Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   2005 TOC Update *SPOILERS* (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=374731)

7n7 11-09-2005 01:21 AM

2005 TOC Update *SPOILERS*

If you're not following this on CardPlayer, you're missing out. This should make for some great t.v. It's down to Hoyt, Hellmuth, and the Mouth.

Matusow is breaking out all the verbal warfare tactics with Hellmuth.

Also, if you recall the WPT episode from a while back where Hoyt pwned Hellmuth and Hellmuth commented that he "couldn't wait to get another crack at him."

Airs on Christmas Eve...thanks Santa!

Douche Bag 11-09-2005 01:29 AM

Re: 2005 TOC Update *SPOILERS*

I cannot wait to see this one.

PoBoy321 11-09-2005 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Between hands, Matusow tells Hellmuth that they're at war. When Hellmuth points out that they've already been at war, Matusow says, "You were at war with me. But now I'm at war with you."

[/ QUOTE ]

Dynasty 11-09-2005 01:46 AM

Hellmuth is asked by the tournament director to stack his chips, as they are spread out over a large area in front of him. Hellmuth lightly challenges him, and it's not long before he and Matusow are back into it. Eventually, even Steve Dannenmann jumps into things, saying that as a professional poker player, he isn't acting very professionally. They exchange a few more words, and Dannenmann caps it off by saying, "Nobody should buy your books or CDs, because you're a punk." Phil is taking a lot of abuse today, but he seems to be taking it very well. Of course, some would say he's had a lot of practice.

Bluff Daddy 11-09-2005 02:08 AM

Between hands, Matusow remarks, "When I go home at night, I think to myself, "God I wish I was Phil Hellmuth.

CheckRaise 11-09-2005 02:10 AM

Are we going to see the whole tourney or just the final table? Cant wait to see Matasow and Helmuth, that is a dream tv match up.

young nut 11-09-2005 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hellmuth is asked by the tournament director to stack his chips, as they are spread out over a large area in front of him. Hellmuth lightly challenges him, and it's not long before he and Matusow are back into it. Eventually, even Steve Dannenmann jumps into things, saying that as a professional poker player, he isn't acting very professionally. They exchange a few more words, and Dannenmann caps it off by saying, "Nobody should buy your books or CDs, because you're a punk." Phil is taking a lot of abuse today, but he seems to be taking it very well. Of course, some would say he's had a lot of practice.

[/ QUOTE ]

this makes my mouth water, this is gonna be hilarious when it airs.

11-09-2005 04:04 AM

Remind any of you guys of a Matusow hand of the past??

Date / Time: 2005-11-08 23:59:00
Title: Mike Matusow Doubles Through Hoyt Corkins
Log: Hand 146 - Mike Matusow has the button in seat 9, and he raises to $45,000, winning the blinds and antes.

Between hands, Hellmuth walks over to his father, saying this is ridiculous. "It's super-aggressive, just all in, all in, all in." He goes back to the table to fold his next hand, and then returns to say something else to his Dad. His father offers words of encouragement.

Hand 147 - Phil Hellmuth has the button in seat 4, Corkins limps, Matusow raises to $45,000 from the big blind, and Corkins moves all in. Matusow gets up out of his seat to study Corkins and the chips. He takes off his sunglasses, and is really taking his time here. Matusow finally calls with Ac-Qc. Unfortunately, he's dominated by Corkins' Ad-Kc. Matusow needs to improve to stay alive here.

The flop comes 10d-3h-2d, and Matusow needs to catch a queen or a runner-runner straight to survive. The turn card is -- the Qd! The crowd goes wild as Matusow hits his three-outer on the turn. Now Corkins needs to catch a jack, a king, or any diamond to eliminate Matusow.

The river card is the 2h, and Mike Matusow doubles through Corkins to over $850,000 in chips.

cookieb 11-09-2005 04:26 AM

Matusow continues to grow on me-

Hellmuth says, "You know I finished second in this event last year. There's only one way to improve." To that, Matusow responds, "If you keep getting INVITED to tournaments, it's easy to finish second."

Dynasty 11-09-2005 04:44 AM

Hellmuth finishes 3rd and gives an exit interview to ESPN.

From CardPlayer:

Phil Hellmuth has been talking to ESPN in his exit interview, and (not surprisingly) he's had plenty to say. He started out by talking about how freaking lucky Hoyt Corkins has been, because he was pushing all in, all in, all in, and the very few times Hellmuth calls him with premium hands, Corkins has aces or something. He also pointd out that Corkins must have won 70-80% of their blind vs. blind situations. He said the general public won't even be able to comprehend how unlucky he got at this final table.

He went on to say that this was among the top four performances he's ever had in a tournament. He was never in a pot for all of his chips until very late at the final table, when he got it in with pocket jacks against Matusow's K-J. He was pleased with his play, but very displeased with the results. When asked how he felt about third place, he said, "Who cares about third place? I play to win. Nobody remembers third place."

