Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Greatest sports comeback ever! (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=376542)

tomdemaine 11-11-2005 05:03 PM

Greatest sports comeback ever!

I'd like to hear your opinions on the greatest sprots comeback ever. Anything from overcome a huge score deficit to a small but momentous one or a personal comeback after an injury, anything, apples vs oranges. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'd like to throw one out there from a UK point of view, Englands comeback against Australia in 1981 in what became the Botham Ashes.

11-11-2005 05:09 PM

Re: Greatest sports comeback ever!

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to throw one out there from a UK point of view, Englands comeback against Australia in 1981 in what became the Botham Ashes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the one i was going to say too.

youtalkfunny 11-11-2005 05:09 PM

3. Wasn't there an Indians/Mariners game a few years ago, where one team scored about 10 runs in the bottom of the 9th to win it?

2. "The Greatest High School Football Game Ever Played"

Plano East trails John Tyler 41-17 with less than three minutes to play, takes the lead in regulation (had to recover THREE onside kicks). Sadly, they lost on the ensuing kick-off.

1. The Boston Red Sox fall behind three games to none (and trail in the 9th inning of Game Four), in a best-of-seven series against the vaunted New York Yankees. The Red Sox make history by becoming the first baseball team to ever come back from that deficit.

Dynasty 11-11-2005 05:13 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...r/a2c841a0.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...DavidCeleb.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...ling_getty.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...s_10202004.jpg

tdarko 11-11-2005 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. "The Greatest High School Football Game Ever Played"

Plano East trails John Tyler 41-17 with less than three minutes to play, takes the lead in regulation (had to recover THREE onside kicks). Sadly, they lost on the ensuing kick-off.

[/ QUOTE ]
haha, wow i can't believe you mentioned this game.

wh1t3bread 11-11-2005 05:36 PM

The Jets comeback against the Dolphins on MNF in 2000 was pretty good. Not greatest. But "pretty pretty pretty good".

I think the Jets were losing 30-9 when the 4th quarter started. Testaverde threw 4 touchdowns in that quarter. Then, Hall hit a field goal after a Marcus Coleman interception of Fiedler to win the game in OT.

Hornacek 11-11-2005 05:45 PM

3. Frank Reich, baby!
2. The Amazin's
1. Ortizzle to the hizzle

tdarko 11-11-2005 05:54 PM

as much as i hated it (worst sports memory as a child i think, my favorite player was warren moon), i am going to have to say the bills comeback against the oilers in '93... "the comeback"

CollinEstes 11-11-2005 06:28 PM

Since it looks like some of you guys might be from Texas this the best comeback I ever witnessed because my brother was on the losing team.

High School baseball 5A.
Bellaire vs. Clemens High School in Houston. (For those who don't know Bellaire was consitently the best team in the country.)

Clemens leads by 11 runs with one out to go in the bottom of the 7th. Bellaire rallies to score 12 runs with 2 outs and wins the game. Advancing them into the next round of the playoffs. Ouch.

I think it was like 97 or 98 or something don't remember the exact year.

kschellenger 11-11-2005 06:37 PM

I'll throw out a couple suggestions:

James Blake coming back from his injury and everything to make the US Open quarters.

Wisconsin/Minnesota 2005. Wisconsin recovers a blocked punt in the end zone with ~30 seconds left to win 38-34.

Boston Red Sox down 3-0 to the Yanks.

1975 NY Islanders come back from 3-0 against the Penguins. They did it again against the Flyers in the semi-finals.

St. Louis Cardinals/Tampa Bay Bucs 1987. Tampa led 28-3 going into the 4th. The Cardinals won 31-28

jstnrgrs 11-11-2005 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to hear your opinions on the greatest sprots comeback ever. Anything from overcome a huge score deficit to a small but momentous one or a personal comeback after an injury, anything, apples vs oranges. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's hard to say that there was a great comeback in cricket. Teams come back form 200 or 300 runs down all the time in that game. So if you are going to say that there was a great comeback in cricket, I'd have to say.

1. Every cricket match in which the team batting second won. . . . ever

2956. The Red Sox comming back from 0-3 against the yankees

2957. THE comeback

nothumb 11-11-2005 07:17 PM

There was one where UNC scored 8 points in 11 seconds that's got to be up there for college games. I forget when it happened.

NT

Cancuk 11-11-2005 07:20 PM

John Travolta in Pulp Fiction,

and it's not even close.

andyfox 11-11-2005 07:25 PM

In a series: painful as it is for me to admit, Dyansty is correct--Red Sox vs. Yankees 2004

In a game: Don't remember exactly when, but Knicks trailed the Bucks by 18 with about 4-5 minutes to go and scored the final 19 points to win the game.

andyfox 11-11-2005 07:27 PM

3. Wasn't there an Indians/Mariners game a few years ago, where one team scored about 10 runs in the bottom of the 9th to win it?

