Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   respondents to questions (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=379338)

11-16-2005 12:54 AM

respondents to questions

is there some way to determine what the skill level and profitability is of folks answering these posts? obviously, a response from a player making a substantial living at the game is going to bear greater weight than say, mine.

MrWookie47 11-16-2005 12:57 AM

Re: respondents to questions

This is exceedingly poor thinking. If an answer is right, it's right for its own merit, not because a veteran pro said it. Veterans make mistakes all the time. Weigh each answer critically rather than mindless trusting those of the "pros."

numeri 11-16-2005 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is exceedingly poor thinking. If an answer is right, it's right for its own merit, not because a veteran pro said it. Veterans make mistakes all the time. Weigh each answer critically rather than mindless trusting those of the "pros."

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. While it's encouraging when an "experienced" poster gives advice, it's best to look at each post on it's own merits. If you read and spend enough time here, you'll learn whose posts have more content than others.

For instance, those who've been here for a while know to ignore everything I write. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

benkath1 11-16-2005 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For instance, those who've been here for a while know to ignore everything I write.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is absurd.

11-16-2005 01:13 AM

to mister wookie:

excuse me, it is anything BUT poor reasoning. if i am in ignorance, my ignorance includes an ignorance to what is "right". it is precisely because i am ignorant of what is "right", that i ask, who can i identify as capable of replying in a "right" fashion. i can cite multiple instances of hand evaluations that seem "correct" to me, but are also obviously antinomies. who of the authors of these conflicting interpretations is "right"?

and please donot reply with that commoness, it's all relative, or, they both are.

your comment was exceedingly poor reasoning, and exceedingly arrogant as well.

irishpint 11-16-2005 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is there some way to determine what the skill level and profitability is of folks answering these posts? obviously, a response from a player making a substantial living at the game is going to bear greater weight than say, mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

very rarely is there one correct answer, which is what makes poker so interesting. it's not about who is right or wrong, it's about stating possible ways to play a hand, discussing them, and determining which you think is best and why. the key is the why. before you get caught up in just following one posters advice i'd read all the responses (after posting yours) and see if you can figure out why that might be a good/bad/better/worse play than what you/others suggested. learndeding is fun!

Redd 11-16-2005 01:19 AM

It's great to say that every post has merit (because it does), but there are posters here who's opinions I tend to respect more because of their past performance. It was helpful for me as a newer player to get an understanding of which regulars actually knew what they were talking about because unfortunately a bad hand analysis with a few buzzwords can sound very much like a good one. Especially to a newer poster.

In short, everyone definitely has value to add, but it's good to know who are the regulars are to at least be able to read their contributions. I just got a feel for it by reading the forum. To get you started, everyone who's replied to the OP so far here falls on my list.

NateDog 11-16-2005 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
to mister wookie:

excuse me, it is anything BUT poor reasoning. if i am in ignorance, my ignorance includes an ignorance to what is "right". it is precisely because i am ignorant of what is "right", that i ask, who can i identify as capable of replying in a "right" fashion. i can cite multiple instances of hand evaluations that seem "correct" to me, but are also obviously antinomies. who of the authors of these conflicting interpretations is "right"?

and please donot reply with that commoness, it's all relative, or, they both are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wowie, sensitive huh?

Wook's answer was correct. It doesn't matter who gives the correct answer, as long as it is the correct answer, get it?

And I'm always a lagtard, so don't play like me. Numeri's right alot, and that pisses me off.

numeri 11-16-2005 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Try to reply to the poster you'd like to reference. I almost wrote a scathing reply before I realized you weren't talking to me! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I think what the wookie is trying to say is that there really is no way to determine who is a better player. When I first started, I looked at the number of posts and kind of instinctively trusted those with more posts. Now, after I've been here for a while, I see new people posting really bad advice with like 1,000,000 posts! (OK, so I'm exaggerating, but you get the point.)

Everyone here (well, almost everyone) has something to offer. It's just a discussion forum. No one here is a master. If so, we wouldn't be playing in micro-limits. Even the experienced players who play 5/10 or 10/20 and drop in from time to time aren't perfect players.

Try not to get offended too easily on these boards. I wish I could give you a better answer and say "Hey, trust x, y, and z." But I can't.