Dynasty 11-09-2005 04:52 AM

Hand 159 - Hoyt Corkins has the button, he limps, and Matusow checks. The flop comes Kd-Ks-10c, and both players check. The turn card is the Qh, and Matusow checks out. That's right, he folds, even though Corkins hadn't bet. He laughs afterwards, saying something about his hand. It must have been a really low hand.

Dynasty 11-09-2005 05:00 AM

Some exciting heads-up play:

Hand 161 - Hoyt Corkins has the button, and he folds.

Hand 164 - Mike Matusow has the button, and he folds.

Hand 165 - Hoyt Corkins has the button, and he folds.

Hand 166 - Mike Matusow has the button, unknown action (no flop).

Hand 167 - Hoyt Corkins has the button, unknown action (no flop).

It's likely that these "unknown action" hands are just folded from the button. But if it's not announced, we don't always have a clear view of the action from media row.

Hand 169 - Hoyt Corkins has the button, and he folds.

Hand 170 - Mike Matusow has the button, and he folds.

Hand 172 - Mike Matusow has the button, and he folds.

sweetjazz 11-09-2005 05:19 AM

Matusow is really playing passively heads up. I don't get how he doesn't try to steal a pot for a dozen hands and then leads out when he turns trips in hand 183.

GambleAB 11-09-2005 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are we going to see the whole tourney or just the final table? Cant wait to see Matasow and Helmuth, that is a dream tv match up.

[/ QUOTE ]

It'll be 3 hours. They filmed from 3 tables out, so I'm not sure how the time will be divided but since day 2 lasted about 4 hours, I'd guess most of the 3 hours will be on the final table. You may see me for....26 seconds total. If I'm lucky.

SoftcoreRevolt 11-09-2005 05:58 AM

Hard to say. Especially now that he has the lead back he may be thinking he can catch Hoyt and his tendency to push all in, and just win it that way. Until then he's content to just attempt to play pots he knows he can win, and stay ahead until Hoyt makes a big mistake.

11-09-2005 05:59 AM

Hand 208 - Mike Matusow has the button, and he folds.

Hand 209 - Hoyt Corkins has the button, he limps, Matusow raises to $60,000, and Corkins calls. The flop comes Ks-Js-4d, Matusow bets $60,000, Corkins moves all in, and Matusow immediately calls with Kd-9d (pair of kings). Corkins shows Qc-10c for an open-ended straight draw. Corkins needs a nine or an ace, or something runner-runner to stay alive.

The turn card is the 2h, and Matusow is one card away from winning. The river card is the 3h, and Hoyt Corkins is eliminated in second place, earning $325,000.

Mike Matusow wins the 2005 WSOP Tournament of Champions, taking home $1 million, a very cool trophy, a TV victory that will air on Christmas Eve, and a crapload of bragging rights

Deuce2High 11-09-2005 06:00 AM

GG

SoftcoreRevolt 11-09-2005 06:01 AM

Wow, I didn't think this would end so quickly. Go Mike, and now it is time for bed!

billyjex 11-09-2005 06:12 AM

Mike Matusow on Christmas Eve. What a family event!

KSOT 11-09-2005 08:02 AM

While I don't really like MM, I'm glad he beat Corkins. That guy rubs me the wrong way.

I would've prefered Hellmuth, honestly >_>

MyMindIsGoing 11-09-2005 08:06 AM

I think Phil made a good job. Coming in 2nd last year and 3rd this year.

11-09-2005 09:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would've prefered Hellmuth, honestly >_>

[/ QUOTE ]

Blasphemy.

Daliman 11-09-2005 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Coming in 2nd in a sit and go is NOT impressive. He did well in this, sure, but as said before, he was invited; he didn't earn the right to be there.

I'm getting to the point whereI can no longer stomach the man, personally, and am quickly becoming a big Matusow fan.

Hauser_III 11-09-2005 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eventually, even Steve Dannenmann jumps into things, saying that as a professional poker player, he isn't acting very professionally. They exchange a few more words, and Dannenmann caps it off by saying, "Nobody should buy your books or CDs, because you're a punk."

[/ QUOTE ]

That does it. I didn't like Dannenmann much after the Lederer phone call, but everything ESPN has shown since then has made me think the guy's actually pretty okay. And now, to hear that he told Hellmuth he's a punk? Priceless. How could anybody not like Dannenmann now?

ClaytonN 11-09-2005 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Matusow continues to grow on me-

Hellmuth says, "You know I finished second in this event last year. There's only one way to improve." To that, Matusow responds, "If you keep getting INVITED to tournaments, it's easy to finish second."

