Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Where to get a good suit? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=374087)

11-08-2005 03:39 AM

Where to get a good suit?

I'm going to be the best man at my brother's wedding in Italy in a few weeks and I need a suit. I've never bought a suit before and have no idea what to look for or what I should expect to spend.

Tron 11-08-2005 03:42 AM

Re: Where to get a good suit?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to be the best man at my brother's wedding in Italy in a few weeks and I need a suit. I've never bought a suit before and have no idea what to look for or what I should expect to spend.

[/ QUOTE ]

A) Why not a tuxedo?

B) Go to Nordstrom's, they will be able to hook you with with a suit for about $800. That is probably what I would classify as a "good" suit, but what do I know anyway?

Boris 11-08-2005 03:42 AM

Go talk to my man Kambiz at Nino Ferretti. 761 S. Los Angeles St. Los Angeles, CA 90014.

d10 11-08-2005 03:43 AM

If I was going to Italy and I needed to buy clothes, I would definitely wait until I was in Italy to buy them.

shant 11-08-2005 03:46 AM

You can get a nice Hugo Boss suit for around 800-1000 depending on where you go with shirts, ties and shoes.

11-08-2005 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A) Why not a tuxedo?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, my bro told me to wear a suit. He's not going to wear a tux either. I guess maybe they don't wear tuxes in Italy?

11-08-2005 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Go talk to my man Kambiz at Nino Ferretti. 761 S. Los Angeles St. Los Angeles, CA 90014.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take your word for it that your man Nino is good, but I live in Chicago, and I'm not gonna make the trip to LA just to buy a suit.

Boris 11-08-2005 03:49 AM

Nordstrom's is an effin rip off.

Boris 11-08-2005 03:53 AM

think about it. the roundtrip airfare is probably $300. You can stay at the Commerce and earn your suit. Kambiz will hook you up the suit for you, for cheap, $300-400 for some sweet threads. I think he steals the [censored]. so basically if you go to Nordstrom's you're gonna fork out minimum $1300 for a decent suit. Trust me you don't want to be cheap when you buy a suit.

rusellmj 11-08-2005 03:56 AM

If you have enough time I think waiting til you get to Italy would be cool. If you were even remotely pressed for time though I'd want the suit before going. Alterations usually take a couple days at best.

Why don't you go shopping with your brother to get something similar?

Cumulonimbus 11-08-2005 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron Burgundy needs advice on where to buy a suit? Shiiiiiiiiiiit.

Cumulonimbus 11-08-2005 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I was going to Italy and I needed to buy clothes, I would definitely wait until I was in Italy to buy them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tron 11-08-2005 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron Burgundy needs advice on where to buy a suit? Shiiiiiiiiiiit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I thought he wore suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a bum.

chisness 11-08-2005 04:37 AM

go to Nordstrom Rack and you can get a reasonable one for like $300. don't waste money on a better brand just for the name because people can spend up to 10k on these so it's not like yours will be that great anyway.

tonypaladino 11-08-2005 06:44 AM

Men's Warehouse

[i]You're gonna like they way you look.
I guarantee It.

Ulysses 11-08-2005 06:51 AM

How much you wanna spend? Macy's often has some pretty good deals on reasonable suits.

ChicagoTroy 11-08-2005 11:35 AM

Correct. It's rare in most of Europe and S.A.

IndieMatty 11-08-2005 11:38 AM

Brooks Brothers; also Macys always has sales on all types of suits.

Los Feliz Slim 11-08-2005 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
think about it. the roundtrip airfare is probably $300. You can stay at the Commerce and earn your suit. Kambiz will hook you up the suit for you, for cheap, $300-400 for some sweet threads. I think he steals the [censored]. so basically if you go to Nordstrom's you're gonna fork out minimum $1300 for a decent suit. Trust me you don't want to be cheap when you buy a suit.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is intruiging, as I live in LA and need some suits. Have you been to the Barney's Wearhouse Sale? That's usually where I get my business clothes, but I missed the August round and it's not back until February.

Mars357 11-08-2005 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Men's Warehouse

You're gonna like they way you look.
I guarantee It.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer. Their service is awesome and they have some very nice suits. Nordstrom? Give me a [censored]' break....

IndieMatty 11-08-2005 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Men's Warehouse

You're gonna like they way you look.
I guarantee It.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer. Their service is awesome and they have some very nice suits. Nordstrom? Give me a [censored]' break....

