Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Greatest NBA Shots/Moves/Runs (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=378525)

istewart 11-14-2005 09:30 PM

Greatest NBA Shots/Moves/Runs

With runs being a series of amazing stuff.

What are your favorites? Post pics/vids obviously if they are available [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Other than the obvious ones I'm sure you'll list, I'll kick it off by saying that Rex Chapman's falling-away 3-pointer from 5ish? years back on the Suns is one of my favorite shots.

mmbt0ne 11-14-2005 09:48 PM

Re: Greatest NBA Shots/Moves/Runs

Sean Elliot's tiptoe 3 pointer from the corner. His heels were literally over the out of bounds line. Amazing.

Or the Larry Johnson 4 pointer in the playoffs. If only for the shot from the rafters where you see the whole Garden explode.

JcTc 11-14-2005 09:53 PM

-Reggie Miller's 8 points in 11 seconds versus the Knicks in the 1995 playoffs

-T-Mac went crazy in the fourth quarter of a game last season, does anybody remember the details?

-Jordan's mid-air switching the ball between hands lay-up against the Lakers in the '91 Finals

istewart 11-14-2005 10:10 PM

Both of these are good. Larry Johnson's 4-point play was incredible.

istewart 11-14-2005 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
T-Mac went crazy in the fourth quarter of a game last season, does anybody remember the details?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I've seen this clip tons of times. It's on some DVD I got from Netflix. The details, are, well, that he ran up and hit some shots. And then he ran up and hit some more shots with 4 people in his face from 28 feet out.

battschr 11-14-2005 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-Jordan's mid-air switching the ball between hands lay-up against the Lakers in the '91 Finals

[/ QUOTE ]
This play is WAY overrated.

istewart 11-14-2005 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This play is WAY overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Define "overrated."

battschr 11-14-2005 11:32 PM

o·ver·rate Pronunciation Key (vr-rt)
tr.v. o·ver·rat·ed, o·ver·rat·ing, o·ver·rates

To overestimate the merits of; rate too highly.

It was a nice play, but certainly not one that should go down as one of the greatest of all time. Plus he could have just dunked the ball to begin with, Perkins didn't even jump.

TheNoodleMan 11-14-2005 11:37 PM

Pacers at Nets game 5 of the 2002 playoffs.
Back then it was still best of 5 in the first round.
At the end of regulation, Reggie Miller hits a 35 footer to send the game into OT.
With 8 seconds remaining in OT and the Pacers down by 2, Miller got the ball at the arc and everyone in the world thought he was going to take the shot and go for the win. Instead he pumpfakes the defender, drives the land and dunks to send it to a second OT.
The entire effort was ultimately in vein, the Pacers were destroyed in the second OT, but Miller dunking was the most unexpected clutch moment I have ever seen. It was the only time I can remember him dunking in anything other than an uncontested fast break situation.

Clarkmeister 11-14-2005 11:38 PM

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=jordan+shot/v=2/SID=e/TID=I001_70/l=IVI/SIG=12hts0q1m/EXP=1132112257/*-http%3A//www.williamt.com/nibl/season2000/z_jordan_lastshot.jpg[/img]

istewart 11-14-2005 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It was a nice play, but certainly not one that should go down as one of the greatest of all time. Plus he could have just dunked the ball to begin with, Perkins didn't even jump.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, it's Jordan. Whether he needed to do it or not is pretty irrelevant in this discussion, it was effing awesome IMO.

JcTc 11-14-2005 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, it's Jordan. Whether he needed to do it or not is pretty irrelevant in this discussion, it was effing awesome IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can say that he didn't need to do it, but the fact is that he did it, and he made it look so easy. One of the most memorable plays in basketball history.