Dodgers once led 11-1 in the 8th, at home, and gave up 2 in the 8th, then 9 in the 9th to lose 12-11.

Cancuk 11-11-2005 07:30 PM

How about Reggie Miller against the Knicks?

bugstud 11-11-2005 07:42 PM

Illinois v Arizona [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

DukeSucks 11-11-2005 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There was one where UNC scored 8 points in 11 seconds that's got to be up there for college games. I forget when it happened.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

1974: 8 points in 17 seconds. Before the shot clock.

11-11-2005 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as much as i hated it (worst sports memory as a child i think, my favorite player was warren moon), i am going to have to say the bills comeback against the oilers in '93... "the comeback"

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite player was also Warren Moon (thanks to Tecmo Super Bowl) and I was 8 when this happened all I really remeber about it was how I started crying afterwords.

mblax10 11-11-2005 08:47 PM

#2 Duke at #10 Maryland 2001

Maryland 90 Duke 80 with 1 minute left.

Jason Williams scores 8 points including 2 3's. Nate James hits 2 free throws to tie it at 90 and take the game to OT. Shane Battier takes over in OT and Duke wins 98-96

I remember watching the last minute in complete amazement.

I think this goes right up their with the Red Sox & Frank Reich.

jesusarenque 11-11-2005 09:03 PM

Lance Armstrong wins this easily.

The Red Sox coming back from 0-3 is overrated.

11-11-2005 09:07 PM

For an individual hockey game: The miracle on Manchester. 1982 playoffs, the Kings were down 5-0 to edmonton to start the 3rd period. they tied it in regulation and won it in overtime.

McGahee 11-11-2005 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Part of what made that incredible was the fact that Kelly & Thurman weren't even playing. Added bonus points for Houston killing Buffalo the previous week costing them home field advantage, and talking a lot of trash after.

miajag81 11-11-2005 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
#2 Duke at #10 Maryland 2001

Maryland 90 Duke 80 with 1 minute left.

Jason Williams scores 8 points including 2 3's. Nate James hits 2 free throws to tie it at 90 and take the game to OT. Shane Battier takes over in OT and Duke wins 98-96

I remember watching the last minute in complete amazement.

I think this goes right up their with the Red Sox & Frank Reich.

[/ QUOTE ]

PUUUUUUKE

I was at this game. I SCKM afterward.

PUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKE.

PhatTBoll 11-11-2005 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Part of what made that incredible was the fact that Kelly & Thurman weren't even playing. Added bonus points for Houston killing Buffalo the previous week costing them home field advantage, and talking a lot of trash after.

[/ QUOTE ]
Huh? The game was played in Buffalo.

Dominic 11-11-2005 11:10 PM

c'mon.

Bills-Oilers when the Bills came back down 35-3

Punker 11-12-2005 12:12 AM

I hate you. I was 9 years old and living in Edmonton when this game happened. There were tears.

nothumb 11-12-2005 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

1974: 8 points in 17 seconds. Before the shot clock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention before the 3-ball, right? Sick.

NT

Greg J 11-12-2005 12:43 AM

That was the worst officated game ever. Many of Buffalo's second half touchdowns should have been called back, including one where the reciever ran out of bounds down the sidelines until the corner finally let him go (he was so obviously ineligible). He came back inbounds and "caught" a touchdown.

Unbelievable how bad that game was officiated!

Lori 11-12-2005 12:58 AM

I still have nightmares about the Bills/Oilers playoff match. I can't give more details as I went to bed when the Oilers were ahead by enough that I knew we were going to win. (Games were live on USAFRTS, not TV back in those days)
I woke up during overtime.

Lori

Lori 11-12-2005 01:00 AM

I hadn't seen tdarko's post when I made mine [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Edit: or any of the other ten zillion posts on the same subject.

Lori

Aceshigh7 11-12-2005 01:29 AM

Down 10 points with 52 seconds left against the best team in the NBA, T-Mac worked his magic.

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/7...grady639ey.jpg

Unoriginalname 11-12-2005 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite player was also Warren Moon (thanks to Tecmo Super Bowl) and I was 8 when this happened all I really remeber about it was how I started crying afterwords.

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite player in tecmo super bowl was "QB Bills".

Richard Tanner 11-12-2005 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How about Reggie Miller against the Knicks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cody

McGahee 11-12-2005 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Huh? The game was played in Buffalo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it was also a wild card game.
Everyone forgets the Bills had to destroy Pittsburgh & Miami on the road after that game to make the SB.

