Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Sig Sauer P226 9mm (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=368885)

Subfallen 10-31-2005 12:23 PM

Sig Sauer P226 9mm

Correct first handgun?

http://www.sigarms.com/apps/cmt/img/p226-large.jpg

rusellmj 10-31-2005 12:27 PM

Re: Sig Sauer P226 9mm

Does it fit your hand?

Edit: My first handgun was a revolver. Don't discount them.

10-31-2005 12:28 PM

Breaking news: you don't need a gun. That is all.

10-31-2005 12:28 PM

That's damned nice, but I'd suggest .45ACP instead of 9mm. Not as likely to overpenetrate which is particularly important in heavily populated areas like apartments. And the knockdown power is nice.

But that'll work.

wacki 10-31-2005 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Breaking news:You don't need oxygen. That is all.

swede123 10-31-2005 12:32 PM

This is a pretty solid choice, SIGs are great. I like the 9mm pick for now, as the cheap ammo will ensure lots of practice shooting compared to a .40 or a .45.

Just be sure to test-shoot it some before buying it, make sure it feels right in your hand, compared to a Glock or Steyr or something.

Swede

Lady Dont Tekno 10-31-2005 12:36 PM

Is this for personal protection?

LDT

jakethebake 10-31-2005 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My first handgun was a revolver. Don't discount them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is good advice. With that said, my father-in-law has one andreally likes it. I like the P226 ok too. I don't own one but have fired it, although I like my Glock more.

Subfallen 10-31-2005 12:42 PM

1. I have big hands, grip size is not an issue.
2. Actually, I do need a gun.
3. Primary purpose is becoming an expert marksman.

10-31-2005 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Breaking news: no one is out to get you. Ditch the gun and increase your life expectancy. That is all.

jakethebake 10-31-2005 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Breaking news: no one is out to get you. Ditch the gun and increase your life expectancy. That is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a moron.

swede123 10-31-2005 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know Jake isn't messing around when he actually spells it correctly. For what it's worth, I agree wholeheartedly.

Swede

Larimani 10-31-2005 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At least one person in here still got some sense... But hey, it's ok... The more americans kill each other, the better the global gene pool gets.

10-31-2005 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You're a moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're my favorite Jerry's kid. Let us know when you can walk around without the helmet.

Subfallen 10-31-2005 12:56 PM

Dear [censored],

I'm sorry my thread is not going well. Please do not ban me.

Humbly,
Subfallen

10-31-2005 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was up to my knees in rice patties . . . while pussies like you were home wearing headbands, smoking pot, listening to the goddamn Beatles albums . . . AHH! AHH! AHH!

<font color="white">I just rewatched "Back to School" this weekend </font>

10-31-2005 01:02 PM

I love the sigs. I am a police officer and it is what I carry. However, I do recommend the P228 or P229.

The 9mm P228 is a little smaller and easier to handle. The 226 can carry more rounds but non-law enforcement/military are not allowed to carry magazines with more than 10 rounds anyway so in my opinion the 226 is not necessary.

If for some reason a 9mm is not enough firepower for you, then I recommend the P229. It is a .357 semi-auto that is the same size as the 9mm with more firepower.

Sigs are very expensive. They are worth the price but it is a high price. If you are just looking for something to shoot recreationally, look for something cheaper or just rent one at a range. Shooting is fun (great stress reliever!) and is constitutionally protected, but if you get a gun take safety glasses!

If you are lookng for something for personal/home defense, I am not gonna get into a 2nd ammendement debate here but as a law enforcement officer, I can tell you your money is better spent on other means (Martial Arts, Alarm System, etc.) Unless you face some specific threat AND have the training, a gun is not going to help.

Yes, I know the right to bear arms is protected...but remember, you are also protected from self-incrimination...Don't put yourself in a position where you need protection from either!

wacki 10-31-2005 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, this has worked very well in washington DC. Leave this thread and move to politics please. A simple search will show you that the stats show crime decreases when citizens are armed. But we are hijaking this thread. This is a no politics zone ya pansy!

swede123 10-31-2005 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dear [censored],

I'm sorry my thread is not going well. Please do not ban me.

Humbly,
Subfallen

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry about [censored] , he's going Thoreau on us and in comparison moderating this cesspool probably won't seem very significant.

Swede

wacki 10-31-2005 01:03 PM

The sig is a very good gun. I suggest you go to a gun club and try a bunch out. Guns are like shoes. You need to know which one fits you best.

swede123 10-31-2005 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
non-law enforcement/military are not allowed to carry magazines with more than 10 rounds anyway so in my opinion the 226 is not necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope the average police officer has a better grasp of the law than you, my friend.

Swede

10-31-2005 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, this has worked very well in washington DC. Leave this thread and move to politics please. A simple search will show you that the stats show crime decreases when citizens are armed. But we are hijaking this thread. This is a no politics zone ya pansy!

