Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   24 hours in London England (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=372853)

Apathy 11-06-2005 08:29 AM

24 hours in London England

I've never been here before. I am here until tuesday morning so I have a little over 24 hours of time to do whatever, any good ideas?

What should I see? do? I don't really feel like sitting in this internet cafe all day today and tommorow.

diebitter 11-06-2005 08:36 AM

Re: 24 hours in London England

Walk buddy.

Walk from Leicester Square to St Pauls, see a few sights.

Walk down oxford street, walk through Hyde Park, see Marble Arch, this morning you can go listen to the mad speakers there.

Go see the Tower of London maybe, and the houses of Parliament/Big Ben.

Try the London Eye (if it's open)

London is a fun place to walk around (like any of the big or old cities).

daryn 11-06-2005 08:37 AM

more like the london eyeSORE

splashpot 11-06-2005 08:38 AM

I was there a few months ago for 2 days. Things I saw:
-Buckingham Palace (overrated)
-Big Ben and Parliament (cool to look at, but nothing to do there)
-Westminster Abby (very interesting if you know anything about the poets and writers who are buried there)
-St. Paul's Cathedral (architectural masterpiece)
-If you like theater, see a play somewhere near Leicester Square
-British Museum (one of the top 5 museums I've been to)
-London Tower

diebitter 11-06-2005 08:40 AM

If it's too wet and you need to be inside the Natural History Museum near South Kensington station is pretty cool (and free). You can even walk to Harrods from it afterwards.

Apathy 11-06-2005 08:42 AM

Also I should add I am staying in the Paddington station area.

spamuell 11-06-2005 08:46 AM

It's a Sunday, go to Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park, listen to the weird speakers, argue with them, find someone who seems reasonable in their arguments with the people speaking, chat to them, explain you're a tourist, latch yourself and enjoy the rest of your time.

diebitter 11-06-2005 08:46 AM

Tube to marble arch (where Speaker's Corner is), and start walking there (get a street map - they sell em at tube stations), and work down Oxford St, Leicester square, trafalgar squar, covent garden, aldwych, to st pauls.

ALSO: There's a UK OOT day on the 19th November in London, if anyone is around then and doesn't know about it. I'll be there, you can pm vavavoom for details, he's organising it (or me if you like).

Bascule 11-06-2005 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
-If you like theater, see a play somewhere near Leicester Square

[/ QUOTE ]

If you like theatre, I suggest going to the National Theatre on the south bank, or the Old Vic (now managed by Kevin Spacey). If you don't like theatre much, Leicester Square is great. (West end productions are aimed more at casual theatre goers and tourists)

OtisTheMarsupial 11-06-2005 11:18 AM

There are few places you can see great stage drama. London is one such place. If you're into that, go get yourself some tickets.

Or you could get lost in a garden maze. That's always fun. There's one at Hampton Court.

If you lilke weird hauntend houses try the London Dungeon. But be prepared for long lines, it's really popular.

There's a wine museum right near the Dungeon.

Get thee to a book store and buy yerself a Green Guide for crying out loud!

skipperbob 11-06-2005 11:20 AM

1.) Find a cozy Pub w/fireplace
2.) Sit
3.) Order
4.) End of 24 hours = Leave

11-06-2005 11:25 AM

http://www.darkhorizons.com/2004/euro/trip4.jpg

HOOLIGANS!

diebitter 11-06-2005 11:27 AM

I can confirm every single bus is just like this, always.

In fact the one in the boots could be me.

And I can also confirm the UK OOT field trip in a coupla weeks will probably have photos just like this one [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

11-06-2005 12:31 PM

It would have helped if you'd said something about what you liked doing!

If you like art, Tate Modern (20th century), Tate Britain (British Art from the last 500 years) and National Gallery (lots of great art from thr European Masters) are all excellent. All are free, as well.

On theatre, the half price ticket booth in Leicester Square sells half prive tickets from the early afternoon onwards. It is a great deal. you might want to buy Time Out or somewhing to give you an ide of what is well reviewed.

