Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   New ABC News Poll (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=371353)

11-03-2005 08:21 PM

New ABC News Poll

http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/4318/bushpoll1ei.jpg

39% Approval. Better still, 55% believe the administration "intentionally misled" the nation about the war.

Story here.

My favorite part is the sidebar box to related stories. Dig these headlines:
http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/3405/bushbox2jk.jpg

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Arnfinn Madsen 11-03-2005 08:30 PM

Re: New ABC News Poll

[ QUOTE ]

Better still, 55% believe the administration "intentionally misled" the nation about the war.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if often humanity progresses frustratingly slowly, it is good to get confirmation that it still progresses.

PoBoy321 11-03-2005 10:09 PM

Let's see how Dems can, once again, fail to use this turn people away from the Republican party and translate it into support for the Democrats.

TomCollins 11-03-2005 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's see how Dems can, once again, fail to use this turn people away from the Republican party and translate it into support for the Democrats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vote Democrat! We aren't Republicans!

Jedster 11-03-2005 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That may be enough this time around...probably not, but maybe.

PoBoy321 11-03-2005 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because that approach is so much worse than "Vote Republican! Democrats hate America!"

Cut the [censored], you know that winning seats is as much of a game as any and the Democrats need to take this opportunity as a way to shake the Republican base and outline a plan for America which, as I said before, I'm confident they'll once again fail to do.

11-03-2005 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Success or defeat won't be decided by GWB's poll performance - good or bad.

People who favor George Allen, for instance, be they Repub or Dem, will vote for him. And there'll be those voting for him (if he's chosen) simply as a vote against the Dem's choice. It'll always be that way.

For the Dems to succeed, they've got to find a candidate the majority of the voters, not just the "faithful," believe isn't a dyed-in-the-wool ideologue. Someone who is more centrist than the 10-13% of the party.

Mr. Clinton proved it. Mrs. Clinton is trying to do the same.

There are more folks who usually vote Repub that will vote for a moderate/centrist Dem if the Repub is a radical right-wingnut than the party understands. Or will admit.

PoBoy321 11-03-2005 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Success or defeat won't be decided by GWB's poll performance - good or bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was kind of my point. GWB's performance ratings are slipping, but I don't think that the Dems will translate that into faith in the Republican party as a whole slipping.

[ QUOTE ]
For the Dems to succeed, they've got to find a candidate the majority of the voters, not just the "faithful," believe isn't a dyed-in-the-wool ideologue. Someone who is more centrist than the 10-13% of the party.

Mr. Clinton proved it. Mrs. Clinton is trying to do the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree, but the problem is that nearly all of our charismatic potential candidates are either women or minorities, and let's face it, we're still a long way from having anyone but a white man in the Oval Office.

lehighguy 11-03-2005 11:04 PM

GEtting a women elected would be the easiest accomplishment possible. 50% of voters would side with her regardless of what party she was in or what issues she supported.

11-03-2005 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That was kind of my point.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought it was. I was stating it in a different way in case it wasn't. Purely in the interest of making my own point.

[ QUOTE ]

...but I don't think that the Dems will translate that into faith in the Republican party as a whole slipping.

[/ QUOTE ]
Behind closed doors the pragmatists won't. In the press and on all their podiums (podia?) they'll hammer away continuously like it's a sign from on high. It's the "red meat" thingie. (gotta keep them party faithful happy dont'cha know)

[ QUOTE ]

I completely agree, but the problem is that nearly all of our charismatic potential candidates are either women or minorities, and let's face it, we're still a long way from having anyone but a white man in the Oval Office.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I was betting I'd probably go along with you. However, the country might, just might I repeat, be getting fed up with us "white guys." There's enough discontent about GWB, Clinton, GHWB, etc., and so much speculation about Condi and Hillary, well I'm still not betting - for or agin'.

whiskeytown 11-03-2005 11:32 PM

Barack Obama has been working with Republican Senators who are big into foreign policy - they were in the UK recently and looking at the situation with WMD's being available to rogue Russian states -

usually, when they focus on foreign policy, they're considering a presidental run - I'd love to see him in 2012 -

RB

11-04-2005 12:39 AM

Obama working with Repubs? Jeeze, this is either extremely good news, extremely bad news or pigs are about to start leavin' tha' runways! (if it's tha' pig thing, I'm stayin' inside)

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Toro 11-04-2005 10:59 AM

The lesson here for voters should be competence. Instead of focusing so much on ideology, we should be electing competent people. That should be the lesson for both partys, run competent people.

Easy E 11-04-2005 11:32 AM

97% accurate!

