Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Dealer keeps showing people my cards (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=372644)

SNOWBALL138 11-05-2005 08:59 PM

Dealer keeps showing people my cards

This is a recurring problem for me. I call to the river and lose. I muck my hand, and someone at the table says "I want to see that hand". Dealer pulls my cards out of the muck and shows them.

One time I called the floor on this one woman because she kept asking the dealer for my cards. The floor agreed that she was abusing the rule. Lastnight, I called the floor when a woman who asked to see my cards got the dealer to retrieve them from the muck and then started screaming at me when I told her that she was being rude.

The floor said "she has the right to see your hand"
I said "she's abusing the rule"
Floor says "everyone has the right to see your hand"
I say "Are you telling me that I have to show my cards on the river everytime even when I don't bet? Thats not poker, floorman"
etc, etc.

This is a pet peeve of mine. I've had this pulled on my 5 times in the last 10 hours I've been playing. Is there anything I can do? I seriously want to stop the dealer from showing my cards by eating them or something. Its driving me nuts.

Pov 11-05-2005 09:01 PM

Re: Dealer keeps showing people my cards

Try mucking a winner.

AngusThermopyle 11-05-2005 09:13 PM

If someone does it to you, every time they are in a pot at the river, ask to see their cards.

Alternatively, learn to turbo-muck.

Bremen 11-05-2005 09:14 PM

It is thoroughly annoying, yes. However you can take solice in the thought that virtually everyone who does this is a losing poker player. So theoretically the more people who do this at a table the bestter your edge.

SNOWBALL138 11-05-2005 09:25 PM

I do turbomuck. The dealer REMOVES my cards from the muck. This is all at hollywood park of course.

11-05-2005 09:34 PM

at my local B&M theres a rule against this. Once you muck your cards, only you can "unmuck" them. If someone wants to see them, its entirely on you to do so.

Ive never seen someone "Check" someones mucked cards. If they did, I'm sure they would get a stern talking to.

11-05-2005 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lastnight, I called the floor when a woman who asked to see my cards . . .
The floor said "she has the right to see your hand"
I said "she's abusing the rule"

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a fan of the IWTSTH rule, buty you are never going to get a floor person to rule that a single instance of asking to see your cards is abusing the rule.

highlife 11-05-2005 10:04 PM

practice firing your cards into the muck so they are unretrievable. the other thing to do is ask to see every single persons hand mucked.

11-05-2005 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is thoroughly annoying, yes. However you can take solice in the thought that virtually everyone who does this is a losing poker player. So theoretically the more people who do this at a table the bestter your edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Negative

DeadMoneyOC 11-05-2005 11:20 PM

My move would be to make sure you see that womens cards everytime she goes to show down. Make sure you really act like a nit when you do it also...I did this to one guy over the summer, I totally tilted the [censored] out of him. It was awesome.

11-05-2005 11:30 PM

fire them in so that they mix with the muck- low and hard. they may shuffle in. or throw them at someone else's cards who just surrendered.

UATrewqaz 11-06-2005 12:11 AM

Stop playing at this retarded place.

SNOWBALL138 11-06-2005 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its close to my house and I have a good line on a lot of the regulars. But yeah, Hollywood park sucks.

RunDownHouse 11-06-2005 01:33 AM

What's the deal on consistently firing a card off the table? I'd think calling for a new setup every time you go to showdown would suck horribly for everyone, but you maybe bothered enough that its acceptable for you.

A_Junglen 11-06-2005 02:11 AM

Wow, that sounds like a little detail that sound really really get under my skin.

11-06-2005 03:22 AM

If this happens to you once or twice a night it's no big deal and there's nothing you can do about it. If you feel that the rule is being abused and the house does not agree I suggest asking the table, before you muck "Is there anyone who wants to be rude and ask to see my hand AGAIN or can I muck them now?"

That might do it.

11-06-2005 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I suggest asking the table, before you muck "Is there anyone who wants to be rude and ask to see my hand AGAIN or can I muck them now?"

That might do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is a most excellent solution.