Start participating, and you'll form your own opinions soon enough.

numeri 11-16-2005 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And I'm always a lagtard, so don't play like me. Numeri's right alot, and that pisses me off.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I guess if I could give one piece of advice, it'd be this: Ignore Nate's posts like the plague. Save yourself!

bottomset 11-16-2005 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's great to say that every post has merit (because it does), but there are posters here who's opinions I tend to respect more because of their past performance

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly my game wouldn't be anywhere near where it is now if it wasn't for guys like

Shillx
Entity
btspider
Jaran
deathdonkey
Grunchcan
and a ton others

11-16-2005 01:25 AM

i have a better idea:

dont answer the question if you believe it a ridiculous question.

i guess i am a little tired of a-hole poker players, thank you very much. you can call that sensitivity if you wish.

now, to the other possible respondents to this question, any idea how to seperate the wheat from the chaff, if you know neither what wheat is, nor what chaff is? thanks.

benkath1 11-16-2005 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
to mister wookie:

[/ QUOTE ]

One good thing to have in this forum, as well as all the forums on 2+2 is thick skin. Before you're so ctitical of others, try responding to some hands and see how your advice stacks up.

If you're not here to get better and learn more about LHE.....go away!

Aaron_ 11-16-2005 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
to mister wookie:

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to take offence - Wookie's a good guy.

What your post hinted at is something that ought to be discouraged in poker: rule bound play. A poor poker player is not ignorant to what is right or wrong, but why it's right or wrong. Unfortunately, many people treat these boards as a Q&A forum, and not a discussion forum. But you'll never learn this game one hand at a time.

NateDog 11-16-2005 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I guess if I could give one piece of advice, it'd be this: Ignore Nate's posts like the plague. Save yourself!

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't have said it better myself. Oh, and b-set is right quite a bit too, and that pisses me off as well.

bottomset 11-16-2005 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and b-set is right quite a bit too, and that pisses me off as well

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

shant 11-16-2005 01:36 AM

Whoever has the most posts is the best at poker.

pistol78 11-16-2005 01:36 AM

Do you get your oil change done by the dealer for $160.00?

NateDog 11-16-2005 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually when I sit in one of your 2+2 games, and I bluff 3 bet your turn c/r, and you cap it cause you are right, that I'm full of [censored]. Yeah, that pisses me off. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

BTW I might need a sweat later this week, you gonna be around? My game really sucks right now.

jaxUp 11-16-2005 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's great to say that every post has merit (because it does), but there are posters here who's opinions I tend to respect more because of their past performance

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly my game wouldn't be anywhere near where it is now if it wasn't for guys like

Shillx
Entity
btspider
Jaran
deathdonkey
Grunchcan
and a ton others

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, these are so old school. This who taught us to play.

Seriosuly though. Just read the posts and evaluate the logic. If you're not sure, post your thoughts/questions. If something is blatantly wrong, somebody knowlegeable will correct it. I won't single out the current good posters. You'll figure out who they are soon enough, and everybody has merit

bottomset 11-16-2005 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yep I always trust Jakethebake's advice

numeri 11-16-2005 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the Dog is just in a pissy mood tonight.

shant 11-16-2005 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yep I always trust Jakethebake's advice

[/ QUOTE ]
nh

jaxUp 11-16-2005 01:45 AM

is your name pronounced "shawnt" or does it rhyme with rant?

11-16-2005 01:51 AM

dear idiots thus far not answering my question:

if i gots me twenty folks, 6 of whom make money painting cars, and 14 of whom have no idea of paint: says i ask them there who knows not paint what paint is, and how it is applied to an auto, and they make a perfectly feasible reply, with your fingers.

then i ask of them that maketh some sum of living wage, verily brother, wherefore paintest thou? and yea, they spake truly, and show me an atomizer, and it's proper use.

now, being in ignorance of paint, atomizers, and its application, i may decide that the eloquence of finger painter idiot is more appealing than the jargon of himwhopaintethforbreadeth. it followeth, therefore, some indication of the knowledge of him who speaketh is required to formeth my owneth opinioneth. amen.

therefore, in the interests of learning who are winning players, so that their perceptions can be weighed and balanced, and taken with respect, yea, unto my bosom, i did ask my woebegone question.

when and if it becomes an issue for me, that i cannot tell the rule from the instance, or cannot distinguish my right hand from my left, or any other like quotidian philosophical issue, i will post a question begging the knowledge thereof.

so again, let me iterate: is there a way to determine who is making the bread?; for i swear, i wish to paint my car, and live with the consequences, yea, mightily.

shant 11-16-2005 01:52 AM

Rhymes with flaunt and croissant.

bottomset 11-16-2005 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dear idiots thus far not answering my question

[/ QUOTE ]

you're welcome

hey wookie, can you rename this to Bottomset's Un-Official NC Thread??

k thanks

numeri 11-16-2005 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
dear idiots thus far not answering my question

[/ QUOTE ]

your welcome

hey wookie, can you rename this to Bottomset's Un-Official NC Thread??

k thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds good to me.

detruncate 11-16-2005 01:57 AM

Sorry for not living up to your expectations. You are clearly a valuable addition to the forum. We'll try to do better for you in the future.