McGahee 11-12-2005 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That was the worst officated game ever. Many of Buffalo's second half touchdowns should have been called back, including one where the reciever ran out of bounds down the sidelines until the corner finally let him go (he was so obviously ineligible). He came back inbounds and "caught" a touchdown.

Unbelievable how bad that game was officiated!

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah, what a bunch of crap. By "many" of their TD's you mean "that one". And it was a 1st down play at that - based on how Houston's D played for the rest of the game - what made you think they would've made a stop on that drive had the penalty been called?

skp 11-12-2005 04:08 AM

The three that come to my mind:

1. Buffalo Bills leading the Oilers 35-3 in a playoff game and somehow blowing it. Of course, I had a bet on the Oilers.

2. 1982 NHL playoffs: My beloved Edmonton Oilers leading the LA Kings 5-0 in the third period and losing 6-5 in OT. That made the series 2-1 LA and they go on to win the best of 5 opening round series 3-2.

3. 2001 test cricket : Australia in India. Steve Waugh's last tour of India and last chance to conquer the final frontier i.e. by winning a test series in India. Aussies win the first test (3 test tour) in Mumbai with ridiculous ease. In the 2nd test in Calcutta, Aussies get 450 odd in the first innings and bowl out India for 200 odd and ask them to follow on. The test and series win is 99% locked. Except someone forgot to tell VVS Laxman and Rahul Dravid.

The two start batting at the close of the 3rd day and maintain the partnership till the 5th morning. India racks up 600 odd: Laxman with 281 (the then Indian batting record since broken by Sehwag's 309) and Dravid (180). India then bowl out the Aussies in just over two sessions on the 5th day and secure an absolutely unbelievable win. Only the 3rd team in test cricket history to win after following on.

India goes on to win another thriller in Chennai in the third test and deny Waugh a victory on Indian soil.

Of course, the Aussies led by Ricky Ponting did go on to conquer the final frontier in 2004...sigh

jdl22 11-12-2005 04:45 AM

http://pub.tv2.no/multimedia/na/arch...Li_192965c.jpg

tomdemaine 11-12-2005 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://pub.tv2.no/multimedia/na/arch...Li_192965c.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Good one

ucfryan 11-12-2005 05:07 PM

As good as some of these answers are, Jim MacLarens story trumps them all and I don't think it's really close.

[ QUOTE ]
In 1985, 22-year-old Jim MacLaren was a 6'5" 300-pound Yale all-American athlete and aspiring actor. His future appeared as unlimited as his ambitions. But one fall day in New York City, Jim was struck by a bus and pronounced dead. "They actually chalked my body on the street," he says.

Ultimately, Jim recovered, but his injuries were serious. Jim lost his left leg below the knee. He was devastated at first, but his courageous spirit liberated his body. After transforming his muscular build into the lean frame of a long-distance runner, Jim became the fastest one-legged endurance athlete on the planet, breaking the marathon world record in 3 hours 16 minutes, and setting the world record in the Ironman Triathlon. In every race, Jim finished in the top third of all contenders—even the able-bodied athletes he competed against.

Finally back at the top of his game, the unthinkable suddenly happened.

In the middle of an Ironman competition, on a closed course, a van struck Jim and threw him from his bike. At the hospital, doctors delivered a devastating blow. Jim had a broken neck, and he would never again move or feel from his chest down. Heartbroken, Jim could barely cope with the news that he was now quadriplegic. "I don't know if I can do this again," he thought.

Jim faced a choice—to lose himself to his body or to live beyond his so-called "disability." Told he would never move again, doctors only considered the severity of Jim's injuries—not the strength of his will. After enduring thousands of hours of painful rehab, he stunned and inspired all who knew him. His doctors call him a living miracle.

"Initially I was diagnosed as a complete quadriplegic," Jim says. "Complete means you'll get no motor or sensory from your injury and below. … Now I'm [an] incomplete [quadriplegic]. My legs are stronger. You [Oprah] and I, if we had to, could get up and walk out of here. It's not functional, [but] I do it every day for exercise. It's a miracle."

Despite Jim's progress in the years following his second accident, he reached a point in his recovery where his limitations weighed heavily on his soul—and he began a downward spiral that would take him to his ultimate rock bottom.

His body and spirit crushed, Jim developed a serious cocaine addiction. Even though he was physically independent, he struggled with his loss and feared the future. He moved to Hawaii and went on an eight-month cocaine binge. "It was my only drug of choice," he says, "the only thing that made the pain better."

One day Jim found himself in a drug-induced haze, on the same stretch of road where he had once crossed the finish line as an Ironman champion. "I realized that my spirit [was not] where it needs to be. I found my strength by saying and believing, 'I am not my body. I am a man.'

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a lot more to his story, he's a motivational speaker now for all sorts of people. Jim Rome did an hour long interview with him last week that was just absolutely incredible.