If you like food, there are lots of good restaurants. A fairly cheap place I like is Rasa at 61 Dering St (near Oxford Circus). It is a south Indian restaurant specilaising in vegeterian dishes so good that meat-eaters love them. Slightly more exepnsively without breaking the bank, I love the Providores on marylebone High St which serves Asian/Pacific Rim influenced tapas. Nearest tube is Baker St.

Other than that, i agree London is a great City to walk around the centre of.

Mike Haven 11-06-2005 12:44 PM

Whenever I am in London I go to Luton and catch an EasyJet flight to Paris to eat Moules Mariniere.

24 hours in London should give you enough time to enjoy most of the fantastic sights of Paris.

spamuell 11-06-2005 12:48 PM

Easyjet? Until tomorrow, all of ryanair's flights to anywhere in Europe between Wednesday and mid-February are free (excluding taxes). http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/fares...U&base=STN

jkkkk 11-06-2005 02:26 PM

You should find out whats on at Turnmills tonight (if anything) and go.

StevieG 11-06-2005 10:21 PM

National Gallery

It's free, has a lot of good stuff (for example, The Arnolfini Wedding by Jan van Eyck) and you get to see Trafalgar square at the same time.

spamuell 11-07-2005 09:15 AM

Well? What did you do?

Apathy 11-07-2005 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well? What did you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I took some of everyones suggestions. I slept in a bit then went to South Kensington via the underground. Getting there was an adventure in itself as the underground is not the most simple thing to figure out.

Then I went to the Natural History Museum which was really good, I spent a couple hours in there and then walked through Hyde Park. I was pretty hungry so I went in search of food and couldnt really find anything until I was all the up to Marble Arch where I had a fine and exotic dining experience at some place you brits call "Pizza Hut".

After that I walked all over the place deciding not to look at the map book i bought and ended up shopping along the oxford circus/piccadilly circus area. I couldnt find the Arsenal shirt I wanted anywhere but I got some decent souvenier type stuff.

Apparently in London it's Christmas already.

So now I am wanting to heed skipper bobs advice and find a pub (fireplace optional). Where is good to go out on a monday night? I am 20 btw if that makes some difference, also I am back at paddington (I took a double decker to get here, that novelty has certaintly not worn off as I sat on the top despite not really knowing when my stop was.)

diebitter 11-07-2005 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I took a double decker to get here, that novelty has certaintly not worn off as I sat on the top despite not really knowing when my stop was.)

[/ QUOTE ]

was it just like this?
http://www.darkhorizons.com/2004/euro/trip4.jpg

Natural History Museum is great. I used to go study there every week during my lead-up to final exams for my ecology/science degree.

And every day is Christmas in London!

Go to Covent Garden tonight!

Apathy 11-07-2005 03:30 PM

Hahaha eurotrip is a great flick, and I'll try to keep out of any Man U pubs.

What is covent garden like? you going?

my book says covent garden is an area, so what should i go to in particular, or am i just looking at the worng thing?

diebitter 11-07-2005 03:33 PM

no, I'm not in London [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] (I am from London though)

It is an area, but there's a tube stop ('covent garden') there, go to that, and you can't miss it (its a pedestrianised area). Lots of young people, tourists, theatre goers. Quite lively!

There's a pub below ground there (I think it's the 'punch and judy'). There's also lots of other pubs nearby.

Apathy 11-07-2005 03:38 PM

Awesome I think i may check that out, doesnt look like its too far from the parliment buildings and big ben and all that so maybe ill walk by them.

diebitter 11-07-2005 03:39 PM

Go to them first, walk up the mall to Trafalgar Square, and Covent Garden is only a little further!

nicky g 11-07-2005 03:41 PM

Paddington in my experience is not a great place for decent pubs so I wouldn't stay there for the evening, although I don't know it that well. You're near Notting Hill, bits of it are very young and lively. Don't know it too well either but here is some info:

My Notting Hill

diebitter 11-10-2005 05:35 AM

How about a final report?

Did you like London? Cockneys? Best places? Worst places?

and so on...

diebitter 11-13-2005 01:01 PM

AND THEN?