Aaron_ 11-16-2005 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

if i gots me twenty folks, 6 of whom make money painting cars, and 14 of whom have no idea of paint: says i ask them there who knows not paint what paint is, and how it is applied to an auto, and they make a perfectly feasible reply, with your fingers.

then i ask of them that maketh some sum of living wage, verily brother, wherefore paintest thou? and yea, they spake truly, and show me an atomizer, and it's proper use.

now, being in ignorance of paint, atomizers, and its application, i may decide that the eloquence of finger painter idiot is more appealing than the jargon of himwhopaintethforbreadeth. it followeth, therefore, some indication of the knowledge of him who speaketh is required to formeth my owneth opinioneth. amen.

therefore, in the interests of learning who are winning players, so that their perceptions can be weighed and balanced, and taken with respect, yea, unto my bosom, i did ask my woebegone question.

when and if it becomes an issue for me, that i cannot tell the rule from the instance, or cannot distinguish my right hand from my left, or any other like quotidian philosophical issue, i will post a question begging the knowledge thereof.

so again, let me iterate: is there a way to determine who is making the bread?; for i swear, i wish to paint my car, and live with the consequences, yea, mightily.

[/ QUOTE ]

I already said this, but I'll do it again. The conclusions arrived at by WHOMEVER posts replies to hand histories are RATIONALIZED, and not LEARNED. If you don't know how to RATIONALIZE a decision, then ASK A QUESTION, or BUY A [censored] BOOK.

numeri 11-16-2005 01:59 AM

So I almost have the ellusive 100%er at my table right now. Current VP$IP is 95.7%, but it's only through 30 hands. Needless to say, I feel priveledged that he's directly to my right, and I've been isolating frequently.

Hmmm... maybe that was too much content. Ehh...

NateDog 11-16-2005 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jehova!

Mine's 9 inches.

numeri 11-16-2005 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mine's 9 inches.

[/ QUOTE ]
You have a 9-in monitor? I thought you bought one of those 2001fp ones from Dell. WTF? Or am I missing something?

jaxUp 11-16-2005 02:04 AM

I'm always right...just listen to me.

NateDog 11-16-2005 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mine's 9 inches.

[/ QUOTE ]
You have a 9-in monitor? I thought you bought one of those 2001fp ones from Dell. WTF? Or am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop is light in the loafers.

MrWookie47 11-16-2005 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jehova!

Mine's 9 inches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ignore everything Nate says, except for this. I haven't laughed at something this hard in a NC thread for quite a while. VNH, sir.

Bottomset, you'll have your (original) personal NC thread unlocked and free for use by Sunday ON THE CONDITION that you send me a PM with the link. I'm too lazy to dig it up.

numeri 11-16-2005 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I almost have the ellusive 100%er at my table right now. Current VP$IP is 95.7%, but it's only through 30 hands. Needless to say, I feel priveledged that he's directly to my right, and I've been isolating frequently.

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously, this guy is soooo bad.

Absolute Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB

Results:
MP doesn't show J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero has A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (three of a kind, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins 9.75 BB.

11-16-2005 02:15 AM

dear Aaron:

i viewed your website. you mispelled "consistantly".

apparently, you do not understand that "rationalization" is a term that describes the method whereby we think, but NOT what it is we think. the christian forefathers could and did, rationalize the number of angels standing upon the head of a pin.

i am not interested in rationalizing an incorrection. i am interested in learning to play poker well. i will learn to play poker well from those who play poker well.

you [censored] [censored], you.

gharp 11-16-2005 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Shillx

[/ QUOTE ]
Someone sent me a good upgrade for his avatar today:

http://www.keriandgreg.com/gregfiles/FGerber.jpg

Eh?

Aaron_ 11-16-2005 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i am not interested in rationalizing an incorrection. i am interested in learning to play poker well. i will learn to play poker well from those who play poker well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck.