Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Bet/Fold River? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=378728)

PSW 11-15-2005 03:12 AM

Bet/Fold River?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB is 60/9/.39 after 75 hands.

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.70 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, BB calls.

River: (6.70 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9.70 BB

I working on getting the Bet/fold into my arsenal. Was it correctly used here?

psw

ellipse_87 11-15-2005 04:11 AM

Re: Bet/Fold River?

Bet-fold last-to-act on the River is called for when you don't hate being raised. Here I don't hate being raised because a bluff check-raise and slow-played Ace account for less than 10% of this villain's possible holdings, and I can fold TPTK with very little consternation.

toss 11-15-2005 04:13 AM

Looks good. Villain's numbers indicate that he's rivered you with some wacky hand. Make sure you keep an eye on what he raises with though.

BoxLiquid 11-15-2005 04:41 AM

I'm still a trainee.. I don't understand why we fold this on the river to a raise?

Also... why not a check/call?

If anyone can explain I will greatly appreciate it.

olavfo 11-15-2005 04:42 AM

If you can't call a river checkraise, why not take a free showdown?

11-15-2005 04:44 AM

I wouldn't fold based on these stats. I would fold if this is the first time he has ever check raised, or if he has check raised three times and showed down with 2 pair or better.

ellipse_87 11-15-2005 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Value. We have TPTK and it seems that the other guy likes to call a lot.

olavfo 11-15-2005 04:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Value. We have TPTK and it seems that the other guy likes to call a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I understand that, but you need to be very sure you are beaten to fold in this spot, otherwise you might be doing a terrible mistake. You need very good reads to bet-fold profitably here. Without such reads, I don't bet-fold, I bet-call or check behind.

I consider river bet-folding to be a somewhat dangerous practice.

BoxLiquid 11-15-2005 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand that, but you need to be very sure you are beaten to fold in this spot, otherwise you might be doing a terrible mistake. You need very good reads to bet-fold profitably here. Without such reads, I don't bet-fold, I bet-call or check behind.

I consider river bet-folding to be a somewhat dangerous practice.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's true. There were many times I've been c/r'ed on the river to end up winning. How did you guys determine knowing to fold?

ellipse_87 11-15-2005 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You need very good reads

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain is 60/9/.36 after 75. Do we need a larger sample, or lower aggression? This guy seems really passive. I can't see what he's check-raising that we beat. I don't think he's bluff check-raising 10% of the time.

toss 11-15-2005 05:09 AM

Villains stats after 75 hands suggest he only will checkraise here with strong hands. 75 hands, although small, is probably sufficient enough information to allow us to make such a fold. Thats why in my first post I noted that Hero should observe what villain will checkraise and bets with in case the Poker Tracker stats are misleading.

11-15-2005 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You need very good reads

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain is 60/9/.36 after 75. Do we need a larger sample, or lower aggression? This guy seems really passive. I can't see what he's check-raising that we beat. I don't think he's bluff check-raising 10% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

True he probably isn't bluff check-raising, but from his stats we do know that Villain is an idiot. He might think he is slow playing a pair of aces. He doesn't think he is bluffing.

Nick Royale 11-15-2005 05:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villains stats after 75 hands suggest he only will checkraise here with strong hands. 75 hands, although small, is probably sufficient enough information to allow us to make such a fold. Thats why in my first post I noted that Hero should observe what villain will checkraise and bets with in case the Poker Tracker stats are misleading.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure how much these stats tells us. We have only 75 hands. He's aggressive preflop and since he's playing 60% an af of 0.35 isn't awfully low (even though I agree it's low). There's no reasonable hand check/raising this river that we beat, but our opponent obviously isn't reasonable judging from the number of hands he play. I don't think the af is an appropriate way of meassuring how likely a player is to be making a strange bluff and in my experience a player with these stats are more likely to be making a weird bluff than many others. I've also seen players like this check/raising AQ/AT here. I'm most often paying off this river, but I think it's pretty close.

What would be really bad though is to check this river through, since the river bet clearly has value.

Adam22 11-15-2005 08:00 AM

i could never fold that. there are plenty of hands i could fold there but top pair top kicker against a total nut isn't one of them.

PSW 11-15-2005 04:18 PM

So no one is worried about the flush here?

psw

Nick Royale 11-15-2005 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So no one is worried about the flush here?

psw

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course it's a concern, but you only need to be ahead ~10%. The question isn't really how often he has a flush, but how often he's capable of representing it by bluffing or raising a weaker ace.

W. Deranged 11-15-2005 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a bad way of thinking that I hear a lot from opponents in live games as high as 20/40 and 30/60. The reason we bet is because there's value here. Not betting, in fact, is HORRIBLE poker. This kind of straightforward river value-betting is one of the single-most important factors in distinguishing solid-winning from break-even type players.

ellipse_87 11-16-2005 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He's aggressive preflop and since he's playing 60% an af of 0.35 isn't awfully low

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
there are plenty of hands i could fold there but top pair top kicker against a total nut isn't one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This player is loose passive, period. A 9% pfr% doesn't suggest aggression. OP has seen him take 45 flops and has noticed nothing to increase the likelihood of a bluff check-raise here. Yes, folding will lose a pot once in a while, but you have to draw the line somewhere, or else you have a leak.

What numbers are needed to fold here?