporting this show. (yeah, I said kudos, just this once)

benjdm 11-17-2005 07:45 AM

Or check out clambake.org - 'Undressing the Church of Scientology Since 1996'

Conspir8or 11-17-2005 08:12 AM

"The Simpsons" had a Scientology spoof several years ago when the show was still funny. The Leader of the cult, the Movementarians, even bore a resemblance to L. Ron Hubbard. What made the episode even funnier is that Nancy Cartwright, the voice of Bart, Milhouse, Nelson, etc., is a Scientologist.

So as they might say in "South Park," "'Simpsons' did it!" Though certainly not as TVMA, I admit!

mackthefork 11-17-2005 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The stuff they've gotten away with because they say it through a cartoon amazes and delights me. Mean spirited or not, I think some of the episodes are groundbreaking and ultimately raise global consciouness while being hillarious at the same time. I don't know how powerful Scientology is in the industry, but I know someone who wanted to make a documentary exposing Scientology. She was advised by a couple of very famous stars who are fairly outspoken political activists not to do it if she wanted to continue to have a career. So, kudos to Comedy Central and South Park advertisers for supporting this show. (yeah, I said kudos, just this once)

[/ QUOTE ]

I've not seen this one yet, the mel Gibson one and the Wal Mart one are my two personal favourites.

Mack

samjjones 11-17-2005 10:15 AM

Well, when you think about it, Scientology being based on the Galactic Warlord Xenu isn't much more absurd than Christianity being based on the son of an invisible God.

Los Feliz Slim 11-17-2005 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, when you think about it, Scientology being based on the Galactic Warlord Xenu isn't much more absurd than Christianity being based on the son of an invisible God.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not forget about Mormonism when we're talking about ridiculous religious beliefs!

The Scientology headquarters is near my house, as is the Scientology High School. They've got these big blue dorms people live in. Pretty spooky.

samjjones 11-17-2005 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not forget about Mormonism when we're talking about ridiculous religious beliefs!

The Scientology headquarters is near my house, as is the Scientology High School. They've got these big blue dorms people live in. Pretty spooky.

[/ QUOTE ]
The South Park Momon episode was fantastic as well.

"Dum-dum-dum-dum-dum"

jesusarenque 11-17-2005 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

CrazyEyez 11-17-2005 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think Scentology is more ridiculous. Or maybe Hubbard was just more lazy. Submitted for your approval:

[ QUOTE ]
75 million years ago, Xenu was the ruler of a Galactic Confederacy...The Galactic Confederacy's civilization was comparable to our own, with people "walking around in clothes which looked very remarkably like the clothes they wear this very minute" and using cars, trains and boats looking exactly the same as those "circa 1950, 1960" on Earth...The space planes were exact copies of Douglas DC-8s, "except the DC-8 had fans, propellers on it and the space plane didn't." DC-8s have jet engines, not propellers, although Hubbard may have meant the turbine fans...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...pace_plane.jpg
artist's rendition per Hubbard's description

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you kidding me? You're going to invent this 75 million year-old story and that's the best you can do? "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. It was 75 million years ago. Everything pretty much looked the way it looks today."

TomCollins 11-17-2005 12:23 PM

Good thing its got wings! Bernouli (sp?) principle works well in a vaccuum.

11-17-2005 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good thing its got wings! Bernouli (sp?) principle works well in a vaccuum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont be silly, the ruler of a galatic confederacy doesnt have to follow the laws of physics. dum-dum-dum-dum-dum

irishpint 11-17-2005 12:34 PM

the best ppart of this episode was r kelly. have you guys seen his 6 part r&b opera called 'out of the closest'? he sings just like that and they basically summarize the whole thing. it airs on MTV2 from time to time, or try to download it.

samjjones 11-17-2005 12:46 PM

And in other news, Tom Cruise is a repressed homosexual.

