Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   If this isnt standard (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=369800)

11-01-2005 05:33 PM

If this isnt standard

It should be

SB is 33/5/1.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (5 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 9 BB

11-01-2005 05:38 PM

Re: If this isnt standard

Everything looks good, except WHY call preflop and not raise?!

imported_leader 11-01-2005 05:40 PM

I wouldn't do this against someone that I didn't know would bet the trun so I could raise.

aargh57 11-01-2005 05:41 PM

I'm guessing to conceal the strength of your hand. If you 3 bet you're not going to get as much action postflop.

imported_leader 11-01-2005 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing to conceal the strength of your hand. If you 3 bet you're not going to get as much action postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Players have a lot less respect for a 3-bet when it's blind on blind

jba 11-01-2005 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd rather do things like 3bet JTs here.

mperich 11-01-2005 05:48 PM

You are missing too much value by trying to get too fancy here.

-Mike

kidcolin 11-01-2005 06:07 PM

I'd rather 3-bet JTs AND AA here. You should have no problem getting postflop action with AA here.

So to the OP, this isn't close to standard. The standard is to 3-bet.

jba 11-01-2005 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather 3-bet JTs AND AA here.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what I meant.

11-01-2005 07:01 PM

Look at this guys stats.

1st - his PFR:
If he's raising, theres a greater chance that he's on a steal than that he's got a legitimate hand.

2nd - his agression factor:
Since he's likely on a steal, if I show a large amount of strength he will revert to his normal-callstation self.

Plus:
In many cases these guys will follow up the flop bet with a turn bet. This becomes less likely when I 3bet preflop.
This play lets me raise the turn to get an extra SB out of the hand.

Until its proven that the guy goes absolutely berserk in the blinds, its better to assume that he doesnt.

stigmata 11-01-2005 07:06 PM

Yeah just 3-bet it preflop and when he flops his crappy top pair you go to war with him and gain in so many ways.

Catt 11-01-2005 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Look at this guys stats.

1st - his PFR:
If he's raising, theres a greater chance that he's on a steal than that he's got a legitimate hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there's anything in his stats that can tell you this. One could argue that with a PFR of 5 he doesn't really ever steal, and the vast majority of his raises are legitimate hands.

[ QUOTE ]
Plus:
In many cases these guys will follow up the flop bet with a turn bet. This becomes less likely when I 3bet preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which you could have gotten by three-betting pre-flop. And those times when he has a legitimate hand, your 3-bet may be met with a cap, and may not deter any post-flop action.

11-01-2005 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think there's anything in his stats that can tell you this. One could argue that with a PFR of 5 he doesn't really ever steal, and the vast majority of his raises are legitimate hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to PT his attempt to steal is nearly 5X that of his pfr.

edit - maybe I should have included that earlier [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] "?

kidcolin 11-01-2005 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Plus:

[/ QUOTE ]

Which you could have gotten by three-betting pre-flop. And those times when he has a legitimate hand, your 3-bet may be met with a cap, and may not deter any post-flop action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice point, Catt. Another addition to it. A player of this caliber won't often follow up on the turn without a piece of the board, so you won't always get that extra small bet. The 3-bet preflop ensures at least 3 SBs, and he'll peel a lot of unscary flops even if he misses.

AlwaysWrong 11-01-2005 09:46 PM

If you're so sure this is right, why are you posting?

Could you try to be a little more arrogant next time? That'd be really impressive.

imported_leader 11-01-2005 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

According to PT his attempt to steal is nearly 5X that of his pfr.

edit - maybe I should have included that earlier [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] "?

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't seem possible. Att. to Steal blinds is the likely hood that he raises in MP,CO,BT, and SB when first in. How could that be 25 and his PFR be 5?

imported_leader 11-01-2005 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Could you try to be a little more arrogant next time? That'd be really impressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? That seems uncalled for. He thinks he made the right play. If he can prove that it he would be pointing out a flaw in the standard strategy around here.

Jeff W 11-01-2005 10:04 PM

Slowplaying AA pre flop is wrong against this opponent.

Raise the flop.

11-01-2005 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not 100% sure this is right, but I think it can be in the right circumstances. This might be one of them.

If you would rather my hand posts be the boring other 99% of the hands that I play, thats fine, but I don't find much value in discussing those things. I might find 3 to 5 interesting hands in a 500-1k hand session.

Anyways, I dont know how the stats work out, but im guessing its an indication that he molests the BB a lot when its folded to him in the SB.

Jerkass333 11-02-2005 12:28 AM

I dont think sb open-raises count for the atsb stat. Just CO and BTN I believe. I might be wrong but I think thats how it is. Anyone know for sure?

11-02-2005 02:50 AM

Just CO/BU according to the documentation, but who knows? My steal stats have never made sense.

This line sucks. Three-bet preflop, raise the flop. The only reason this looks good is because your opponent either was slowplaying as well or inexplicably decided to take a shot with nothing. (Or he passed you on the river).

imported_leader 11-02-2005 04:20 AM

For clarification, I was wrong before. It's just CO and Button. I checked it on PT.

PTjvs 11-02-2005 11:51 AM

If by standard you mean making the least, then this is very standard.

Using this line you get like .5 extra SB when he's on a steal &amp; willing to call the river raise, AND hasnt hit a hand to beat you, and miss out on like 3-4 BB when he actually has a big hand.

In addition, next time he raises in this situation, when you don't 3bet he knows you don't have a big pair.

This is FPS IMO.

27offsooot 11-02-2005 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It should be

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I just stop reading here? Posts with this tone suck. Your play in this hand sucks. Three bet pre-flop, the dude is passive, so u won't extract as much by concealing ur hand. Your three betting range should be fairly wide, so he won't put u on a top hand right away. Wait for oppt against aggressive opponents to get cute.