[/ QUOTE ]

Just trying to save someone's life. But I will cease.

jakethebake 10-31-2005 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shooting is fun (great stress reliever!) and is constitutionally protected, but if you get a gun take safety glasses!

[/ QUOTE ]

Classes are good too.

tonypaladino 10-31-2005 01:15 PM

How much does a cheap handgun cost?

I've been thinking about getting one for a while.
I live in NY, would it be cheaper to drive somewhere and get a legal one or find a "special deal" around here?

jakethebake 10-31-2005 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much does a cheap handgun cost?

I've been thinking about getting one for a while.
I live in NY, would it be cheaper to drive somewhere and get a legal one or find a "special deal" around here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on what you want. You can find cheap but relaible guns for &lt;$100.

swede123 10-31-2005 01:17 PM

If you want a cheap, starter type handgun look at Ruger. You can get a Ruger P95 for about 200 bucks. This is a 9mm, quality semi-automatic. You can find even cheaper stuff, but then the quality starts to deteriorate. Also, consider looking a slightly used handgun, this will usually save a hundred bucks or so compared to a new model.

Added... If you live in NY city you pretty much can't legally own a handgun as a civilian. Sucks but that's how it is.

Swede

Subfallen 10-31-2005 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The sig is a very good gun. I suggest you go to a gun club and try a bunch out. Guns are like shoes. You need to know which one fits you best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, will do. Mostly I just want to develop into a good marksman, and from my preliminary research the P226 sounds like a very accurate gun to learn on.

jakethebake 10-31-2005 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want a cheap, starter type handgun look at Ruger. You can get a Ruger P95 for about 200 bucks. This is a 9mm, quality semi-automatic. You can find even cheaper stuff, but then the quality starts to deteriorate. Also, consider looking a slightly used handgun, this will usually save a hundred bucks or so compared to a new model.

[/ QUOTE ]

Revolvers are usually cheaper though. There decent used revolvers that aren't too expensive.

swede123 10-31-2005 01:22 PM

If you want to primarily use this gun for target practice you should also consider getting a .22. These guns are incredibly cheap to shoot and excellent for developing your skills without any recoil. Also, most quality guns come with conversion kits that lets you put a .22 barrel onto your 9mm. This combines the best of the two worlds really, and it's something you should think about.

Swede

cwsiggy 10-31-2005 01:22 PM

Apparently if you live in Florida, you can now blow anyone away for fun if they enter your house! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

jakethebake 10-31-2005 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently if you live in Florida, you can now blow anyone away for fun if they enter your house! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would someone enter my house unless they were invited or doing something they deserve to get shot for?

edit: nevermind. this belongs in politics.

jakethebake 10-31-2005 01:25 PM

Anyone know what a Ruger SP101 goes for these days? Anyone own one? I considered one awhile back but never followed up.

cwsiggy 10-31-2005 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would someone enter my house unless they were invited or doing something they deserve to get shot for?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was kidding, but you knew that.

jakethebake 10-31-2005 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was kidding, but you knew that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your avatar creeps me out. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

10-31-2005 01:31 PM

Sorry Swede, I forgot the ban expired on 9/31/04. And yes, I realize that it didn't include magazines manufactured before the ban. I apologize for my error.

Subfallen 10-31-2005 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to primarily use this gun for target practice you should also consider getting a .22. These guns are incredibly cheap to shoot and excellent for developing your skills without any recoil. Also, most quality guns come with conversion kits that lets you put a .22 barrel onto your 9mm. This combines the best of the two worlds really, and it's something you should think about.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet, thx Swede.

HDPM 10-31-2005 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, will do. Mostly I just want to develop into a good marksman, and from my preliminary research the P226 sounds like a very accurate gun to learn on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what you mean by expert marksman. What i don't like about the sig is the DA/SA action with the decocker. It has a few advantages for carry. However, you will need some training right off and you will need to put a lot of rounds through it to get a technique down for safety. Once you do that then you are looking at learning the DA/SA trigger for accuracy, which is a skill in itself. Not the one I would pick, but I look at pistols differently. I don't view them as something for precision marksmanship. The sig is a pistol for combat. Combat involves learning how to put rounds on target well enough and quickly enough with the goings on of a violent confrontation. Standing there punching paper is't what I look at in a pistol. The sig isn't a target gun, so I am not sure what you want. And for a first pistol I would pick a different trigger system. That's just me tho. YMMV. Get training in any event and practice with what you decide on. Did people say get training? Don't put any holes where they don't belong.

ScottyP431 10-31-2005 02:14 PM

Someone already mentioned the 228, it's normally cheaper/easier to get worked on/upgraded since it was a standard FBI issue for some time. Upgradeability could be an important factor if you are looking to become and expert marksman. I assume the other 9mm you would consider are like the beretta 92 or glock 17? Of the three i prefer the glock

Voltron87 10-31-2005 02:17 PM

ive never fired a gun. ever. im looking forward to it.

TiK 10-31-2005 02:36 PM

I really like this gun. I loved how it felt in my hand and the weight distribution. I'm a fan.