REL18 11-06-2005 05:19 AM

HP does suck i was owning the 100 nl for 12 bb over 80 visits of 4 hours plus and this loser loses one big pot to me asks to card me floor comes cards me and im [censored] i cash out im sure im on camera and cant come back lol

jba 11-06-2005 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fire them in so that they mix with the muck- low and hard. they may shuffle in. or throw them at someone else's cards who just surrendered.

[/ QUOTE ]

the dealers who deserve the very biggest tips IMO are the ones that know exactly what you are doing when you do this and angle the muck pile so your cards are irretrievable.

andyfox 11-06-2005 12:50 PM

"This is a recurring problem for me. I call to the river and lose."

Sounds like you need Mr. Sklansky's advice on cards more than on women. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Mason Hellmuth 11-06-2005 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HP does suck i was owning the 100 nl for 12 bb over 80 visits of 4 hours plus

[/ QUOTE ]
So you were up by twenty-four dollars? OWNAGE!

11-06-2005 01:53 PM

When I fold a hand, I deliberately slide them so that they touch the muck. At that point, my hand is dead and no one can see it

11-06-2005 01:53 PM

Not Just a westcoast problem

I had the same issue at foxwoods and once at borgata...
the solution was i warned the floor that i would respectfully ask to see all the cards on every hand...
that was the last time i was asked to show after some words from the other players to the guy who asked three times to see mine

Rick Nebiolo 11-06-2005 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its close to my house and I have a good line on a lot of the regulars. But yeah, Hollywood park sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

We've probably played and my guess is you have a line on me. Which is why I'm trying to change my line and not post NL strategy under my own name anymore.

~ Rick

Eihli 11-06-2005 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Try mucking a winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best solution by far.

11-06-2005 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I fold a hand, I deliberately slide them so that they touch the muck. At that point, my hand is dead and no one can see it

[/ QUOTE ]

That really doesn't matter, because the dealer will simply pull them OUT of the muck and show them.

The rule is, if you go all the way THROUGH and INCLUDING showdown, be it if you bet or anyone bets or NOT, if someone demands to see your cards, then anyone at your table can indeed do so (even if they were NOT in the hand).

However, it's really considered BAD form to do this. The rule was created back in the days when cheating was rampant, and thus, when you do this to another player, you are insinuating that they are cheating.

My advice to the OP is this, if no one bets on the river, and you KNOW you don't have the winning hand, and you have someone doing this to you more than once ... MUCK your cards when the dealer comes to you, even if it was checked to you.

That way, you never went all the way to showdown (since you folded when it was your turn, checked or not), and thus they would have NO right to see your cards then.

eviljeff 11-06-2005 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
HP does suck i was owning the 100 nl for 12 bb over 80 visits of 4 hours plus

[/ QUOTE ]
So you were up by twenty-four dollars? OWNAGE!

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao

IgorSmiles 11-06-2005 04:03 PM

Just show your cards and move on. Yes, it's annoying but the disruption to the game is more annoying.

11-06-2005 05:04 PM

This is a pet peeve of mine as well. One time when I was dealing at Ocean’s 11 there was a guy who sat down and started asking to see almost everyone’s mucked hands. The game was super donkish and I’m not sure anyone even noticed or knew enough to be annoyed and so he just went on with it. But as soon as I got pushed I told the floor who then walked over to the table and said to the new dealer, in a loud voice, “(Dealer) let me know if anyone abuses the ‘see mucked hands’ rule.” That put a stop to it.

Percula 11-06-2005 05:23 PM

What I have found to work the best at putting a stop to this crap...

When someone asks to see a mucked hand, rather it is yours or someone else's hand. In a loud and angry voice "So what makes you think that he is cheating! I want to know, right now! I have played several hands with this person and if they are cheating I want to know right now damn it! Floor!!!"

When they look at you totally shocked and mutter "I dont think they are cheating. I just want to see what they were calling with", jump all over their [censored]. "Then why the hell are you using a rule that is ONLY there to prevent cheating!".

Once you put it terms of cheating, most people will stop asking because they do not want to look like they are calling another player a cheater.

Namdrahsirhc 11-07-2005 01:08 AM

Wow, i was just about to start a thread on this.

There is this one "regular" at Ceasars AC where I always play. I think his name is Brian. Hes a middle aged guy who looks like he hit the bottle a little too hard. I was playing a very LAG game, raising with weak cards trying to generate some looser action in the 1/2 NL game.