[/ QUOTE ]

Mens Warehouse (thought it was wearhouse?) does not have "nice" suits.

Chobohoya 11-08-2005 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like OP is passing up a golden opportunity here.

sfer 11-08-2005 11:58 AM

Answers to this are impossible without your location and a budget.

swede123 11-08-2005 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Answers to this are impossible without your location and a budget.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. If your budget is $300 the answer will be much different than if your budget is $3000. If you're looking at the $300 price range do check out Men's Wearhouse. They may not be top shelf designer brands, but they offer pretty good value if you're on a budget.

Swede

arod15 11-08-2005 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much you wanna spend? Macy's often has some pretty good deals on reasonable suits.

[/ QUOTE ]
Real good place = Barneys NYC = 2K
Good Place Jos A Bank= 300-500 dollars for a good one

Also if your in the wedding isnt it normally a tux?

My suggestion is Jos A Bank....(they also let you return it after you worn it)....

4_2_it 11-08-2005 12:23 PM

Jos A Banks -- $400-$500 and you get Suit, Ties and Shirts. Buy wrinkle-free shirts. They cost a little more, but are well worth it (unless of course you like ironing shirts in hotel rooms).

MrMon 11-08-2005 02:41 PM

If you live in Chicago, head out I-88 to Aurora. Premium Outlet Mall. Armani Outlet. You can't do better. There are a few other places to check out there as well, including Brooks Brothers, but be careful, as BB outlet stores often carry a lower line of stuff. The Armani is top notch.

miajag81 11-08-2005 02:47 PM

Jos. A. Bank is always a solid choice. They are always having really good sales on suits - I have a couple nice ones that were normally about $800 each but I got for around $250. Brooks Brothers is also good.

TripleH68 11-08-2005 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can get a nice Hugo Boss suit for around 800-1000 depending on where you go with shirts, ties and shoes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I own several Boss suits. Good value.

jaydub 11-08-2005 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Real good place = Barneys NYC = 2K
Good Place Jos A Bank= 300-500 dollars for a good one

Also if your in the wedding isnt it normally a tux?

My suggestion is Jos A Bank....(they also let you return it after you worn it)....

[/ QUOTE ]

After you've tailored it? You are tailoring it right? An untailored hugo boss will usually look worse than a tailored Mens Warehouse.

My budget votes are as such:
2k+: Armani, avoid the dept stores, go to the real store
800: boss
300: mens warehouse

brooks brothers is a solid choice if it will double as an interview suit or if you cannot wear the european cuts with your body type.

jaydub 11-08-2005 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you live in Chicago, head out I-88 to Aurora. Premium Outlet Mall. Armani Outlet. You can't do better. There are a few other places to check out there as well, including Brooks Brothers, but be careful, as BB outlet stores often carry a lower line of stuff. The Armani is top notch.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it's not, they are not selling the black label.

sfer 11-08-2005 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just a bad choice.

Paluka 11-08-2005 04:00 PM

Macy's really seems like the way to go here. Lots of options in price etc...

jaydub 11-08-2005 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You hate nice Italian suits?

Ray Zee 11-08-2005 04:45 PM

get a 30 year old one from the salvation army. if you saw the suits people wear in europe you would understand what i mean.
the only other people i ever see in a suit are those jehova witness nutcases that wont stop knocking on your door. i finally sicked my dogs on them and that keeps them away.
and of couse the shoe salesmen always wear a suit with a tie that doesnt go with it.

really just ask your brother how well dressed you need to be.

sfer 11-08-2005 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like hand-tailored Italian suits. Armani doesn't fit that categorization.

Boris 11-08-2005 05:07 PM

I've never been to Barney's. I've never been to Nino Ferretti either. But my friend who is a lawyer and a slick dresser goes there. He dresses so good he might be a closet gay, even though he has a wife. I'm going there next time I'm in LA. We could go on a man date and buy clothes. How gay would that be?

jaydub 11-08-2005 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, cause a custom tailored suit is really something the OP is looking for. In what universe does the kid asking where to buy a suit end up at a custom tailor in Italy?

sfer 11-08-2005 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, cause a custom tailored suit is really something the OP is looking for. In what universe does the kid asking where to buy a suit end up at a custom tailor in Italy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Reading comprehension. Did I write custom?

jaydub 11-08-2005 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Reading comprehension. Did I write custom?

[/ QUOTE ]

If that was not your meaning, I fail to understand your point. Are you asserting that black label armani is machine tailored? Have any source for your assertion?