Dominic 11-17-2005 12:55 PM

someone PLEASE tell me the ending - my TiVo cut it off at the last minute.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

And by the way, no one in Hollywood is "afraid" of dissing Scientology. They do it all the time. Of cdourse, it wouldn't be smart to do so if you plan on working with Cruise or Travolta.

Dominic 11-17-2005 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Whatever fantasy you want to believe in, go right ahead. I choose Santa Claus because he brings me presents.

trotski 11-17-2005 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap, they have Scientology High Schools? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Imagine the possibilies if Joseph and L.Ron could have written stories together! It could have been a sort of Firefly religion: 75 million years of Space Warlords with a Western America persecution theme.

samjjones 11-17-2005 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I agree. Whatever fantasy you want to believe in, go right ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]
If everybody in the world was as smart as OOTiots, the world would be a so much better place.

11-17-2005 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the best ppart of this episode was r kelly. have you guys seen his 6 part r&b opera called 'out of the closest'? he sings just like that and they basically summarize the whole thing. it airs on MTV2 from time to time, or try to download it.

[/ QUOTE ]

this was the best for me too.... "and then i pull out my gunnnnnn"

imported_CaseClosed326 11-17-2005 02:01 PM

Dude, just Tivo it again this week. It will be on 5 times a day. It's pretty funny at the end.

Dominic 11-17-2005 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, just Tivo it again this week. It will be on 5 times a day. It's pretty funny at the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bastard. TELL ME!!!!

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

astroglide 11-17-2005 02:14 PM

how could being told about it on a forum be 5% as funny as watching?

BoogerFace 11-17-2005 02:21 PM

Oh my god, they killed Kenny! You bastards!

In all seriousness, the ending was meh. I think I fell asleep.

Edit: it might help if you told us where Tivo left off.

edtost 11-17-2005 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

have you really never visited TWoP?

Dominic 11-17-2005 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because I want to know nowwwwwwwww.

My TiVo cut off right after the Scientologists threatened to sue Stan for defamation.

kipin 11-17-2005 03:40 PM

Torrent for the show for all you lazy folk.

P.S. This episode ruled. The R.Kelly bit makes me wonder how long from conception of the ideas to production it actually takes them to churn out an episode.

The R.Kelly trapped in a closet music video isn't all that old is it?

astroglide 11-17-2005 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
have you really never visited TWoP?

[/ QUOTE ]

not once. i had never heard of it because i don't seek out such things.

TheTROLL 11-17-2005 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My TiVo cut off right after the Scientologists threatened to sue Stan for defamation.

[/ QUOTE ]

You only missed seconds of it then. Lots, lots more Scientologists shout about suing him. "You are soooo sued" etc etc. And finally the news announcer appears and says all three of the celebs have come out of the closet. Bit of a weak ending.

daryn 11-17-2005 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If everybody in the world was as smart as OOTiots, the world would be a so much better place.

[/ QUOTE ]

i find myself disagreeing with this

moondogg 11-17-2005 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You only missed seconds of it then. Lots, lots more Scientologists shout about suing him. "You are soooo sued" etc etc. And finally the news announcer appears and says all three of the celebs have come out of the closet. Bit of a weak ending.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wikipedia is the [censored].

tonypaladino 11-17-2005 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In the end credits every name was replaced with "John Smith"

samjjones 11-17-2005 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i find myself disagreeing with this

[/ QUOTE ]
As always, you are correct. I should have used the qualifier "in matters requiring the reconciliation of religious/sociological concerns". My bad.

kipin 11-17-2005 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jane Smith as well.

Does this tie into some Scientology belief?

tonypaladino 11-17-2005 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jane Smith as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a joke about how Scientoligists sue anyone who makes fun of them

imported_The Vibesman 11-17-2005 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Jane Smith as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably has more to do with what the others were saying, about badmouthing Scientology being bad for a Hollywood career.

I missed this, but I will catch it on reruns. Sounds awesome. This is why SP continues to be great.