Phoenix1010 11-15-2005 12:45 AM

The LJ 4 point play is my favorite. We got some good ones in the playoffs two years ago. There was that infamous Lakers/Spurs game where Kobe hit a go ahead jumper with <15 seconds left, Duncan hit a shot while he was nearly horizontal with <1 second left, and Derek Fisher got all the credit for his .4 second heave. I was yelling so much during that game. Then the very next night the Nets and Pistons went to triple overtime, Chauncey Billups hit a halfcourt buzzer beater to tie the game at the end of one of them. Porbably the best weekend of basketball I've ever experienced.

goofball 11-15-2005 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=jordan+shot/v=2/SID=e/TID=I001_70/l=IVI/SIG=12hts0q1m/EXP=1132112257/*-http%3A//www.williamt.com/nibl/season2000/z_jordan_lastshot.jpg[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

He pushed off.

Clarkmeister 11-15-2005 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He pwns.

[/ QUOTE ]

lastsamurai 11-15-2005 01:46 AM

I remember there was this one dunk in the olympics where Vince Carter dunked over this one guy and jumped over his head!

Huskiez 11-15-2005 01:48 AM

Allan Houston runner against Miami in Game 5. One of my top three moments as a sports fan.

Taraz 11-15-2005 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember there was this one dunk in the olympics where Vince Carter dunked over this one guy and jumped over his head!

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a pretty sweet one. But it wasn't in the NBA. I nominate the following:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas.../erving_sm.jpg

http://www.nba.com/media/finals2003/...ng_80_grab.jpg

And just in terms of general moves, I was always a fan of Tim Hardaway's killer crossover:

http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/~kwang/nba/heat/timmy.gif

JcTc 11-15-2005 02:34 AM

I nominate the following:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas.../erving_sm.jpg

http://www.nba.com/media/finals2003/...ng_80_grab.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Great call with this one!

istewart 11-15-2005 03:31 AM

Iverson doing the crossover on Jordan in his rookie year was something to see.

This is a good one too. Jordan coming in and getting the missed free throw in the AS game.

Here.

LoaferGee12 11-15-2005 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This is a good one too. Jordan coming in and getting the missed free throw in the AS game.

Here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man, I forgot about that. So awesome. While we're on the topic of Jordan, does any one have any montages of him just being awesome? I could go for one about now.

Taraz 11-15-2005 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Oh man, I forgot about that. So awesome. While we're on the topic of Jordan, does any one have any montages of him just being awesome? I could go for one about now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a few, but I don't know where to host them. You can PM me if you really want them.

TheNoodleMan 11-15-2005 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Here.

[/ QUOTE ]
meh, that right there is a great example of why the NBA all-star game is crap. That is a blatant lane violation. If the refs didn't call that in NBA games, it would happen on every single missed free throw.

Jules22 11-15-2005 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Here.

[/ QUOTE ]
meh, that right there is a great example of why the NBA all-star game is crap. That is a blatant lane violation. If the refs didn't call that in NBA games, it would happen on every single missed free throw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jules22 11-15-2005 05:01 AM

i hate the lakers and especially kobe bryant, but his three to send game 2 of the 2003-2004 finals to OT was pretty f'n clutch. also horrys three that destroyed my kings, but that was his thing too. his shot in this years finals was pretty absurd too

Popinjay 11-15-2005 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Here.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is that a lane violation? Looked to me like he entered the key after the ball left Hill's hands. Or I could be dumb and the rule is after it hits the rim.

Desmond Mason has had some great dunks in NBA games. Anyone remember Spurs/Sonics 200x playoff game when at the end Desmond does a 360 dunk? That was f'ing spectacular especially since he played a lot of the game. I believe he had a tip jam that sent a game into OT in the reg. season for the Sonics. Also I am pretty sure he has tip jam'd a freethrow from standing around the key (not running like Jordan).

11-15-2005 07:44 AM

T-Mac's does it for me... and yeah Jordan pushed off. And if you wanna get picky about lane violations, how bout we get picky on the fact that every time an NBA player touches the ball he takes 3 steps then dribbles?