[/ QUOTE ]

omg, the sheer awesomeness

slickpoppa 11-09-2005 01:22 PM

The 50/100NL players on UB are probably salivating

Aceshigh7 11-09-2005 01:27 PM

Would have been nice for Corkins to win. At least he wouldn't be as likely to piss away the million so quickly. I wonder how much Matusow sold of himself for this? Hmm, maybe that's why Juanda was so vocal in his support.

yoadrians 11-09-2005 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would have been nice for Corkins to win. At least he wouldn't be as likely to piss away the million so quickly. I wonder how much Matusow sold of himself for this? Hmm, maybe that's why Juanda was so vocal in his support.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, why would Mike 'sell' himself for a freeroll tournament? That doesn't make any sense at all. It's not like he had to put anything up for the entry. Am I missing something?

And maybe J.J. was so vocal in his support, uh, I dunno, because they're ... friends?

11-09-2005 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Coming in 2nd in a sit and go is NOT impressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

But this was hardest SNG in the history of poker! This is very impressive. This is what I think.

11-09-2005 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, why would Mike 'sell' himself for a freeroll tournament? That doesn't make any sense at all. It's not like he had to put anything up for the entry. Am I missing something?

And maybe J.J. was so vocal in his support, uh, I dunno, because they're ... friends?

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe its because Matusow is a FTP guy and he's giving their business a boost with the win/exposure

G

Solitare 11-09-2005 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If Matusow was bankrolled for the ME, then I would think his backers will have some sort of claim on his TOC winnings, since the ME is what got him in the TOC.

And my wild guess is that Phil Gordon is one of his backers.

Aceshigh7 11-09-2005 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, because it was a freeroll, and selling pieces of himself allows him to lock up something and play for the rest. It's common.

DrSavage 11-09-2005 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And my wild guess is that Phil Gordon is one of his backers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure it's Seidel.

samjjones 11-09-2005 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mike Matusow on Christmas Eve. What a family event!

[/ QUOTE ]
Matusow is always dreaming of a "white" Christmas.

SoftcoreRevolt 11-09-2005 02:49 PM

Wasn't it reported that Mike won his entry online (Not on FTP)

J.Copperthite 11-09-2005 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wasn't it reported that Mike won his entry online (Not on FTP)

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope I seem to be quite convinced that he got an entry for making the final table of the main event...

Nice win Matusow!

archangel 11-09-2005 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Eventually, even Steve Dannenmann jumps into things, saying that as a professional poker player, he isn't acting very professionally. They exchange a few more words, and Dannenmann caps it off by saying, "Nobody should buy your books or CDs, because you're a punk."

[/ QUOTE ]

That does it. I didn't like Dannenmann much after the Lederer phone call, but everything ESPN has shown since then has made me think the guy's actually pretty okay. And now, to hear that he told Hellmuth he's a punk? Priceless. How could anybody not like Dannenmann now?

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed ... although these days, if he had posted that here, he would have been banned.

benkahuna 11-09-2005 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 159 - Hoyt Corkins has the button, he limps, and Matusow checks. The flop comes Kd-Ks-10c, and both players check. The turn card is the Qh, and Matusow checks out. That's right, he folds, even though Corkins hadn't bet. He laughs afterwards, saying something about his hand. It must have been a really low hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This hand was great. Hoyt showed a king after Mike folded. Mike just didn't feel like [censored] around and wanted to get to the next hand.

benkahuna 11-09-2005 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're not following this on CardPlayer, you're missing out. This should make for some great t.v. It's down to Hoyt, Hellmuth, and the Mouth.

Matusow is breaking out all the verbal warfare tactics with Hellmuth.

Also, if you recall the WPT episode from a while back where Hoyt pwned Hellmuth and Hellmuth commented that he "couldn't wait to get another crack at him."

Airs on Christmas Eve...thanks Santa!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you didn't watch this live, you missed out.

I think people are going to be raving about the parts that make the television broadcast forever once this event airs.

At one point, Phil was so intensely focused that Mike's verbal warfare was completely ineffective. It was stunning.

I rushed to Vegas yesterday for a little trip just catch this event, found it after wandering Caesar's for a bit and watched it to the end. It was a real privilege and a treat.

Hint: Watch for Mike's reaction at the end. It was priceless.

As for pissing away millions, I doubt there's much chance of that.

The main comment Mike had about winning a million dollars was that it would get him out of debt. Heh. He said this at the table in the middle of the tournament.

One funny thing I think you're unlikely to see in the broadcast is Matusow continually harassing Phil, saying "You're not even supposed to be here." G-d that was funny.

He also said something like "I'm supposed to have blown up and lost by now, Hoyt got lucky to stay in, and Phil's not even supposed to be here, so we're even."

esspo 11-09-2005 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed ... although these days, if he had posted that here, he would have been banned.

[/ QUOTE ]

So sad, and yet, so true.