Anyway, he asks the dealer no less than 5 times to see my hand at showdown, even once when it was checked on both the turn and the river. And all 5 times the dealer turned them up. I tried turbomucking and throwing them as hard as i could at the deck, but it was hard as i was in the 7 or 8 seat farthest away from the muck :/.

Then, the next day, he was at my table AGAIN and was doing the same [censored] to me and then always had a comment about how weak my hand was lol

BassMasterK 11-07-2005 02:13 AM

I have always handled it this way, and I have NEVER had someone ask a second time to see my mucked hand at showdown.

When the person requests to see my hand, I politely say to the dealer "before you show my cards, can you please call the floor". They call the floor over and I again, politely say to the floor "this person thinks I am cheating and I would like to know on what grounds they are making this accusation." The vast majority of players don't seem to know the origins of the rule and they get very defensive and embarassed and say "I never said you were cheating, I just want to see your cards" ect... so then I ask the floor "the rule is used to prevent cheating by collusion, is it not? So if he/she wants to see my cards it's because they think I am cheating, right?" and the floor says yes, and even though the person still has the right to see my hand, I would say 90% of them just say don't bother because now they feel uncomfortable about the whole situation. Most players looking for information don't want to be assosciated with accusing people of cheating.

It has worked for me and then you have one small tie up of the game for a minute rather than have bad feeling when you retaliate by calling it on them, or calling it on everyone and having the floor get involved more because people are abusing it.

stinkypete 11-07-2005 08:39 AM

play higher limits

11-07-2005 10:25 AM

If you are in the hand at showdown, ANY player at the table is allowed to ask to see your cards. And frankly, they would be smart to. First, it gives information, and second, your reaction is likely to tilt you... and I WANT tilted players at the table with me.

There is no abuse of the rule.

SNOWBALL138 11-07-2005 12:25 PM

You're kidding right?

11-07-2005 12:51 PM

If I found something that would tilt the potentially strongest player at the table, I'd do it in a second if it were legal.

I understand the reasoning behind the original rule... but the simple fact of the matter is that it is still a rule and the reasoning behind wanting to see someone's cards is immaterial. If the floor wants to make it seem like the rule is ONLY for cheating, I will simply say "something doesnt seem right about his play".

Bonus points, because that will tilt half the table.

mrkilla 11-07-2005 01:07 PM

next time ask the women directly" Do you think I am cheating?" when she looks at you puzzled explain the rule and why its there. Its not to see what your playing.
Also when you muck, fling them in [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] lol or atleast get them in the middle so there un retrievable

ChicagoTroy 11-07-2005 01:13 PM

I don't know if they arrange the muck or anything, but shooting your cards deep into it should make it hard to retrieve them. I find the dealer pulls out at least one wrong card 60% of the time, though my sample size is small.

11-07-2005 01:22 PM

Here's the thing though - once it becomes an issue, I dont even care what the cards are anymore. They are trash. Thats why they were mucked... but asking for them is going to piss you off and one less good player at the table is +ev for me.

11-07-2005 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I found something that would tilt the potentially strongest player at the table, I'd do it in a second if it were legal.

I understand the reasoning behind the original rule... but the simple fact of the matter is that it is still a rule and the reasoning behind wanting to see someone's cards is immaterial. If the floor wants to make it seem like the rule is ONLY for cheating, I will simply say "something doesnt seem right about his play".

Bonus points, because that will tilt half the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

The rule is that you have the "privilege" to see a called hand at showdown. Operative word is privilege. Most of the rule books I have seen are worded this way and that privilege may be revoked for abuse.

My favorite story regarding this was pulled off by a friend of mine who executed the greatest slowroll ever. An old man was asking to see every hand at the river. After asking to see my friend's hand multiple times he was fed up with this guy.

A hand came up where he made the nuts on the river and just smooth called the old mans bet. The old man showed his hand and my friend declared "nice hand" and placed his cards face down in front of him. The dealer began swiping them in when sure enough true to form the old man said "I want to see that hand" Blam over comes the nuts, the pot gets reawarded, old man freaks out, and never asks to see a hand again.