But one of my all time favorite moments... wasn't a play. Shaq takes a HUGE swing at Barkley (at that point a Rocket, I think) and Barkley ducks, pulls his legs out from under him, and pummels the crap out of him. muy bueno.

Aces McGee 11-15-2005 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the most memorable plays in basketball history.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only because it's shown in every highlight reel. It's not all that difficult a play. Yeah, he's high in the air, but we already knew that about Jordan.

-McGee

Clarkmeister 11-15-2005 11:52 AM

I feel so bad for all the Jordan haters. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

MightyMouse 11-15-2005 12:35 PM

Paul Pierce and the Celtics. Down 21 going into the fourth quarter game 3 against the Nets in the 2002 Eastern Conference Finals. (Wait, the C's were in the ECFs three years ago??) Anyway, I was supposed to be studying for a US History Test during this game, but I was watching it on mute in my room. I get severe goosebumps whenever I watch highlights from this, which can only be matched by Adam Vinatieri's snow fieldgoal. I love Boston sports.

antidan444 11-15-2005 05:35 PM

Two thoughts after reading this thread ...

1. Michael Jordan's switching-hands layup in Game 1 of the 1991 Finals is a perfect example of a shot that is extraordinarily memorable (and even athletically graceful)while at the same time not being the highest degree of difficulty. Sure, I couldn't do that in a million years. But I'd bet at least half of all current NBA players could make that shot in a HORSE game if needed.

2. Unfortunately, I don't remember the player or even the NBA team he played for, but I saw on a highlight video some guy running full steam to retrieve a loose ball near the corner to the right of the basket and, while falling out of bounds, flipped the ball behind his back, 20 feet through the air and in. I still can't believe that shot.

As far as hot streaks ... Isiah Thomas' 25-point quarter on a gimpy ankle ... Thomas also had a game where he scored 17 or so points in another fourth-quarter comeback ... Reggie Miller's 8-point barrage ... Jordan going for 63 vs. Boston in 1986 ... T-Mac last year ... The Larry Bird/Dominique Wilkins duel (I think in 1987, but I may be mistaken).

namknils 11-15-2005 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How is that a lane violation? Looked to me like he entered the key after the ball left Hill's hands. Or I could be dumb and the rule is after it hits the rim.

[/ QUOTE ]

The guys lined up along the lane can go in when it leaves the shooters hand. The shooter and anyone not on the lane has to wait until it hits the rim.

namknils 11-15-2005 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel so bad for all the Jordan haters. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I don't know how anyone could hate Jordan, he was so awesome. But then again I didn't grow up with my team [insert Cavs, Knicks, Pacers, Jazz, Charles Barkley, et al.] getting crushed every year because one guy was just too good. Sucks to be them.

MCS 11-15-2005 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. Unfortunately, I don't remember the player or even the NBA team he played for, but I saw on a highlight video some guy running full steam to retrieve a loose ball near the corner to the right of the basket and, while falling out of bounds, flipped the ball behind his back, 20 feet through the air and in. I still can't believe that shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's the shot I'm thinking of, I believe it was JR Rider and he was closer to halfcourt than the corner.

TheNoodleMan 11-15-2005 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The guys lined up along the lane can go in when it leaves the shooters hand. The shooter and anyone not on the lane has to wait until it hits the rim.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, and anything from an all star game is pretty much null and void since no one is even trying to play defense. There was nothing in that play that was particularly athletic by NBA standards. The NBA all star game could use a Pete Rose type to put some meaning into the game.

TripleH68 11-15-2005 09:28 PM

To my old Detroit Pistons fans,

Vinnie Johnson with the lean in jumper.

How the hell did he make those shots?

antidan444 11-16-2005 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's the shot I'm thinking of, I believe it was JR Rider and he was closer to halfcourt than the corner.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm positive the guy was falling out of bounds along the baseline about a foot from the sideline.