<font color="green">This ABC News/Washington Post poll was conducted by telephone Oct. 30-Nov. 2, 2005, among a random national sample of 1,202 adults. The results have a three-point error margin. Fieldwork by TNS of Horsham, PA.</font>

I don't know much about the "science" of polling, but 3% error for 1/100,000 of the adult population?

Beer and Pizza 11-04-2005 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The lesson here for voters should be competence. Instead of focusing so much on ideology, we should be electing competent people. That should be the lesson for both partys, run competent people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the competence idea. I think the fact that we usually elect governors is a reflection that Americans also want someone with executive experience.

The problem is that none of these: Kerry, Gore, Dole, Clinton, or Perot strike me as competent. We haven't had much choice if you are looking for competence.

11-04-2005 12:05 PM

Re: 97% accurate!

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="green">This ABC News/Washington Post poll was conducted by telephone Oct. 30-Nov. 2, 2005, among a random national sample of 1,202 adults. The results have a three-point error margin. Fieldwork by TNS of Horsham, PA.</font>

I don't know much about the "science" of polling, but 3% error for 1/100,000 of the adult population?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you don't know much about polling.

Peca277 11-04-2005 12:18 PM

Gov. Mark Warner my friend. He is the golden ticket in '08.

hmkpoker 11-04-2005 12:29 PM

Re: 97% accurate!

That's trivial considering the ability of manipulation they have on the polls [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Nepa 11-04-2005 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/4318/bushpoll1ei.jpg

39% Approval. Better still, 55% believe the administration "intentionally misled" the nation about the war.

Story here.

My favorite part is the sidebar box to related stories. Dig these headlines:
http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/3405/bushbox2jk.jpg

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone know what Cheney's Approval rating is? I heard somewhere that it was in the 20's.

11-04-2005 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Does anyone know what Cheney's Approval rating is? I heard somewhere that it was in the 20's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why, I'm glad you asked. In the latest CBS poll, Cheney's favorable/unfavorable numbers were 19/44.
[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

tylerdurden 11-04-2005 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And everyone should be nice. And have a pony.

11-04-2005 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And everyone should be nice. And have a pony.

[/ QUOTE ]
LMAO

Santa, I been good. Can I get me some new golf clubs? Huh? Huh? Please?

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Toro 11-04-2005 03:19 PM

Oh man, I got tweeked by someone from the great state of Arkansas! Yeah, you would find competence pretty funny.

tylerdurden 11-04-2005 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh man, I got tweeked by someone from the great state of Arkansas! Yeah, you would find competence pretty funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point is that your "plan" of only electing "competent" leaders is unworkable. First of all, it depends on everyone believing in the same conditions for competence that you do.

Second of all, this plan has zero reseliency. When it fails, what do you do? Just cross your fingers and hope you can survive for four years?

In a decentralized system, incompetent boobs are routed around. Their ability to do damage is naturally limited.

Nepa 11-04-2005 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why, I'm glad you asked. In the latest CBS poll, Cheney's favorable/unfavorable numbers were 19/44.
[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you notice the the Leak investigation numbers compared with Watergate and Iran Contra were about the same?

Tyler Durden 11-04-2005 08:06 PM

I dont care what you think about polls, they are very, very, very important.

Dan Mezick 11-05-2005 12:31 AM

This is the proverbial easy out for cell-phone-toting SUV drivers who heat their heavily mortaged homes with heating oil.

We are all responsible for Iraq. Pretending we were misled and did not know at the time is just drama.

Jedster 11-05-2005 06:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the proverbial easy out for cell-phone-toting SUV drivers who heat their heavily mortaged homes with heating oil.

We are all responsible for Iraq. Pretending we were misled and did not know at the time is just drama.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Howard Dean and Ted Kennedy are mostly responsible.

11-05-2005 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That was kind of my point. GWB's performance ratings are slipping, but I don't think that the Dems will translate that into faith in the Republican party as a whole slipping.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are obviously delusional. Yes, there will always be a certain segment of society that can't find their ass with both hands and will always vote Repbulcian. That segment is showing itself to be about 35% of the country.

However, it is the swing voters who decide national elections. That segment is around 20-30% of the country and will vote for the person, not the party. Incompetent Boob NUmber ONe has shown himself to be seriously derelict in his duties and this will most definitely play out in the next Congressional elections with the Democrats taking control of the Senate.

Nepa 11-10-2005 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did the Dems have Success this Tuesday?

Cyrus 11-10-2005 07:29 AM

Going soft on Dubya

[ QUOTE ]
My favorite part is the sidebar box to related stories.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have four smileys underneath the links but there are five stories in there.

Which story did not tickle your fancy?